Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane0612

Damn the Torpedoes

Hi all. I have now bought and listened to the album. I really only have one thing to say..

I'm so glad TP went bankrupt :)

.........Love all the songs, but I've heard a few of them already from the Anthology. Louisiana Rain is probably my least favorite but I am keen to listen to more. Next on the list anyone? 

Glad you liked Damn The Torpedoes!

There's a Blu-Ray DVD from the Classic Albums series - a retrospective documentary about making Damn The Torpedoes.   Lots of footage of them (years later) sitting in front of a sound board playing around with the original tapes & talking about how - to the best of their memories - they created the finished tracks.  

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Damn the Torpedoes Poster

6 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

........Love all the songs, but I've heard a few of them already from the Anthology.

What did you think of them? Do you have a favorite? Did the less popular and played tunes stand out for you in contrast to the hits? I think You Tell Me is one of their most little know really good songs. I've mixed feelings on Louisiana Rain, I think it's a good way to close the album, feels like a bit of a look back to their roots with the music, a bit country-swampish but after the more intense and guitar driven songs a needed way to cap off the record. What else did you think of it? You tell me? No, you tell us...

cheers

I will give a proper overview, blow by blow track account, chord by chord, semi quaver by semi quaver analysis in due course :)  At present I need to listen to it a few more times to do that. One thing I can say is that I found the album easy to get into and like too - mainly because there are only nine tracks to listen to and because it helps that I know about five of the more well known TP live staple tracks already because they were on the Anthology. 

One obvious observation: it does smack of the emergence of raw, 'young' talent. I don't mean that in a patronising way. It sounds like the compositional outpourings of someone much younger than someone getting on for thirty at the time of its release - in 1979 (TP was born in 1950 and I believe he wrote it around 1977 - making him late 20s), which is pretty old really - in pop star terms for someone with a contract (just - well, until he ripped it up) able to write good music and starting to make it big.  David Bowie, by contrast, was 25 when he released Ziggy Stardust...Kate Bush was only 26 when she released Hounds of Love, which was and still considered her best work. In fact I think The Dreaming is and she was only 22 then. I guess I'll have to wait for later albums to hear some of the stuff that sounds like it was written by a near thirty year old. That's middle aged - in rock star terms. Old some might say.

You see, that could be my problem, I am probably only scratching the surface so far. If I listen to it more times I might see hidden depths to it - worthy of a more maturer older talent than he was. What I'm hearing right now is just fun classic rock obviously influenced by many of the 60s greats without sounding too much like them (thank goodness), fun....galloping tracks and a bit of country music tagged on the end. All of the songs are memorable and some have been swirling around my brain all day - and not the old die hards from the Anthology either. Tell Me is one such track. Swirling around my brain, when I have pressing work-based things to concentrate on, like an annoying wasp at a picnic - only I don't want to swat it away, let alone whack it with a rolled up newspaper.

I don't agree that the album sounds dated though, like I read in one review of the album. I don't think it does at all - unless you believe that 60s music is dated instead of timeless. In fact, I would say that TP music tends to sound pretty timeless. Perhaps that ability - to write ageless songs - is worthy of someone older. Ziggy Stardust certainly does sound ..well, very stuck in the 70s.  Perhaps the message to end on is that timeless music can be written by anyone of any age - as long as they have the ability. 

5 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I will give a proper overview, blow by blow track account, chord by chord, semi quaver by semi quaver analysis in due course

Nice. I look forward to you quavering. Err....discussing the quavers.

6 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

than I'm hearing right now is just fun classic rock obviously influenced by many of the 60s greats without sounding too much like them (thank goodness), fun....galloping tracks and a bit of country music tagged on the end.

Perhaps why Tom wanted to push off into different directions within the pop-rock form as they went on. I think DTT was a culmination of the first two albums, a sign of growth in their songwriting and ability to mesh together as a band. My pick is for you to listen to Hard Promises next since it was the follow up to their breakthrough record. But no rush. Literally. You don't have to listen to Rush if you don't want to. No one's making you.

cheers

7 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

.........Love all the songs, but I've heard a few of them already from the Anthology. Louisiana Rain is probably my least favorite but I am keen to listen to more. Next on the list anyone? 

Louisiana Rain is one of my favourites. 😁

"Casa Dega" it's a great track from that sessions, it's not into the album, but it is a great one.

Next? Hard Promises? (Something Big is one of my favourites from this album)

8 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

Next on the list anyone? 

Hard Promises is what I would recommend.

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think You Tell Me is one of their most little know really good songs.

Definitely.

27 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

Rush? 

The Canadian progressive rock band.