Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

WTH??? Best of everything 11/9/18??

Why  the hell would they do this so close to the American Treasure set???? 

https://store.tompetty.com/new-arrivals/the-best-of-everything-2cd.html

he Best Of Everything is the first career-spanning collection of all of Tom Petty’s hits with The Heartbreakers, his solo work and Mudcrutch. The 38-track set also features two previously unreleased tracks: the poignant and autobiographical “For Real” and the collection’s lead single—an alternate version of the title track, which restores a never-heard second verse to the song that was originally recorded for the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ 1985 album, Southern Accents. Available for pre-order as a 2-disc CD, featuring deluxe packaging. 

The collection also features an essay on Tom Petty written especially for this collection by Academy Award-winning screenwriter, director, author and journalist Cameron Crowe. 

All 38 recordings on The Best of Everything have been re-mastered for this collection from pristine transfers of the original studio multi-track masters

DISC 1 
1. Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty 
2. Mary Jane's Last Dance – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
3. You Wreck Me – Tom Petty 
4. I Won't Back Down – Tom Petty 
5. Saving Grace – Tom Petty 
6. You Don't Know How It Feels – Tom Petty 
7. Don't Do Me Like That – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
8. Listen To Her Heart – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
9. Breakdown – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
10. Walls (Circus) – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
11. The Waiting – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  (dropout @ 2:17) 
12. Don't Come Around Here No More – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
13. Southern Accents – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
14. Angel Dream (No. 2) – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
15. Dreamville – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
16. I Should Have Known It – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
17. Refugee – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
18. American Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
19. The Best Of Everything (Alternate Version) – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers* 

DISC 2 
1. Wildflowers – Tom Petty  
2. Learning To Fly – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
3. Here Comes My Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
4. The Last DJ – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
5. I Need To Know – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
6. Scare Easy - Mudcrutch 
7. You Got Lucky – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
8. Runnin' Down A Dream – Tom Petty 
9. American Dream Plan B – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
10. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (featuring Stevie Nicks) – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
11. Trailer - Mudcrutch 
12. Into The Great Wide Open – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers   
13. Room At The Top – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
14. Square One – Tom Petty 
15. Jammin' Me – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
16. Even The Losers – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 
17. Hungry No More - Mudcrutch 
18. I Forgive It All – Mudcrutch 
19. For Real – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers* 

*Previously Unreleased

I think it's pretty reasonably-priced for what it is, so if you had to have it in physical form as well as An American Treasure I don't see that it would break the bank, so to speak.  And I say that as someone who can't afford a lot of those kinds of things.

However, this is just me but to leave off "A Woman In Love" again - I mean, I know it got shut out but I don't like this whole historical narrative about it not being a hit.  It was a hit, it just didn't have the chance to succeed as much as it might have.  And it's a goddamn great song.  But I am pleased that "Jammin' Me" is on there.

So do we know where "For Real" came from?  Like, which era?

ETA: from the Echo era, I guess, according to someone who's acumen is legit (to me).

It does feel a bit of a shame for this to come out so soon on the heels of An American Treasure - would have been nice for it to have its moment in the sun. It feels like a release that is a cash grab - sort of thing thats rush released after someone's death...

Aaw.. From a fan perspective, that's just numbingly stupid and utterly unnecessary. Also quite annoying. For everyone else, it's probably a lot of fun. I wouldn't know.

(Now when AAT is out of the way, I suppose we better get dressed for some harsh cold bs to come. Silly of me, I know, but I have to admit I wasn't quite prepared.. From now on, we better get used to having to buy a long list of new, variously sequenced greatest hits repackaging collections, one new set of oldies for each new prev unreleased song they plan on sharing with us. This type of thing just ruins my appetite. For everything.)

If anything, I'm offended that they photoshopped the cover.  I mean, if they didn't want to use a photo with Tom holding a cigarette then they didn't have to - there's plenty where he's not.  But when I say "offended" I just mean that I think it was stupid.

But dang it, now I have to fix Southern Accents again:P  

Yeah, I don't get the thinking or the timing on this.  We already have a couple of "Greatest Hits" releases.  And right behind the amazing "American Treasure" set?   Who or what was driving this?  The record company?  I can't see the family or the band stepping on the American Treasure release like this.

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

Aaw.. From a fan perspective, that's just numbingly stupid and utterly unnecessary. Also quite annoying.

