Sign in to follow this  
GetLuckySometimes

"Echo" from March 13, 1999

12 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

As a band, they always tried to get closer and closer to the song, playing it without adorning it... playing a song with as little embellishment as you can with a six piece band. Hence, maybe, their getting "heavier".

That seems about right; maybe Mojo being the exception but with that album it was all about letting Mike go wild, so lots of adornment but of one particular aesthetic. GUITARS! :)

cheers

9 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

That seems about right; maybe Mojo being the exception but with that album it was all about letting Mike go wild, so lots of adornment but of one particular aesthetic. GUITARS! :)

cheers

Yeah... though I don't really hear him wandering too much... it may be as close to jamming as the Heartbreakers get (Melinda being another example, albeit in a different musical style), but compared to The Greatful Dead or Neil Young or My Morning Jacket or what have you, it's all still pretty streamlined.

11 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

it may be as close to jamming as the Heartbreakers get (Melinda being another example, albeit in a different musical style)

Definitely. Like when Tom said he wanted the next album to be different than the previous one; it's not like they suddenly turned in avant-garde compositions. For TPATH, a band that valued brevity, Mojo was quite the different record, even if I hated the album (and I like a good chunk on there) I'd still respect it for the attempt!

cheers

On 1/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

As a band, they always tried to get closer and closer to the song, playing it without adorning it... 

I think there is a lot to that. I wouldn't say "without" though. I'd say they're quite the masters of the rather small, yet uniquely briliant and effective adornments. The stuff that serve the song so precise. Those two stray notes, that hanging harmony. In fact, this is what made their special noise. I hear tons of that, and some production value fluff too, on Mojo as well. They sure always liked to keep tight with song though. Very minimalistic with the layers and sideways for the most part. But it's there, if in the fine print, even between the notes at times, to make it them.

I adorn this message! 💈