Shelter

An American Treasure (2018) - Reviews & Ponderings

39 minutes ago, twisterseal said:

I think Tom listened to what the band said, but the end decision was his.

I agree with you but it presupposes Tom would be completely opposed to any of these unreleased songs seeing the light of day.

Considering he was planning on Wildflowers: All the Rest, he was open to the idea of releasing songs from their archives. We're also not privy to whatever discussions Tom had with them regarding archival tracks, he may have been in favor of releasing them one day in the future while in the present he was focused on creating new music. 

But even if that isn't true, I think it comes down to: do you release music Tom wrote with the band, completed songs from the archives or because he isn't here, keep them forever locked away? Unless Tom was adamant against this, I think the most logical thing to do is release the music. Everyone will understand these tunes were let in the wild so to speak without his supervision. Tom wrote music to be listened to and enjoyed, if the choice is releasing or not releasing, I think better to err on the side of sharing than keeping them locked away.

cheers

Great points.  Maybe Tom had discussions with the band.  I recall Mike saying he had a hard time figuring out what Petty would have wanted released.

He didn't want to compromise the greatness of Petty by releasing songs that were less than stellar.    My personal thought is that Tom had control

of all his songs and what was released and chose to keep some in the vault, for whatever reason.   I think it's his personal songs in that vault and

should probably remain there....it's like releasing someone's personal journal or diary after they are gone.  While I love to hear new songs, it's like

invading his privacy and might not have been his wishes.    I think he released all the great songs he wanted to during his lifetime.  He might have

wanted to release other songs in the vault when the time came that he was not able to sing anymore...but since he is not here any longer, we

will never know  his thoughts.  I see the other side of this too and respect everyone's opinion......Tom was the best, let's just enjoy the music he left us.

24 minutes ago, twisterseal said:

While I love to hear new songs, it's like

invading his privacy and might not have been his wishes.

I respect that. :)

It's happening anyway though and so I think if Mike and Ben have a strong hand in future releases they will be of top notch quality and not exploitative. And finite. Eventually they'll be an end to the releases, even the concerts. And that's all right, you know. There's plenty of music to enjoy and live performances to listen to on long drives.

cheers

Here's one thing which informs my perspective...I have a good friend who is part of the organization around a very well-known legacy band.  He's one of the gatekeepers, although he doesn't get to make the big decisions.  The people who do, however, are not particularly concerned with honoring the legacy; they just want to continue to generate revenue.  It's a shit-show, IMO, when one considers most of the things they've done over the past decade as regards said band.  Granted, there are many fans who would disagree with me on that.

So therefore I am wholly thankful that the people who are the gatekeepers of Tom's legacy are people who make decisions out of love and respect and a desire to illustrate why it all matters.  The people who love him so much that they understand how important it is to get it right.

1 minute ago, chimera said:

The people who do, however, are not particularly concerned with honoring the legacy; they just want to continue to generate revenue.  It's a shit-show, IMO,

My impression is this is more often the case than not. Thanks for sharing. While not a fan of this box set I respect that between Mike, Ben and the family it was made with a lot of consideration. 

cheers

On 9/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, Mr Timba said:

I"The best of everything". They say this track belongs to the SA sessions.... yes? Well, it is the same track used in SA, and we all know that this track belongs to the HP sessions. The main difference (in my ears) between the album track and this "alternate take" is a keyboard. The album track has a keyboard, and this alternate take don't. Apart from that keyboard, little things, little details, but the basic tracks are just the same. I think it would be a better and a more interensting choice, to put into the box the "naked basic tracks" wtithout the overdubs made by Robbie Robertson. I want to hear "The best of everything" without the layers added by Robbie. There is, at least, one early live performance of this song from the early eighties  with an extra verse. Maybe they have recorded this extra verse, I don't know, and maybe Robbie cut that verse to make the song more suitable... It is only a speculation. In any case a naked version without the horns it would be a more interesting thing.

I said this thing the last week.

From tompetty.com:

"The Best Of Everything is the first career-spanning collection of all of Tom Petty’s hits with The Heartbreakers, his solo work and Mudcrutch. The 38-track set also features two previously unreleased tracks: the poignant and autobiographical “For Real” and the collection’s lead single—an alternate version of the title track, which restores a never-heard second verse to the song that was originally recorded for the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ 1985 album, Southern Accents. Available for pre-order as a 2-disc CD, featuring deluxe packaging." 

Well, I think we don't not deserve this kind of treat. Two releases in a row. A bunch of songs we already have. And a little dose of unreleased tracks. No. This is not the way. Sorry.

Bringin' this back to the unreleased songs, I think Walkin' From the Fire is the best of 'em in my opinion. It really is surprising they didn't add this to Southern Accents since it only has nine tracks. Or bring it back out for Let Me Up, could've been a good midpoint song, that album opens with Jammin' Me, and ends with Let Me Up, in the middle you could've had this song. 

I think it would've fit just fine on Hypnotic Eye as well, perhaps between Burnt Out Town and Shadow People.

But at least it's out there now to be enjoyed. 

cheers

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

But that doesn't mean the band wants to change the rest. It's perhaps more an examination or an attempt to share things they maybe wanted the world to hear but were filtered by producers and certain styles of the time.

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth. I've been getting cynical more and more lately. Sorry bout that.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I can see why you went with revisionism.

But overall, I'd rather hear unreleased songs or like I said, tunes that are really different from the album versions.

Yes, I totally understand that.

