Sign in to follow this  
twisterseal

Question on Tom Petty Book

I see on Amazon a Tom Petty book called "Tom Petty: A Rock and Roll Life" by Nick Thomas.   This is supposed to be 

"revised and updated" and release date is today - Oct. 12, 2012.    So I look at the previous book from 2014

and see it has the same number of pages (292).   If it was updated, then it would have more pages than the

original book.   I notice the title is slightly different as the 2014 book is titled "Tom Petty:  A Rock and Roll Story"

and the photo on front is the same on both books except the newer book has an photo of his face and not

the whole body (maybe this is the only ""updates" and "revisions").......and the newer book is more expensive.  

Is anyone familiar with this book?  Is the new book the same as the one from 2014?   Is the book worth the $19.99 price?    

It's not in Barnes and Noble so I can't even look at it first.    

Personally, I would say that the only books you really need are Petty: The Biography, Conversations With Tom Petty and the Runnin' Down A Dream companion book.  But there's at least three unauthorized biographies out there, I think.

I have the Petty Biography by Zanes - great book.  I'd love to have Conversations with Tom Petty but much too expensive and out of print....and I'm looking

all over for Runnin' Down a Dream coffee table book - way to expensive on Amazon.....I wish they would reprint these books and sell them in B&N for those

of us who didn't buy it when it came out quite a few years ago.   I thought I read somewhere that Jon Scott was coming out with a book....and also that

"Conversations with Petty" would be reprinted.  Do you know anything about that?

1 hour ago, twisterseal said:

If it was updated, then it would have more pages than the

original book.

I assume you've never seen the textbook industry, then. Switch two pages around, new edition that costs a few hundred dollars.

I think the book itself is called An American Rock and Roll Story, though - Rock and Roll Life only came up on Amazon.es. Here's the actual book on Amazon.com. Read the reviews, perhaps. Though reviews aren't always that helpful.

I'm starting to wonder about the Jon Scott book.  I ordered it months ago and where is it?  In fact, I bought 2 copies.  I've written to him asking, and had no response.  When is this thing supposed to be out? 

I pre-ordered the new Nick Thomas book and just got it today. I compared it in size to the first edition. The new edition doesn't have an index in the back of the book, which is 11 pages in the first edition. Also, the lettering is smaller and the margins are more narrow, So yes, the new book is definitely bigger. I would estimate that it's about 15% to 20%  longer than the first edition.

So far, I'm happy with what I've read. There's some new information about Petty and the Heartbreakers that I haven't read anywhere else.

3 hours ago, TomFest said:

I'm starting to wonder about the Jon Scott book.  I ordered it months ago and where is it?  In fact, I bought 2 copies.  I've written to him asking, and had no response.  When is this thing supposed to be out? 

He told us that his daughter is ill, I believe, and that was causing a delay.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, TomFest said:

I've seen on Facebook he is having some kind of event on or around Tom's Bday (10/20) and he said signed copies would be available for purchase there. That caused a lot of backlash and he then stated that he promised that people that had pre ordered would be getting them (I believe he said) before the event.  He just cut off free shipping on pre-orders yesterday so it should be shipping very soon.  This was posted by Jon Scott himself... 

Speaking of books, it seems weird that Warren isn't writing a book about a TPATH album for the 33-1/3 series, but there is going to be a book about Southern Accents.

https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Pettys-Southern-Accents-33/dp/1501333445/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1539811308&sr=1-1&keywords=southern accents tom petty&tag=mfconvert-20

2 hours ago, chimera said:

there is going to be a book about Southern Accents.

"mixed with nearly unlistenable second-rate 80s music"

Hm.. I know a guy who finds that stuff to be the highlight, of the album and perhaps of the career. Not naming names. But it starts with MJ2....

Ah opinions!  :lol:

I tend to feel bad for not having a good opinion of "Mary's New Car" just because of lovely loyal Mary Krauzer.  But every time I do listen to it I'm still left thinking What the actual fuck, Tom?

1 hour ago, chimera said:

Ah opinions!  :lol:

I tend to feel bad for not having a good opinion of "Mary's New Car" just because of lovely loyal Mary Krauzer.  But every time I do listen to it I'm still left thinking What the actual fuck, Tom?

Tom could then reply with "let's hear one of your songs" 😎

You know, I always tried to give Tom the benefit of the doubt.  There are songs that don't do a lot for me, but I try to really listen and figure out what it was that Tom liked enough about a song to include it on a record.  And I have to admit, with "Mary's New Car", I just can't see it.  

Before Tom died, I could only find 5 books on him as follows:

Conversations with Tom Petty by Paul Zollo 2005

Running Down A Dream: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 2007 -  Released with the 30th anniversary documentary 

Tom Petty Rock and Roll Guardian by Andrea Rotondo 2014

Tom Petty An American Rock and Roll Story by Nick Thomas 2014

Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes 2016

Conversations with Tom Petty by Paul Zollo 2005 and Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes 2016 were authorized books with Tom being interviewed for them. They are by far way better than the other ones. Running Down A Dream: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 2007 basically has alot of pictures and just follows the documentary. 

Since his death, I think more books have popped up, but if you want to learn something new about him read Conversations with Tom Petty by Paul Zollo 2005 and Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes 2016.

1 hour ago, twisterseal said:

I just read a revised version of "Conversations with Tom Petty" will be reprinted later this year.   Does anyone know anything about this?

Well, if you read a revised version then it seems you know something more than we do, haha.

On his Facebook page, Paul Zollo did announce that a revised/expanded edition of his 2005 book is in the works with the original press but no official news has been released as to this new edition yet.

this was posted by Paul Zollo today on TPN! 

Paul Zollo shared a link.

Hey TPN ! it is such a LONG time in coming - but I am here at last to say - YAY! Conversations is officially about to be reborn! You are all mentioned in this press release. Thank you for your love of Tom - of the book - of rock and roll -and friendship forever. ||

At long last! I am thrilled and honored to announce
"Conversations with Tom Petty" = published back in 2005 - is now officially being reborn. It will be published in the fall of 2019.

A new edition of the book - with some extra material (including a new expansive opening chapter that takes in Tom's whole career)

It will also have all the photos Tom & Dana chose for the original, as well as new photos, including those I took of a very exultant Tom at his last show, 9.25.17 at the Hollywood Bowl.

When Tom left us, the book sold out quickly. Suddenly people were selling them for $800 on E-Bay. (My brother volunteered to sell his). The publisher - Omnibus - was in NY but is now in London, but they were keen to do it right away.

But Tom and I shared authorship and the copyright - which I was proud to do. So I needed to get the okay of Dana. And to make that happen - just as she made all my interviews with Tom happen - since before the book and after - Mary Klauzer took over- (Mary, with Tony Dimitriades, managed Tom for his entire career- with good reason - they are very great) Mary gently put everything in place.

Doing the book, Tom was forever brightened anytime Dana would come in - or if her name was spoken. She really helped him enjoy life in a way he hadn't before.So it is especially heartwarming for me after all this time - and this time missing Tom - to get to give this book a new life with Dana's blessing.
Thank you forever Dana York Petty.

And giant thanks to all the Tom Petty Nation family of fans and friends - we mentioned you in the press release. So many of you have kindly and patiently written me : Dude - like WHEN ALREADY? And I did not want to wreck the deal! Not easy for me. Thank you all for caring -and for waving Tom & The Heartbreakers flag faithfully for so many years.