Sign in to follow this  
livin´thing68

A big question

I think Annakim posts on instagram. Odd that she's not involved in the American Treasure project. She seemed quite vocal putting out press releases when her father died.

Artists I find tend not to post on fanzine forums. Although Doogie White (lead singer) did post on the Deep Purple forum. I was there too - for four years - causing havoc and mayhem on every thread...eventually getting banned. I think my analytical skills on the tuning of  the late Jon Lord's Hammond middle C key got a bit too much for them - NOT. The fun for me joining it was that I was never really a fan of DP at all, I just knew of them from years back when Ian Gillan was lead singer and my brother was a fan. The fisticuffs that raged on the Ritchie forum between two camps were the best : those fans who liked him only as the macho hard rocker Stratman who should stick to heavy rock -v- those who had moved on and liked the Candice infused more feminine appeal melodic renaissance direction he'd gone in.

This was a war worse than anything you've seen in the middle east. Ha, ha. You lot are far too nice, friendly and inclusive.  

I find it a refreshing change from other communities I participate in, myself. :lol:

Although there is one community of which I am a moderator/administrator and the owner has one iron-clad rule: Be nice or leave.  No one is allowed to be snarky, no tone-policing, everyone must be courteous and supportive and when you have to actually practice empathy it creates a remarkable climate, I find.  I can always tell when it's too weird for new members used to a more combative enclave because they tend not to last a month.

Back on-topic (sorta): my experience/observation with such things in this era is that oftentimes certain people are aware of fan forums/social media discussion but wisely do not engage, or at least on a more superficial level.  IMO it creates a weird synergy otherwise, oftentimes - and that's been illustrated so many times with celebrities having to delete their Twitter accounts or whatever.  I appreciate that Benmont does participate in social media even on the scale to which he does because people can get downright weirdly entitled sometimes.

I guess I've been lucky in that most of the discussion forums I've participated in, as a user and/or an admin, have been mostly civilized.  On the other hand, forums are generally privately-owned so it's strictly up to the purview of the owner as to how it is run.

12 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I find that a lot of forum rules are hardly ever kept, least of all by the moderators themselves who are often more abusive and selective of contributors who they favour for the 'chop' or not, as the case may be.

5 hours ago, chimera said:

I guess I've been lucky in that most of the discussion forums I've participated in, as a user and/or an admin, have been mostly civilized.  On the other hand, forums are generally privately-owned so it's strictly up to the purview of the owner as to how it is run.

On one forum I'm a frequent user of—just one for a game I play—most of the moderators are pretty reasonable overall. But there's one admin who...I just dread it whenever I see her name. Posts from regular users get deleted because they were slightly sloppy in the phrasing and overlapped one of the minor rules.

Oh sure, I've seen my share of power-mad mods.  I just can't characterize all online communities in the exact same way because my experience in the last 20 years is nothing like that.

6 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Twenty years. Usenet, perhaps?

EDIT: Perhaps not. I'm off by a few years. Usenet's still around, surprisingly. 

I was never really a part of that scene, though I do remember CompuServe!

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

We don't have moderators here...we have muderators.

Well-played!

30 minutes ago, chimera said:

I was never really a part of that scene, though I do remember CompuServe!

CompuServe! A lot of that was before my time. Oddly enough, most of my early childhood memories involve computers.

I remember in 1999-2000, in one of those stores that sell liquidated items, seeing a Y2K-compliant flashlight. Okay then...

Fun fact: The reason that Y2K seemed like hype is that, behind the scenes, there were lots and lots and lots of people working to fix it ahead of time.

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

The first email that I got hooked up, in 1997, I still use. I was so much older than, I'm younger than that now.

My first email address has been long-deactivated for inactivity, but I've been using my current one since 2007. Well, one of my current ones. I have six different emails, two main accounts, one for 'official' purposes, one for the Petty Archives, and two throwaways for sites I don't particularly trust. 

Another fun fact: email predates the World Wide Web by a lot. It even predates ARPANET (1969). One of its earliest iterations, the MAIL command at MIT's compatible time-sharing system (CTSS) is from 1965!

Probably. Dana used to be on the official Tom Petty forums. They're pretty much empty/dead now. I think she and Adria are both members of Tom Petty Nation on Facebook, but I'm not. I don't like the founder of the group for many reasons. I really wouldn't recommend trying to contact them, if that's what you're wondering. I'm a very private person, so I generally try to promote respect from a distance when it comes to the fan/hero relationship. There's nothing worse than being the creepy fan, IMO. I'm not assuming you are. Just bringing it up as a point in general. My rule of thumb is to stay at least one degree away and then if someone notices you and wants to reach out to you, they can. 

3 hours ago, Liberty said:

Probably. Dana used to be on the official Tom Petty forums. They're pretty much empty/dead now. I think she and Adria are both members of Tom Petty Nation on Facebook, but I'm not. I don't like the founder of the group for many reasons. I really wouldn't recommend trying to contact them, if that's what you're wondering. I'm a very private person, so I generally try to promote respect from a distance when it comes to the fan/hero relationship. There's nothing worse than being the creepy fan, IMO. I'm not assuming you are. Just bringing it up as a point in general. My rule of thumb is to stay at least one degree away and then if someone notices you and wants to reach out to you, they can. 

Couldn't agree more. It's about time we realised that musicians and songwriters - no matter how famous and rich they are - are human beings, not demi-Gods who are entitled to have their feet kissed at every turn and no one can be seen to be criticising or commenting on any aspect of their lives when they are clearly flawed, damaged and even plain nasty characters (even if their work is good). Not knowing him at all, but having read about him so far I would not believe that of TP, but he was rather cavalier with his health, let's face it, but probably a nice guy and kind with it. So the nasty label probably doesn't apply. But none of us really knew him unless you actually had face to face dealings with him. Fans from the audience are always kidding themselves if they assume they 'know' someone they've never met. Bob Dylan was bang on with that one when he said that of fans: why should I want to meet them in person when they don't really know me. Isn't that true of any musician?

I suspect there are always a few fans, on her and other fanzine forums, that would have swooned at the prospect of touching the hem of TP's trousers though in a rather sickly display of sycophancy. Frankly, I am not of that kind - not with any personality or anyone whether they are in the public eye or not. 

6 hours ago, Liberty said:

My rule of thumb is to stay at least one degree away and then if someone notices you and wants to reach out to you, they can. 

Agreed; if an artist wants to contact you regarding fandom works or whatever, they will find a way.  I've had it happen to me several times over the years.  Otherwise, let them have their space on social media, allow them to control the amount of fandom engagement.  Social media has created a weird sense of entitlement in people.

I've said in other discussions of this kind on other forums that the best way to dehumanize someone is to worship them, and that's the last thing a fan should be doing, IMO.