Sign in to follow this  
wild1forever

Fleetwood Mike question for our guitar experts

If these are the 2 videos you are referring too, the guitars are different. In the 1st video he's playing a 1959 Gibson Les Paul. In the 2nd it looks like he's playing a Gibson ES 335 Dot, but modified it with a Bigsby tailpiece. You can see the holes where the original stopbar tailpiece was.

Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac would have been playing his real 1959 Les Paul sunburst on the original recordings.  Mike is of course NOT playing his.  He doesn't take the real one out on tour.  But he has that great Gibson Custom Shop replica.   Not sure why he didn't just always play the Les Paul on this song with the Heartbreakers.  The ES-335 sounds a lot like a Les Paul though.

I'm not sure if Mike is playing the "59 Rep" or his real one on the FM tour. He mentioned that his "REAL 59" cost him more than his house!! So, most likely the tour LP is the rep. The 335 is kinda strange, it looks like he removed the tailpiece and installed a Bigsby, but there are Gibson 335's with a Bigsby with the holes plugged up, but are NOT dot inlays, they have block inlays and are called LE ES 335 Anchor Stud Bigsby VOS. I'll try to post a picture, let's see if this works.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ES33518-APBNB1?src=WNWSLTTRM181120M&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181123_GibsonPD&utm_content=product_img_P11

On 11/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, nurktwin said:

I copy the link while playing the video and then paste it. I highlight the link and hit "Ctrl + C" to copy and then "Ctrl + V" to paste it here. It's always worked for me.

That's what I did!!! Geez...whatever.

Anyway, getting back to my original reason for this post: I read a review for Fleetwood Mac's performance in San Jose last week. I was really excited to see that they did Oh Well and that Mike sang it. When I watched the two videos, I thought TPATH's version was SO much better and that Mike's guitar work was SO much more awesome in the TPATH version. Is that because TPATH is the better band (probably!)? Is that because Mike used a different guitar in the FM version? Is that because of the inferior way the sound was mixed in the FM version? Musical geeks/experts: thoughts?

Well that FM video is a pretty crappy audience recording.  It's not a fair comparison to the Live Anthology version by the Heartbreakers.  I didn't listen to all of it, but it sounds like they maybe hadn't polished it up.  Wasn't there even a screw-up in there where the song stops and Mike says "one more" (referring to another verse) or something?  Anyway, that isn't a good example of what Fleetwood Mac can do, with or without Mike.  I'm sure his playing is every bit as good as the Hearbreakers version.