Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Tom Petty & Movies

I posted before about Tom writing songs about old movies such as "A Face In The Crowd". I watched an oldie movie again last night called "My Man Godfrey" from 1935 starring Carole Lombard and William Powell. The opening scene had rich people having a party and playing a game called "Scavenger Hunt" and going out to find the whatever and returning to the mansion with it. The last thing 2 sisters had to find was a "FORGOTTEN MAN"!!!  They found a bum (William Powell) living in the city dumps and brought him back to the mansion as their "Forgotten Man". He ended up being their butler and ended up saving the rich family from going broke. SO, is this another movie Tom watched and wrote a song about?????????

I don't know that the song itself mirrors the movie, but was Tom influenced by movies?  Sure, I think he was.  He loved movies, and certainly those of his youth especially.  I tend to think certain phrases got stuck in his head and then ended up in songs.

Tom was a huge movie fan! I would love to know more about his favorite movies and such. I'm not friends with Dana on Facebook, but we have mutual friends and she was recently talking about different old, old horror movies they liked to watch.

I think it would be interesting to know more about this topic.
The fact that Adria went into film probably also has something to do with his love of movies and being around when they made music videos. Tom and the Heartbreakers have some of the coolest music videos, heck, they pioneered the music video. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tom is such a big movie fan and that his music videos have always been so neat. 

Yeah see, I bet Tom was a Universal Monsters fan, like, OG Universal Monsters. :D

I think as far as the influence of movies it was that both Tom and Jim Lenahan were big movie fans - they both had a yearning to push the boundaries of what was being done in the music video realm.