Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

I bought another guitar!!!!

I've wanted a Gibson SJ200 for a few years now, but refuse to pay between $5000 and $10,000 depending on the SJ200 model and that's discounted price! And their quality has gone down the drain over the past couple years, therefore bankruptcy. So I've been checking Gibson's cheaper model, The Epiphone EJ200. Not exactly what I want, but I bought a Natural color, that seems to be recently discontinued, only Vintage natural (butterscotch color), black and Sunburst available now. Should be here Tuesday. Here are a couple video's of the guitar. The 1st is the color I got, the 2nd is from Epiphone showing all the colors and features.

COLOR I BOUGHT

COLORS AND SPEC'S

The guitar came! It's absolutely beautiful and in perfect shape. I was going to wait til tomorrow to try it out to let it sit in room temp, but I had to try it acoustically and tune it. After that I had to plug it into the Vox Beatle amp, I couldn't wait til tomorrow. I was worried about the reviews saying the electronics are junk and 9 out of 10 guitars don't work. When I plugged in, it didn't work, so I removed the battery cover and sure as shit, there was a plastic cover over the batteries, I removed it and this guitar rang out like nothing I've ever heard before. All the controls work flawlessly from the neck P/U to the under bridge P/U separately and together. The onboard tuner works great too. I have a few acoustics, but nothing sounds like this, it's amazing! It also has 2 jacks like a Rickenbacker, 1 mono that uses both P/U's or the 2nd which allows for stereo. I just took about 12 pix and will post them here as soon as I upload them.

SPECS

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/EJ-200SCE.aspx

The "King of the flat tops".  I have a sunburst Gibson J-200 that I bought new about 25 years ago. Looks just like George Harrison's, and Tom Petty played one exactly like it too.  It was my only acoustic guitar for about 10 years, so it got played a lot. I'm sure you'll get a lot of music out of yours. Congrats!

Two years ago, I bought a guitar I hope will end my guitar buying days. At least as far as acoustics go. It's a Takamine P6N and the most thrilling thing about it - apart from sound and playability - is its preamp system and that it allowed me to use the built-in pickup in combination with my LR Baggs active soundhole pickup. It really gets the sound I want.

But seeing this Epiphone really makes me itchy... what a beauty! And not expensive!

Have you tested the pickups, nurktwin?

13 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

It's a Takamine P6N and the most thrilling thing about it - apart from sound and playability

Years ago I briefly strummed a Takamine and really loved the sound and feel. Good for you. I figure maybe at some future point I'll buy another guitar but I've got plenty between my Fender Strat, my Ibanez (used from a music store in LA) and Briarwood acoustics and a relatively cheap but fun electric I picked up with a mini-amp mainly for when I'd jam with friends at a bar and didn't want to risk worrying about people spilling beer on the Strat.

cheers

9 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

and a relatively cheap but fun electric I picked up with a mini-amp mainly for when I'd jam with friends at a bar and didn't want to risk worrying about people spilling beer on the Strat. 

Seems perfectly reasonable.

"People" meaning people in the band or in the audience? Because the places we play in (in the rare occasions that we play at all) are easily small enough for beer leakage onto the stage...

20 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Yes I have tested the pickups and they both work and sound great! I was surprised, I didn't think they would work from the reviews I read, which was fine with me, because I was going to get the L.R. Baggs pickup if they didn't work.

With an L.R. Baggs you can't go wrong, of course. Is that nanoflex (it's the nanoflex, isn't it?) also as good? Do you get a similar sound?