Cameron J. McMenemy

The Best Of Everything date change

On 5 January 2019 at 8:15 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Isn't it a bit much? The Best of Everything? I want you to have the Best of Everything. Not just...some things are the best, others are really good and some are just all right...no, every single thing has to be the best. Jeez. Who is he singing to? The queen? A princess? 

Dear MJ2ndLD,

Are you serious, or did you just get out of bed on the wrong side?? This is a gorgeous song with an extensive backstory, which surely you are aware of, being a super-fan and all.  If somehow it's slipped your memory, go read liner notes about lyrics by Dana Petty in your copy of American Treasure. Do that now, before even thinking of posting one back to me. I don't become dogmatic easily, but in this case, my friend, you're swimming down the wrong river.  Bad news is - beware of crocodiles! Good news is - you can change direction easily & get back to your usual fine form.

A girl from his past.  He's feeling nostalgic. 

• I wish you the best of everything in the world / And I hope you found / Whatever you were looking for. 

He's sending her warm thoughts and feeling good about the memory of their time together, without needing to uproot everything and seek her out in person.  It's a phrase expressing a generous & benevolent form of love.  

Are you seriously interpreting this as the narrator wanting the person to have the best of every single thing in her life (material possessions, every moment of her life)? And that he wants this for her because she is off-the-wall fantastic or even royalty? 

To which I say, have you been drinking too much coffee? Or worse, did you give up coffee  for New Year's resolution? 

Also, for your homework, do listen to the verse on Spotify if you are still possibly thinking there's a materialistic undertone to what he wishes for her. 

Thank you. 

What does this song mean for you? What difference does that extra verse make? 

• Does someone know whether it's essentially the same mix (ie with Richard Manuel singing harmony)? 
  • Did they a) originally record & arrange the whole song but b) cut out the verse for the original release and c) are now releasing the original? 

Or is it more complex process, like some kind of director's cut in a movie? 

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Neither I was joking; I thought it was so over-the-top no one would take it seriously. Oh well.

cheers

Ah, humour. Okay then. Well, Tom Pertty's songwriting here blows me away, it's so powerful. From what you wrote, it seemed to me that you were missing something of its essential meaning & soul, so I was concerned for you. (If a song can be said to have meaning & soul.)

4 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Ah, humour. Okay then.

I'm glad you asked, I thought my comment was so ridiculous that it never occurred to me it could be read as serious. I guess that's the internet right? Hard to gauge tone sometimes.

Interesting the song means so much to you. I have to really be in the mood for it, otherwise I gravitate towards more of the off kilter mellower songs, like Money Becomes King or Luna as opposed to the more openly heartfelt Best of Everything or Southern Accents or Angel Dream #1-100.

cheers

It is, objectively, a quality piece of music. Plus at least three other factors for me.  

1. Rare musical collaboration in the early 80s between: Garth Hudson (keyboards); Richard Manuel (harmony vocal); and Robbie Robertson (producer). Which in itself signifies a generousity of spirit by them, given what went down in The Band. 
  2. Everything about the songwriting process & possible inspirations during its creation - again, generosity and goodwill - including the way it was taken away & mixed by Robbie Robertson. 
  3. Whatever it may have meant to Tom Petty after it was created.  Played live to honor passing of Levon Helm. As well as what's described in the liner notes for American Treasure. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

A girl from his past.  He's feeling nostalgic. 

• I wish you the best of everything in the world / And I hope you found / Whatever you were looking for. 

He's sending her warm thoughts and feeling good about the memory of their time together, without needing to uproot everything and seek her out in person.  It's a phrase expressing a generous & benevolent form of love.  

I agree with you on that

Okay, Hoodoo Man, I confess I felt uncomfortably like a stalker  - but I did check once back in early 2017 at start of the 40th anniversary tour.

At that stage she had a Facebook presence naming Tom Petty & Heartbreakers as her favourite band.  (Which might be standard for all people with good musical taste in Florida, haha). It seems she's a pretty blonde, married, living in Florida & also is maybe is the sister of Robert Crawford (have I remembered his name correctly?) from their earliest garage band / Sundowners. 

Plus as you'll know anyway, TP talks about her impact on him in (I think) Zane's book.  

• He knew Cindy when he was school age & crushed on her big time. She was the girl who was booking bands for the school dance, right, when he falsely claimed "oh yeah, I'm in a band" & had to scramble to fulfil his fist gig!
  • So once he graduated high school (late 1968),  he went away to Tampa / St Petefor his art school drawing course - partly to avoid the Vietnam draft & partly because he was keen on another girl. After his time of not doing any work for his course & working in that girl's dad's mortician business, he headed back to Gainesville feeling unsettled. So that would've been late 1968 / early 1969 in Tampa & mid to late 1969 back in Gville? 
  • One Gainesville night he bumps into Cindy & she likes his longer hair. This is the night he refers to in imagery for "Even The Losers" - sitting on the roof looking at the stars and also skipping rocks across the water down by the new overpass.  :D He says in Zane's that he also had an acid inspired moment that night, realising that making music in a band was where he felt most right.
  • Unfortunately for all soft-hearted romantics like me, apparently Cindy later took Tom aside & said something like  "look, Tommy, you keep trying with me, but this just isn't going to work..." He was once again emotionally crushed down (by what sounds like quite a kind rejection) but was busy musically, having rejoined The Epics / Mudcrutch. Cindy exits the main recorded story at that point, so to speak.