It's fucking stupid and greedy. I love the corporate marketing speak as well. " first career-spanning collection of all of Tom Petty’s hits with The Heartbreakers, his solo work and Mudcrutch." Yeah, well, what the hell is Greatest Hits for? And why smash Mudcrutch on there; they are different than the Heartbreakers. Oh, I know. To capitalize on the sales spike from his death. Here's the same old fucking songs you already own plus some more. And aren't we awesome, here's one extra unreleased tracks. We can lure in the hardcore with that.

Why the hell do they think Napster took off? Because people want to steal music? Or because the entire industry was founded on ridiculous levels of greed. $20 for a cd that costs pennies to make, the artist maybe makes a dollar and the rest goes to cocaine snorting prostitute fucking men in suit living it up in mansions. 

Who thought this was a good idea? Just more corporate bullshit. The Best of Everything. How about we call it, Let's Drain the Fan$ instead. Who the hell is going to buy this? Greatest HIts is the perfect record for the casual fan. If I only knew the hits why the hell would I want a second disc with Dreamville and Room at the Top? Greatest Hits is the perfect record for the casual fan, all the big ones (minus YDKHIF) on one disc. And if your'e so inclined, you can venture further into the albums if you really love their music.

But if not, done in one. Perfect.

I guess I should be glad it took a year for them to start trying to milk the fans. If you're going to purchase the box set and this, screw it, you're better off just buying the individual albums that point. 

"You get to be famous, I get to be rich."

Wow. I was pretty pissed off when I typed that. It's not really that big of a deal, I'm not buyin' it, I'm sure others will or they won't. In the grand scheme this is small peanuts as it were...I just think it's a shame the record company is going for a cash grab instead of taking the high road. Oh well.

cheers

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Wow. I was pretty pissed off when I typed that. It's not really that big of a deal, I'm not buyin' it, I'm sure others will or they won't. In the grand scheme this is small peanuts as it were...I just think it's a shame the record company is going for a cash grab instead of taking the high road. Oh well.

cheers

You have every right to be.  I don't want this cash grab either.  I'll buy the two "new" tracks through Amazon, Itunes or 7digital, but that's where it stops for me.  The greed is disgusting, and I have to believe Tom would not want any part of this.  I'll just save my hard earned money for a Wildflowers, Fillmore, or 40th Anniversary Tour boxset.

Any idea why the CD track listing says The Waiting is cut off at 2:19?

5 minutes ago, downsouth26 said:

You have every right to be.

Yeah, but...it's really not worth getting that upset or typing up a big rant. These companies are going to do what they do, try to maximize profits. To think otherwise is naive. It's a cash grab but swearing up a storm ain't gonna change that. And like I said, I ain't buyin' it. There's more important things in this world to focus on.

But I appreciate your take!

cheers

What a shame.....I feel sorry for Tom because this is exactly what he wasn't...he would never authorize such a thing like this...he had integrity and never

wanted to rip off the fans.   This is why all his music in the vault should be locked so the vultures don't come in....and I'm not exactly sure who they are.

I'm not being an apologist here, this is just speculation.

Here's one thing to consider, I suppose: there may have been a contractual obligation to WMG for a greatest hits/best of package, and they're calling it in right now.  And that's a disgusting thought, certainly, but not unusual.  I imagine Tom would have fought against opportunism of any kind but no one else wields the kind of power he did.  I do agree that it lessens the intended impact of An American Treasure but it could be that there wasn't anything they could do to stop its' release.  If anything, WMG could be hurting their bottom line in that many die-hard fans may take a pass on it.  Casual fans will probably snap it up, though.  Maybe it doesn't even matter to them how many physical sales there are, they just wanted to take additional advantage of that back catalog spike which occurs when a beloved artist dies.  It's a measurable data point now.  And that is the true tragedy.

um is it interesting to note that Benmont Tench hasn't mentioned this release at all in his twitter account?

whereas he promoted  American Treasure & seems really proud of the collective effort that produced it - labor of love & cathartic in a time of grief... 

