Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

Did Tom ever do a solo acoustic show?

I don't believe Tom ever did a tour solo acoustic, but I'm curious if he ever did some "one off" shows out it California I might not have heard about back in the days before the net?? 

I'm almost surprised he never did any solo acoustic tours as he was so masterful at working a crowd, did I happen to miss something?  

In Conversations with Tom Petty and other venues Tom talked about how he was more comfortable with a band, and that he doesn't actually think fondly of the one solo acoustic show that he ever did: the 1986 BSB show. Despite this, it's still an interesting listen! It's the only performance of "Twist and Shout" he ever did.

There's also this, which probably also doesn't count:

He returns to Gainesville every few months, while the band takes a breather. Tom came with him earlier this year, and the pair, hyped up from their studio work, couldn't sit still at Stan's Keystone home, so they played, unannounced, at The Islands before a stunned audience.

According to this article, "Rebels" was one of the songs on the set. Though I'd be surprised if a recording of it even existed

Not a tour but the question reminded me of the time Petty played an acoustic set at what must have been the greatest Bat Mitzvah of all time held at the Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center. Petty was not even the headliner just one of the performers doing a set.  :o 

Sadly I was not invited.  :(  

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/gossip/not-so-petty-cash-rock-bat-mitzvah-article-1.565144

" I'm told that Petty's performance - on acoustic guitar - was fabulous,"

The party received a lot of publicity at the time and it lead to The Feds taking an interest in the party thrower and his company and well years later Dad went off to the Big House. :D Still, heck of a party.