So .... she inspired him to start playing in live gigs🐊 and write Even The Losers 🐊 and Best Of Everything🐊

PS this level of knowledge, soaked up over the years, is exactly why my friends don't let me start talking about TPATH, unless they actually want to discuss something in particular.  

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Okay, Hoodoo Man, I confess I felt uncomfortably like a stalker  - but I did check once back in early 2017 at start of the 40th anniversary tour.

At that stage she had a Facebook presence naming Tom Petty & Heartbreakers as her favourite band.  (Which might be standard for all people with good musical taste in Florida, haha). It seems she's a pretty blonde, married, living in Florida & also is maybe is the sister of Robert Crawford (have I remembered his name correctly?) from their earliest garage band / Sundowners. 

Thanks @Big Blue Sky I figured someone here had done the "due diligence" and that's exactly why I didn't want to try and be a facebook stalker (LOL) but was definitely curious enough to ask.  I remembered he mentioned the name in the Zanes book, which obviously is a memorable one due to the supermodel of the same name, but seeing it in the box set made me curious enough to want to know more.  I didn't realize she was also the inspiration for  'even the losers' which is one of my favorite songs of the bands so that's is even more amazing. Thank you very much for sharing! :D   

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

PS this level of knowledge, soaked up over the years, is exactly why my friends don't let me start talking about TPATH, unless they actually want to discuss something in particular.  

It happens. I've been known to give people three-paragraph essays in a question that could be answered with yes or no. 

50 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I remembered he mentioned the name in the Zanes book, which obviously is a memorable one due to the supermodel of the same name, but seeing it in the box set made me curious enough to want to know more.

I believe she was also mentioned briefly in Conversations, although I'm a bit tired to check right now.

12 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

write Even The Losers

Thanks for sharing this; usually I don't like knowing the origins of songs or details at this level but there's something touching about all this.

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I didn't realize she was also the inspiration for  'even the losers' which is one of my favorite songs of the bands so that's is even more amazing.

Yes, some may point to American Girl as the ultimate TPATH song, or Runnin' Down A Dream, the Waiting, even Mary Jane's but it could just be Even The Losers, it's catchy, it rocks, it's sentimental in such few short words, every verse is just packed with emotion, topped of with that imagery of the rock/broken glass. I think it could be the ultimate TPATH song, doing so much with such wonderful brevity. One of my favorites, top three for sure.

12 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

This forum is doing a public service; I figure I'd put people to sleep with some TPATH anecdotes, opinions, set list complaints. 

37 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

It happens. I've been known to give people three-paragraph essays in a question that could be answered with yes or no. 

That's what makes this place so much better than twitter or facebook. I enjoy the long answers!

cheers

Okay, cool, since we're among friends, her name is Cindy Crawford Johns. If she's ever reading this: hello ma'am. :D

It's the right name & she graduated from Gainesville High the right year. It looks from her profile that there is a smiling husband and couple of smiling daughters kidding around at a graduation (so I'm hoping her life all turned out well).  

With songs, I guess they take on a life of their own. But also, I do enjoy finding out a little of the Origin Story... Including what may have inspired the musicians during the process. Especially if, hey, there's something special they're hoping to express / is that real emotion?  There's a podcast called "FT: the Life of A Song" which creates 5-10 mins of story about one song per week, based on this kind of thing. Also who covered song (or stole it, yes Sam Smith) & how it evolved to begin to express different things to different people. There's one on Long Black Veil which I'd assumed was written by The Band, but no, has its own origin story. 

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

So called reviews are starting to pop up... and snippets of lyrics too..

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-the-best-of-everything-album-review

Here is where I stopped reading:

"Tom Petty might not have possessed Bruce Springsteen’s stage-patter...

What??? What? I know his comments were largely canned but Tom had some epic stage patter, especially when he gets into a good story like Spike....   

As a side note I was lucky enough to catch Bruce on the Ghost of Tom Joad tore at a small auditorium.  My Mom who loved Bruce, bought tickets and we went together, she left the show not so much a fan due to an off color story about Santa getting something on the side in a car at a mall in NJ..... my Mom was irate as there were young kids in the audience and she hated him after that... 😂   OK, maybe Bruce does have some good stories on stage.... ;)  Mom still does not like Bruce... 

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Here is where I stopped reading:

It's an okay review, he immediately compliments Tom's songwriting. Apparently there's a new unreleased sparse acoustic track called For Real. I still think it's stupid to release this right after American Treasure and dangle one-new-song bait but if people want to spend their money on this it's their business. I do like the look of the set and the style visually.

cheers