Shelter

An American Treasure (2018) - Reviews & Ponderings

15 hours ago, mikemono said:

^ i have a similar thing but with a different song. The C D G chord pattern that goes over the refrain line “and I’m waiting for the bus to Tampa Bay” isn’t just the same chords but sung in an incredibly similar way to “Orphan of the Storm”

Highway Companion is probably the least listened to of anything Tom ever did, so when I hear Bus To Tampa Bay I hear it as its own song and not being the offshoot of these other songs. Saving Grace, Big Weekend, and Night Driver come to mind, I couldn't even hum the other songs on this record, each time I've gone to listen to it the songs make no connection for the most part, not even the novelty of Tom drumming holds my interest.

cheers

On 10/9/2018 at 9:25 PM, twisterseal said:

Seems like a very good box set....although I haven't listened to it yet - but I heard several of the songs on Sirius radio.

That said, I don't know if anyone mentioned a few glaring errors in that 52 page booklet....especially on page 9 where

they say nothing about song 3 ("anything that's rock n roll") and then go from song 3 to song 9 (breakdown)

and then goes back to song 4 on the next page (and then goes from song 8 to 10 on page 13).     I could not believe my eyes when

I saw that.   With all the time they had, and people that worked on it...how could not 1 person notice that?     (also some songs

had nothing written under them at all).  Tom was a meticulous perfectionist and would never let something like that be published

with so many errors.      

Well, no--songs 3 and 9 are written about together because they are from the same broadcast, and "Anything That's Rock 'n Roll" is mentioned in the text following those two titles. This occurs at other points during the booklet, as on disc 2, where tracks 1 and 3 are listed together before track 2. It might be a little confusing at first, but it does make sense.

This isn't to say there aren't errors--the booklet would have benefited from a good proofreader--but this sort of thing isn't one of them.

3 hours ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Did anybody else notice that the alternate version of Wake Up Time sounds like it could've influenced or evolved into House In The Woods? It has that feel to the rock riff, and a similar pacing/tempo....

Yep, that was my first reaction to hearing it. 

On September 28, 2018 at 5:39 AM, Shelter said:

Empty so far... but I thought this may be a good place to pour your hearts out. Or link to others' labour of love or confusion.

Having not listened to TPATH for a chunk of time I thought I'd give this another listen. 

Here Comes My Girl----what an outro! That alone makes it worth of release. That unique blending of instruments, of the personalities makes this soar, that extended instrumental is the singer's pure joy. Too bad they never just let it go on and on like that in concert.

Keep A Little Soul---It sounds like middle of the road TPATH, that jaunty feel, like something that could've gone on their second album. I used to not like it so I guess it grew on me a bit but I don't have much to say about it.

Don't Treat Me Like A Stranger---When I first looked up unreleased songs on youtube and this popped up I instantly liked it. Emotional, powerful, catchy, if it had been released on FMF it would've worked. Though I think this, based on the sound would have maybe worked best on the second half of Long After Dark, would've fit in with the moodier songs, this yearning a nice contrast to Straight Into Darkness, along the same lines but something else altogether. Just one of their best songs!

Walkin' From the Fire----Is this not the best unreleased song from Southern Accents? Are there other gems waiting for the light of day? I like the slinky guitars, Stan playing just behind the beat, the only thing I suppose I don't like are the lyrics that were reused for My Life/Your World. It's a bit jarring but understandable. Too bad they never put this on a latter day record, all they had to do was change a bit of the verses. But enough of what wasn't done, again Mike the master of simplicity adds the perfect guitar playing, the first two notes like a hawk screeching in the distance. I like the quiet breakdown as well, what an ensemble. Another really good song.

Wake Up Time---My thoughts are the same as before on this one, I like this alternate version but it makes sense for the album that they went with the take they did.

Gainesville----I remembered absolutely nothing of this song, except maybe I wasn't too fond of it. I like it now though. There's a light airy feeling that keeps the nostalgia lyrics from being too heavy. It's a sweet song. I like Benmont's brief solo, the song seems like it becomes more energized as it goes on, which I like, a mini-celebration.

Bus To Tampa Bay----Reminds me of something off the Last DJ. I'm quite glad this didn't make it onto Hypnotic Eye as it would've thrown off the feel of that record, all heaviness, power with some tender experimental songwriting. This also reminds me of something from Into the Great Wide Open, almost like Dark of the Sun. It's pleasant, something to listen to perhaps on a boardwalk by the ocean, reminds me of Jimmy Buffet. Not really something I care for but in small doses, it's okay.

I Don't Belong----reminds me of Won't Last Long. This could've fit on Echo was one of the uptempo-downbeat songs on that record. I like this one, pretty good tune. I really like the verses quite a bit and that chiming guitar. I guess this is one of the latter day TPATH that has their more known feel with almost jangling guitars.

Lonesome Dave---Unlike other songs where my feelings have changed, this one has stayed the same. Too bad there wasn't more of an interesting riff or chord progression but the lyrics and energy of the song power it past the more rockabilly-Chuck Berry derivative feel. About a quarter of the way in I don't care how derivative it is, the energy of the band has me dancin' along.

And fun to hear Benmont bashing at the piano. Another fast song, it often feels like there aren't enough fast songs or something, that there's just something fun when they rock out like this. A throwback song but fun. I like Tom's laugh at the end and the brief guitar thing Mike does towards the end, almost like another riff or interesting chord or something. The way Tom takes the melody in the verses though is really good, same with Benmont's organ solo. A song made for a residency but I guess it't not to be in this world.

Keepin' Me Alive----I like this song, I think I first heard it on Playback. This version seems slower than the other but it could just be since I've not listened to it in a long time. Sounds like a pop hit, well, it could've been one for them. I like it.

