Sign in to follow this  
Yopietro

We Are the World and Tom Petty

I've been curious why Tom Petty, who was a bigger artist than many that were invited to participate, was not part of the We Are the World recording.  I've looked around a bit but couldn't find any answer.  Does anyone have an idea why he wasn't there? 

Given the time of the recording, there probably was a party over at Dave's, that got in Tom's way. I've heard that it was snowing, at least locally. We all know that makes driving difficult.

But it is an interesting question. I never quite got my head around the fact that Tom and Michael Jackson inhabited the same planet (let alone for roughly the same place in time and space and line of work). Anyone knows if they ever even met? 

Shucks. Hearing WATW now, part of me thinks Southern Accent would have been even better, had MJ contributed the equivalent amount of what DS did. Hm.. it's really universes colliding..  my brain hurts. 

The recording of the song was in January 1985 and it could have been in the ballpark when Tom was recovering from hand surgery from punching the wall.  Maybe that had something to do with it? 

And Shelter, potential cocaine blizzards aside, I do remember seeing some video clip of Tom Petty having a phone conversation with Michael Jackson about a project. 

I was thinking the same thing about Cal Jam II, back in March of 1978.  I drove from Seattle to L.A. for that show, and where were the Heartbreakers?  They weren't touring, so they were probably home, just down the road a piece.  I guess the band just wasn't big enough yet to get a slot in a festival like that?

I don't know if that would have stopped them.  There were several hundred thousand people there that day.  I'm sure our guys had never played in front of a crowd like that. I think they were probably just too unknown at the time still.