Whoa, I haven't even made it all the way through my thoughts on An American treasure yet! At first blush, here are my initial thoughts about this:

1. I don't see this as a big deal. It's just an updated greatest hits. It's a little odd to announce and release it so close to the new box set, but I don't think it's a greed thing or anything bad. It's just a packaging of the hits everybody here has and has heard a hundred thousand times. An easy one to ignore/not buy for me. But how is this a bad thing? For a casual fan, this could be considered the definitive greatest hits. It's a worthwhile project, and there's no overlap -- or at least not enough overlap -- with other rarities type releases to see this as a string-bet style cash grab. I'm OK with it.

2. That said, including two "new" tracks is a marketing eye-roller. But in the long run, I don't really care. As long as the two songs make their way to Spotify (one already has!) or can be purchased individually, what's the big deal? This isn't 1993 anymore, where you have to buy the whole album to hear one song.

3. I do however hate that the tracks aren't in chronological order! Maybe that's just me. The mix tape approach worked for the Live Anthology, but I really think a greatest hits package like this is much better in chronological order, allowing you to see the progression of the band and its sound over time. If I were buying this, that would be a huge turn off for me. It literally ruins the whole thing, IMO.

4. Missing tracks: No excuse to leave off "A Woman in Love," "It's Good to Be King" and "Swingin'" for sure. "Change of Heart," "Rebels," "Free Girl Now," "Have Love Will Travel," "Good Enough" and "U Get Me High" could all have cases to make it too. You could totally make room for those, as there are tracks here that don't need to be. For example, it's weird to have three tracks from Mudcrutch 2, when there's only one each from the three albums that proceeded it.

5. I'm really looking forward to "For Real"!

5 hours ago, chimera said:

Here's one thing to consider, I suppose: there may have been a contractual obligation to WMG for a greatest hits/best of package, and they're calling it in right now.  And that's a disgusting thought, certainly, but not unusual.  I imagine Tom would have fought against opportunism of any kind but no one else wields the kind of power he did.  I do agree that it lessens the intended impact of An American Treasure but it could be that there wasn't anything they could do to stop its' release.  If anything, WMG could be hurting their bottom line in that many die-hard fans may take a pass on it.  Casual fans will probably snap it up, though.  Maybe it doesn't even matter to them how many physical sales there are, they just wanted to take additional advantage of that back catalog spike which occurs when a beloved artist dies.  It's a measurable data point now.  And that is the true tragedy.

• Well for me the earth-shattering thing is whether the record company has done this without taking into consideration the wants and needs of the band & family... I mean - timing is terrible (1 year anniversary) & the way  American Treasure was announced & released with active loving support by the family & band & engagement with fans is so very different.  If this is the case it's very poorly done indeed by record company. 
  • If it's one stage worse & it's announced without the prior knowledge or wholehearted consent of the band & family... then that's appalling. 
    • I am leaning towards this explanation - awful though it is - because there's been no mention on things like Annakim's instagram or Benmont Tench's twitter about this album. By contrast they actively promoted American Treasure.
    • Has there been much about it on the Sirius radio? 
  • If it's something that the band & family are okay with? Well, that doesn't sit well with my understanding of them but obviously I could be wrong... Okay, it'll get a bit of the Christmas buzz maybe & capitalize on the one-year mark.  But surely it doesn't make much sense to have released this in such a different way to American Treasure. They'd have been more efficient marketing them both at the same time... For example, by mentioning the existence of  both this Greatest Hits & Am Treasure during some of those interviews...  And I'd have expected the band / family to have been more actively engaged in this second release...
  • Or maybe there's another explanation we've not considered.  
  • PS agree with you Chimera my dear that there are a gazilliion photos of Tom Petty... Why choose one which they feel they need to photoshop?  My eyes are rolling.

• If you're out there feeling annoyed, you could start sending emails to the record label & tompetty.com They'll love getting emails asking them to explain themselves & urging them to do better next time they consider releasing some albums.  Honest feedback has a valuable role.
  • Maybe  Ryan Ulyate who (I just found by a quick search) has a website with contact address of ryan@ulyate.com I don't think that putting this constact on this post crosses any boundaries, but if it does, please remove it.  I personally think that'd be a good place to start asking questions / seeking explanations.  

Yeah the timing may be off on this but it's funny,  I'm not offended by this and I will buy it.   I love holding the CD case in my hand. Everyone's idea of what the best of everything should be is going to be different, isn't it?  In fact, we can all compile our own best of everything playlist and we do!  I do.   Honestly, I'm more disappointed reading all of the angry posts above.