Two Men Talking----I've liked this since I first heard it, when I was all excited to get the mail and tear open the Soundstage DVD. Melinda and this tune were the big hits for me. So it's interesting to hear a studio version when I'm so used to hearing the live, of which, Mannheim from 2012 remains my favorite, long with an impressive Ron Blair Bass solo; last time they ever played it I do believe. The main difference between the clean sound of the studio is the moody bridge which I quite enjoy. Like I said before, I think it could've fit on Hynpotic Eye, either replacing Shadow People or having it somewhere earlier, so it ends Side A while Shadow People ends Side B. So not much new to add to this one but one of their best tunes of their latter days, definitely an example of doing a lot with very little.

cheers

18 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Bus To Tampa Bay----Reminds me of something off the Last DJ. I'm quite glad this didn't make it onto Hypnotic Eye as it would've thrown off the feel of that record, all heaviness, power with some tender experimental songwriting. This also reminds me of something from Into the Great Wide Open, almost like Dark of the Sun. It's pleasant, something to listen to perhaps on a boardwalk by the ocean, reminds me of Jimmy Buffet. Not really something I care for but in small doses, it's okay.

Interesting that it evokes Jimmy Buffet to you. While - aside from the totally brilliant The Weather Is Here, I Wish You Were Beatiful - I can't much stand that man, I actually can see what you mean. Myself, I kinda find BTTB a bit lightweight perhaps. Actually feels like a leftover to me, or a not quite finished idea, but as such it's actually very atmospheric and quite charming. As for references.. and I think it's been mentioned before (by Tomfest? myself?) that if there was a straight line of music idea progress to follow, through the pages of a Tom Petty song writing notebook, BTTB would surely be that missing page right between Down South and Ankle Deep. Musically, it sure feels A LOT like an early draft, or somewhat obvious rewrite of the latter.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:25 PM, twisterseal said:

Seems like a very good box set....although I haven't listened to it yet - but I heard several of the songs on Sirius radio.

That said, I don't know if anyone mentioned a few glaring errors in that 52 page booklet....especially on page 9 where

they say nothing about song 3 ("anything that's rock n roll") and then go from song 3 to song 9 (breakdown)

and then goes back to song 4 on the next page (and then goes from song 8 to 10 on page 13).     I could not believe my eyes when

I saw that.   With all the time they had, and people that worked on it...how could not 1 person notice that?     (also some songs

had nothing written under them at all).  Tom was a meticulous perfectionist and would never let something like that be published

with so many errors.      

Sorry to respond to an old comment, but I just saw this while reading through the thread.

The songs on page 9 are part of the same concert -- so in the booklet, they are grouped together. That's also why some songs have nothing printed under them -- because songs were grouped together. (page 19, for example)

So, those aren't really errors. It's a bit confusing, though.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:08 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Don't Treat Me Like A Stranger---When I first looked up unreleased songs on youtube and this popped up I instantly liked it. Emotional, powerful, catchy, if it had been released on FMF it would've worked. Though I think this, based on the sound would have maybe worked best on the second half of Long After Dark, would've fit in with the moodier songs, this yearning a nice contrast to Straight Into Darkness, along the same lines but something else altogether. Just one of their best songs!

I've really grown to love this song in the last few months -- it has that Jeff Lynne sound that can grow a little tiresome, but it doesn't overdo it. Glad they included it here -- seems like it should have been on Playback with the other b-sides. 

Well I finally found this at the library ,the 4 disc version ,to put on my computer . 

I listened to it over the weekend on a ride to see my GF ,who lives 2 1/2 hours away ,  my first over all impression is , to many live songs .   I already have the live box , so why not put all these live tracks on a separate CD .  And just use this for alternative takes and unreleased songs ? 

I too ,believe as a earlier person mentioned , think edits shouldn't be consider alternative versions , a person could do that with every song recorded if that was all it is . 

Overall , I'm glad I finally got this ( and the deluxe set of the Beatles Sgt pepper ).   Being retired and on a fixed income I'll probably be getting most of my music from the library nowadays.  The only thing bad with that is not having the liner notes .  ( Another sore point for me is the size of the print & the small photos ) . 

I was surprised to see over the weekend mention that this was the first anniversary for the AAT box set. 

Anyone have fresh thoughts on the set now that we have lived with it for a year?  I still am in love with the raw version of Damage you've done.  Really liking Gainesville but I still find the alternate lyrics on 'Don't fade on me' a bit jarring to hear.  Having been at the HOB Boston show for 'Hungry No More' really made the set special for me. Its funny how they have released that track twice now with slightly different edits and the HCC version has Tom talking before the song and the box set has him speaking after it. :)  * that's off the top of my head with the saddest of anniversary's approaching I'll try and give the set a listen this week. - right now I've got one of the 99 Fillmore shows playing. :wub: 

*my wife was wearing the Mudcructh 2 shirt and I was taken aback by how few dates they played on that tour (21 including a couple of festivals at about 16 venues), I'd kill for a copy of the Boston show in full, but have enjoyed some of the other sets off of livepetty. :) 

On September 30, 2019 at 9:34 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

Anyone have fresh thoughts on the set now that we have lived with it for a year?

I hope someone jumps in here. I don't have anything to add at this point. 

'Don't fade on me' a bit jarring to hear.

I think if Don't Fade On Me wasn't one of the best tracks on Wildflowers I'd be more open to alternate lyrics; but I think the song is just pretty much good as it was originally released. Listening to it now, reminds me of a dark side of It's Alright For Now. 

this was the first anniversary for the AAT box set. 

What do you think of it now instead of when you first heard it?

cheers