Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Cutting the cable

Have any of you cut the cable with your cable tv provider? I'm thinking of cutting out TV and keeping internet. Prices just keep going up, $8 in Nov and now another $10 in Dec. I'm up to $200 a month and I don't even have Silver or Gold Packages!!!! I'm not sure whether to switch to indoor antennas for local channels or maybe try something like Firestick. What do you think?

What's stopping me is the fact that my wife and I watch every Seattle Mariners game, and the only way to get those is to subscribe to cable.  I have an over the air antenae and it works great for free HD access to all of the major networks and several other channels.  No complaints there, but I can't get the ballgames, so I'm not cutting the cord. 

It never happened.

"Poor sound quality [Dylan at Newport Folk Festival, 1965] was the reason musician Pete Seeger, who was backstage, gave for disliking the performance: he says he told the audio technicians, "Get that distortion out of his voice ... It's terrible. If I had an axe, I'd chop the microphone cable right now."[13] Seeger has also said, however, that he only wanted to cut the cables because he wanted the audience to hear Dylan's lyrics properly because he thought they were important.[13] Rumors that Seeger actually had an axe, or that a festival board member pulled or wanted to pull out the entire electrical wiring system[11] are apocryphal." (Wikipedia)

Oh. Wrong topic.... Sorry.

16 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

My mother had the Hallmark channel on all throughout December. I'm highly impressed that they manage to have 50+ Christmas movies with the exact same plot.

I actually don't mind that since it's only for the month of December; it's probably comforting to a lot of people to tune into movies with simple themes, no explosions, profanity etc.

For me, whenever I've had opportunity to watch cable I'm amazed people would pay for it and how often the same movies would play over and over. Cooking competitions, real housewives, storage wars, angry british guy chef; but I guess, as mentioned above, they get a lot of people with sports.

There's probably a huge amount that would love to cancel save for losing out on watching their favorite teams. Returning to Nurktwin's original question, it seems people are cutting the cable and finding alternatives; makes sense to me.

And back to your point, they'd play that channel at the gym and it looked like every movie had a scene with a man and a woman talking on a snowy small town street or in front of shoppes, having some kind of romantic and dramatic conversation, sometimes the woman had on a santa hat.

cheers

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

And back to your point, they'd play that channel at the gym and it looked like every movie had a scene with a man and a woman talking on a snowy small town street or in front of shoppes, having some kind of romantic and dramatic conversation, sometimes the woman had on a santa hat.

Personally the best part for me is that a good part of the time if you looked in the background, you could see green grass and fully-leaved trees.

If there is one bill I would LOVE to eliminate it is our Xfinity bill. I loathe that company. However, I'm a news addict, as well as a PBS fan. Also, somewhere, somehow, I became an old TV western fan.  The STARZ ENCORE Western channel  is on an upgraded tier. Natch!