Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

Saving Grace Rehearsal 2006

10 minutes ago, TomFest said:

No, the McGuinn model is a 370, which has 3 pickups.  The one Tom is playing is a 2 pickup Rickenbacker model 360.

Ok, thanks! I couldn't quite make it out from the blur.. I thought indeed it looked like a Ric 360 (I have one myself, if Fireglow), but for some reason I thought it looked like a 12 string there somehow.. although I don't know why he would use one for this song.. Thanks for insight! 

Actually, I didn't pay attention to whether it was a 6 string or a 12 string.  The 360 and 370 models are/were made in both versions.  It's really only the pickup configuration that differentiates the 2 - although the original McGuinn 370/12 also had an on-board compressor.  I believe the compressor was unique to that McGuinn model 370/12.  At least, I'm not aware of any other models having the compressor. 

Tom is playing a RIC 12 string 360/12 in that video. It has 2 vintage "Toaster" pickups (single coil) just like Roger McGuinn's 1st RIC 12. Roger saw George's RIC in "A Hard Days Night" and wanted that same guitar, and went shopping the next day, but the shop only had 1 RIC 12 and it was this Mapleglo 360, so he bought it. Later Roger got to have his own RIC and decided he wanted 3 Toaster pickups because John Lennon's RIC had 3 and he thought it was cool. He also added a built in "Compressor" to get that long lasting Jingle Jangle sound. I have this same RIC 360/12 hand signed by Roger and also a George RIC 360/12 signed by Tom and all the Heartbreakers. Oh, I also have the TOM limited edition RIC 12 string with all the paperwork and case. So many things. I should start thinking about a big sale!!!!!!!!!

Good for you, man.

I usually have an ear for what's 12-string and what's 6, in music, but in this case I do neither hear it nor see the need for a 12 in this song, but I guess they fooled me on this one. (What do I know anyway, right). That's part the reason I asked..since I know Roger's is a 12string.. and I thought this looked the same, but I was thinking "why".. The difference between 370 and 360 I was not aware of though, must say, so thanks you guys for info! My own handful guitars, are so few and humble in comparison, they are mostly kindling with strings really.. and they haven't come with much statistic, historic or technical know how.. or playing skills :D But I won't complain, I manage..

Again, thanks Nurk, Tomfest, for always sharing good stuff on guitars! An inspiration.

On October 15, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Shelter said:

Something for all you Grace junkies out there..

Nice, thanks for posting this. Be neat if the official website had free videos on their site of stuff like this; hearkens back to some topic or other where I think dollardime (?) suggested they release recordings and/or video of their rehearsals, clubhouse songs.

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Yeah, I've been wanting releases of their rehearsal or recording videos forever.

Maybe it was TwoGunslingers who suggested it a while back. Anyway, it would be fun to watch, maybe even a chance to see what they rehearsed that didn't make the set list for a new tour. If they were always recording I wonder if they were filming too? But still, what if tour rehearsals were recorded and saved somewhere? It would be like listening to a private band only concert...