Yopietro

Maxwell House

here's a link to an article & a quick quote ;) I'm thinking you might find it amusing.  The writer Richard Glover (newspaper columnist, radio host, all-round amusing wry and insightful) also has a book called "The Land Before Avocado"  using idea of avocado toast as jumping-off point.  Proust, hee hee...

• More mysterious still, coffee drinkers appear to believe that others are forming a view of their personality based on their order. "Macchiato for me," they say with a cocky little shake of the head, as if to say, "Pretty sophisticated, I know, but I'm just back from a trip to southern Italy." People order a short black with the sort of eager pride in which one might mention one is currently reading Proust. It's not so much a drink as a statement of intent.

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/no-need-to-get-in-a-froth-people-its-only-a-beverage-20131010-2v98g.html

22 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

here's a link to an article & a quick quote ;) I'm thinking you might find it amusing. 

Yeah that was witty. I liked the little cartoon with James Bond noting his coffee preference, too. The bit of social commentary under the humor was well managed, I think he makes a good point about people identifying too strongly with their specific hot beverages, one can see that in other ways too beyond the article, like in sports or even...musical taste.

cheers

Sometimes I literally Thank God for all the good in my life. Appreciating the simple things. As I hear cold wind blowing outside I'm sitting here able to post on this board, sipping hot black coffee (not Maxwell House) and listening to some live music. I can go to virtually any local store and have my needs and wants met. Heck, I can order things online and have them delivered to my door. I live like a young prince. It's easy to forget and become annoyed at little things in life, I've a lot compared to so many and am grateful to God for that.

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Sometimes I literally Thank God for all the good in my life. Appreciating the simple things. As I hear cold wind blowing outside I'm sitting here able to post on this board, sipping hot black coffee (not Maxwell House) and listening to some live music. I can go to virtually any local store and have my needs and wants met. Heck, I can order things online and have them delivered to my door. I like live like a young prince. It's easy to forget and become annoyed at little things in life, I've a lot compared to so many and am grateful to God for that.

aww heartfelt & beautiful sentiment, well worth remembering, especially during this holiday season.  

(okay, may I chuckle now about what's surely a typo regarding the prince idea?)

Again, it might not have been just the taste of Maxwell coffee that Tom liked, but all the memories and experiences back in Gainesville that were connected to it. That diner he stumbled upon brought him back to a simpler time, a special moment. A season of life & youthfulness that only happens once. And he wanted to 'savor' that again.

And the professional Bunn installation at home probably helped recreate the cheap diner coffee experience perfectly. And it probably didn't taste too bad (maybe the rest of us don't know how to make Maxwell taste good, ha). But how could Warren Zanes even agree that TP's coffee tasted better than Starbucks, every time, to the last drop (pun intended).

My wife and I love coffee...even classic hole-in-the-wall diner coffee in the small mugs. When the server comes by every 3 minutes and asks if you need a refill. Ahhh the simple pleasures of life. Since reading that article, we've even looked into getting a Bunn Automatic Coffee Maker as joint Christmas present. Maybe it's the nostalgia experience. Maybe we're just overboard and weird.

Now I'm intrigued by the coffee machine that Tom had. Do we know exactly what model it was?  I see these from Bunn that are $250.   It's $240 if you don't want the warmer on top.  I'm actually tempted to buy one.  I'd also be curious of the exact measurements he used.  Anybody know Dana?  LOL

488050.jpg

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bunn-13300-0002-vp17-2-ss-low-profile-pourover-coffee-brewer-with-2-warmers/234133000002.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAurjgBRCqARIsAD09sg-tW8EAEDOnUbbpGaUt3tIbhQynB7gGDh4Vtxx8xtYa3bobUl2oSRoaAkZzEALw_wcB

I've had Bunn coffee makers for more years than I can count. When one goes bad, I buy another one. There is nothing a Bunn "Drip Coffee Maker" can do that any other drip coffee maker can do, they just last longer til they start leaking through the bottom because of a cheap plastic disk in the body. I have taken these apart and cut a piece of plastic out of a coffee can cover and replaced the original and they have worked for years! It's up to you, if you want to give it a shot. I would!

But didn't Tom have his directly connected to water pipes?

Now what could be the difference between pouring water in from the top or having it connected directly but maybe it alters something? Maybe he had higher water quality, filtered and such, I don't know.

I have had good coffee in diners but never asked what they used...

So I just finished watching the Facebook Live event with Adria and Annakim.  It was really good.  They shared a lot of great stories and insights into how Tom was at home.  And for the record, Adria said at one point that she wanted to clarify that Tom NEVER DRANK MAXWELL HOUSE.   She said that there's this thing going around that her father drank Maxwell House and that is completely false.  So either Tom was putting Zanes on or Zanes made it up...

