Yopietro

Maxwell House

4 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Just did a search of my digital copy and no. There's a brief mention of him going to a coffee shop, but that's it.

However, this article from 2006 mentions Maxwell House.

Yes, and that story says it was the "instant" kind of Maxwell House coffee.  You just add hot water to that, and there's no Bunn Coffee Machine involved.  The mystery deepens!!!

We know we can't say he never drank Maxwell House in his life, because he obviously drank it every time he went to the "Paradise Cove Beach Cafe" in Malibu, as Dana stated.   This story is good to the last drop.

On November 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Yopietro said:

What do y'all think? 

I just looked at tompettynation at facebook and one guy turned his maxwell house container into a bird feeder! Someone else threw theirs out. 

Rare is the time someone who's work I like actually recommends or likes something that works for me. Glad I didn't jump on the Maxwell House Express, the few times I had it, the brew was just terrible. I've had better coffee in a car dealership.

cheerio

On 10 February 2019 at 7:27 AM, nurktwin said:

Article I read this morning from Tom's daughters said Tom NEVER drank Maxwell House Coffee in his life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no! The curse of the unreliable narrator!

On 10 February 2019 at 7:38 AM, TomFest said:

Yes, and that story says it was the "instant" kind of Maxwell House coffee.  You just add hot water to that, and there's no Bunn Coffee Machine involved.  The mystery deepens!!!

We know we can't say he never drank Maxwell House in his life, because he obviously drank it every time he went to the "Paradise Cove Beach Cafe" in Malibu, as Dana stated.   This story is good to the last drop.

Oh no! The family memories are not all consistent! Next they'll be air-brushing people out of photos... 

1 hour ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Dang it, I hope Amazon lets me return these 400 cans of Maxwell House now...

Uh, how painful is having a tattoo removed? Asking for a friend. 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:18 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

He was still looking directly at me, as if to make sure I was getting all of this.

I felt as though he didn’t just want to tell me something, he wanted to leave a mark.

The Tom Petty who had watched thousands of cowboys move across the TV screen, well, just then he looked like one of them*.

I couldn’t think of a whole lot else to do** but take a sip of that coffee and say, “It’s good. This really is good coffee.”***

To which Petty said, “You got that right.”

On another thread, I was sounding off about Zanes' writing style. So thank you universe for providing this wonderful example.

* TP looked like a cinema cowboy? What does that even mean? Could WZ be saying TP's intense expression reminded him of John Wayne, or Clint Eastwood?

** "I couldn't think of a whole lot else to do". Please. Maybe next interview, if in doubt, ask a question.  What about lobbing back an open question ... to clarify whatever it is that TP's trying to communicate? The coffee? The machine? The process? 

*** I have no words left.  

1 minute ago, Shelter said:

No joke.. they start with cigarettes, then coffee cups.. then what? Hats? Cousins?

Hats? hahahahaha

Noooo! I love caffeine, never tried nicotine, but understand & empathise with people who feel annoyed when cigarettes are airbrushed out of vintage images. Coffee cups airbrushed because of Californian health warning? Oh, and what about coca cola bottles (sugar & caffeine)? Sun in background? LA smog? ☹️

6 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

On another thread, I was sounding off about Zanes' writing style. So thank you universe for providing this wonderful example.

* TP looked like a cinema cowboy? What does that even mean? Could WZ be saying TP's intense expression reminded him of John Wayne, or Clint Eastwood?

** "I couldn't think of a whole lot else to do". Please. Maybe next interview, if in doubt, ask a question.  What about lobbing back an open question ... to clarify whatever it is that TP's trying to communicate? The coffee? The machine? The process? 

*** I have no words left.  

Ha ha, I think you're being too hard on the guy. Isn't it bad enough he told this personal Maxwell House anecdote and now had it refuted? You gotta pick on him some more eh Big Blue Sky? I could see TP lookin' like a cowboy, heck, he played one (sort of) in the postman. I think Zanes was just being poetic. I'm sure it wasn't necessarily easy to be interviewing Tom. He may be inserting his own speculation as to what was going on but at the same time who hasn't done that from time to time? Sure, it's not a style you cared for in this book and I think you're criticisms are valid but in this case, maybe Zanes just felt some moment between them and wanted to go with it, what he thought was happening.

The strangest thing is the whole Maxwell House, I mean, it's mediocre coffee and yet he was so certain he was drinking it that afternoon.

cheers

26 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Fun fact: The world's first webcam was set up in the Trojan Room of the University of Cambridge's Computer Laboratory to save people from making a trip across the building only to find an empty coffee pot. BBC article.

Did you happen to see the show "halt and catch fire" its an fictional AMC show about the computer revolution that uses fake company names to show real events along with some real stuff. they showed the "live stream" on the show LOL...  My description sucks but it was a fun show and its on Netflix now..