From the facebook feed and direct from Dana York Petty:  So snopes would call this partly true.  LOL 

Melanie Barr Dana probably knows the truth. Maybe she will tell her side of the story someday.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 4h
Barbara Jordan
Barbara Jordan Melanie Barr She would know better than anyone.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 4h
Dana York Petty
Dana York Petty Melanie Barr he loved and drank Coffee Bean coffee, house blend, #7 grind.... made on his professional Bunn coffee maker. (The best gift I ever gave him, apparently. 😉)
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 3h
Barbara Jordan
Barbara Jordan Dana York Petty 😘😘😘Thanks Dana!
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 3h
Dana York Petty
Dana York Petty Melanie Barr but the story was true about him asking a Malibu restaurant (Paradise Cove Beach Cafe) what brand of coffee they used, which was Maxwell House but the manager said the trick was a professional Bunn coffee maker.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 3h

18 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Dana York Petty Melanie Barr he loved and drank Coffee Bean coffee, house blend, #7 grind.... made on his professional Bunn coffee maker. (The best gift I ever gave him, apparently. 😉)

So is "Coffee Bean" the brand of coffee?  A quick Interweb search doesn't find that brand.  But I didn't try that hard.  I guess it makes sense that he wasn't really drinking Maxwell House all these years, but he apparently did like it in the restaurant enough to ask about it.   

I haven't bought the "Bunn" coffee maker - only because it won't fit on the kitchen counter where I'd want it.  Too tall.  

46 minutes ago, TomFest said:

So is "Coffee Bean" the brand of coffee?  A quick Interweb search doesn't find that brand.  But I didn't try that hard.  I guess it makes sense that he wasn't really drinking Maxwell House all these years, but he apparently did like it in the restaurant enough to ask about it.   

I haven't bought the "Bunn" coffee maker - only because it won't fit on the kitchen counter where I'd want it.  Too tall.  

My thinking is its this:

https://store.coffeebean.com/house-blend-coffee 

Tomfest, here is the Bunn coffee maker I bought. I paid $125 at J C Penney cuz I needed it immediately. But you can get it at Amazon for $105. Works great with 2 scoops of ground coffee for 10 cups and is completely done in 3 minutes or less. Scoop included along with de-limer tool. This seems to be the best model for home use, unless you have a kitchen as big as a restaurant!!! I've had Bunn coffee makers for the past 40 years!

https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Velocity-10-Cup-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B000FFILRO/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1549740247&sr=1-5&keywords=bunn+coffee+maker

Yeah, I think you guys are right - it's probably that "Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf" place - and I was kind of put off by the cancer warning.  Yikes, that old chestnut?  What doesn't cause cancer?

I liked one of George Carlin's "news" routines  "...surgeon general today announced that saliva causes stomach cancer.....but only when swallowed in small doses over long periods of time......."

Anyway - and thanks for the tip on that Bunn brewer, Nurk.  I hadn't seen that one, and it will fit where I want.  I think I'll go ahead and buy it.  I'll probably take the plunge on the cancer beans too.  YOLO.....

Now on to the "grind #7"   I see that the place grinds it for you, but doesn't offer different grind levels.  WTF?  How am I supposed to see what the fuss is all about if I can't match Tom's recipe entirely and exactly?    (tongue inserted firmly in cheek)

At first I considered this:

Tom found out about the Maxwell House/Bunn.

During the interview Tom maybe joked with Zanes about the coffee they were drinking on the spot. Why? Was it supposed to be so obvious a joke that Zanes should've gotten it? but to what end? To feel smug? Waiting for Zanes to act surprised since Maxwell House is terrible? Dry wit and it amused him to think that Zanes would think he'd like Maxwell House? The whole thing feels rather silly.

Or maybe he Zanes told the Maxwell House/Bunn story but the point was he always used the Bunn ever since and he wasn't clear on this point or he was and Zanes misunderstood and thought it was Maxwell House that he always used.

This seems more likely.

But then I went back and saw this:

from a rolling stone article:

Petty was again struck by a cup of coffee. The chef was using the Maxwell House, the Bunn Automatic … yet the coffee tasted even better. Again Petty went to the source, asking the chef what he’d done. As the man explained, before he put the Maxwell House into the machine, he used a knife to level off every cup he measured out. It was exact. Not close, exact. From there on out, that’s how it would be done at the Petty home. That, Petty told me, is what I’d been drinking.

He was still looking directly at me, as if to make sure I was getting all of this. I felt as though he didn’t just want to tell me something, he wanted to leave a mark. The Tom Petty who had watched thousands of cowboys move across the TV screen, well, just then he looked like one of them. I couldn’t think of a whole lot else to do but take a sip of that coffee and say, “It’s good. This really is good coffee.” To which Petty said, “You got that right.”

So it seems like it wasn't just a story that left the wrong impression, emphasis on Maxwell House other than Bunn unless Zanes mistakenly assumes the chef is using Maxwell House when Tom never said he was.

It's such an odd little story and now with weird holes that goes into how a healthy skepticism is needed to navigate the world. Or at least rock-n-roll musician's biographies.

Maybe Tom did indeed use Maxwell House and Dana didn't know or forgot. It seems unlikely his wife wouldn't know the coffee he's drinking.

The whole thing is odd.

I wonder what Zanes will think or do when/if he hears about this.

And isn't there a part in Zollo's book where he mentions Maxwell House?

Time for some good coffee and see what anyone else here comes up with...

cheers