I've been growing fonder and fonder of American Treasure, though. It's really an interesting and beautiful collection that avoids the usual pitfalls of straightforward greatest hits collections or anthologies and offers a different perspective on Tom's work. I can't help but thinking it was mostly Benmont Tench who picked the tracks. They're just so sophisticatedly chosen.

11 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

I've been getting cynical more and more lately.

Eh, it happens.

11 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

I've been growing fonder and fonder of American Treasure, though. It's really an interesting and beautiful collection that avoids the usual pitfalls of straightforward greatest hits collections or anthologies and offers a different perspective on Tom's work. I can't help but thinking it was mostly Benmont Tench who picked the tracks. They're just so sophisticatedly chosen.

Interesting, maybe you'll have more to share the more you listen. You could be right about Benmont, I guess him and Mike and some of Tom's family had the big say with it. Though I still wonder why they picked YOU AND I WILL MEET AGAIN. I wonder if Shelter's petition had somehow made it to the band's camp in some way or the other. Or if they were going back through songs and were struck by how good this was. I've a feeling there was quite a bit of that regardless, rediscovering songs not heard by them in ages.

cheers

Totally into "Lonesome Dave" right now.  Little rockabilly thing - which is weird because Lonesome Dave didn't really do that.  I loved him with Foghat - they were my very first concert way back when, and as the lyrics say here - he liked to boogie that English blues.  I wore out the Foghat "Energized" album in my limited album collection at the time. And the "Rock and Roll Outlaws" album as well.  Still listen to them once in a while.  They're fun to play guitar along with.  RIP Lonesome Dave.

Sure this song is a bit derivative, but the fun factor and energy are off the charts!  And yes, Tom's laugh at the end kind of spills the secret that's it's not a very serious affair. Another fun one for me to pick up a guitar and jam with the boys.  Which is always good fun.

I'm enjoying the tunes on YouTube right now , not being able to afford the box set , plus there's tons of other stuff coming out now so I've got to wait.  Anyway the one good thing about this box set , and maybe the powers to be are thinking this too , Tom's fans aren't getting any younger.   Now the Beatles last year came out with the Sgt.Pepper box set , 50 years later....ok so I was 12 when I got it originally , so I made it , but I know several other Beatle fans that died before the 50 th anniversary.  They would've loved it .  Same with the coming soon white album box set.  Now for Tom , I started to really get into him around the time of FMF...so I had to back track all his older stuff.  But say if you were 20 in 76 ...you're up there now and you won't be here for the 50th..of say " wild flowers " , so it's best to get it out to the fans.  It's like after Elvis died all these outakes , alt versions , etc came out.  There's even a label that just puts out stuff for fans.  Maybe that's what will happen with Tom.  The Beach Boys have had several archival releases these past few years of digital downloads only.   But once again ,  I know Beach Boys fans who are no longer around that would've loved these releases.  In closing in my opinion , bring it on. 

On 10/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, Liberty said:

I want to be excited about hearing new songs... But I'm just sad. 
I finally listened to it last night and just sobbed my way thought it. 

So grateful to have this. I feel comforted by it, but the wound is still raw. 

I think that is the point. For something like this, it would be nice to reflect back and remember the good and happy times TP gave fans and feel snuggly warm and satisfied that he has left such a wonderful legacy - an all enduring artistic presence that no longer feels painful albeit it a little sobering that he can't do more live shows or make new music. The feeling fans should get is one of comfort and joy, overwhelmingly, not the raw emotion of having just lost an artist very recently to the point that you start sobbing through the songs. 

I think the timing stinks!  It's almost as though they expect TP to be forgotten, so they need to get in there quick and release everything he's ever done to ensure it won't. 

A 10th anniversary would have been a befitting way to release these types of nostalgia compilations. Just my twopenneth.

Seems like a very good box set....although I haven't listened to it yet - but I heard several of the songs on Sirius radio.

That said, I don't know if anyone mentioned a few glaring errors in that 52 page booklet....especially on page 9 where

they say nothing about song 3 ("anything that's rock n roll") and then go from song 3 to song 9 (breakdown)

and then goes back to song 4 on the next page (and then goes from song 8 to 10 on page 13).     I could not believe my eyes when

I saw that.   With all the time they had, and people that worked on it...how could not 1 person notice that?     (also some songs

had nothing written under them at all).  Tom was a meticulous perfectionist and would never let something like that be published

with so many errors.      

On October 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM, TomFest said:

Sure this song is a bit derivative, but the fun factor and energy are off the charts!  And yes, Tom's laugh at the end kind of spills the secret that's it's not a very serious affair.

You make a good point. When he gets to the lyrics of the "disco king" the song takes off a bit for me. It is a fun song with I think a neat trick Tom does with his singing that takes the song in an interesting direction. The opening and first guitar solo (second one is better) are the weakest parts; nice rhythm though and of course Benmont's soloing, particularly the second one, mix of piano and organ, so sweet.

Like I said before the energy carries it over for me as it goes along but it's just maybe meant as a fun rock-n-roll tune. I think if the intro had been a little different maybe this one would've ended up an album sometime; the verses are really cool. Anyway, fun song, you're right.

Have fun jammin' on it with your friends.

^ I think that’s one of the better new songs in the package. Really cool to know from the Sirius interview that Marion graciously uploaded that Tom didn’t put it on ‘Hypnotic Eye’ because he thought he could re-record it later with / save it for Mudcrutch. 

“Walkin From the Fire,” though, takes the cake for being my new favorite song from the set. Incidentally, the completely new (not alternate version) ones released in advance are the ones I like the least. 

^ i have a similar thing but with a different song. The C D G chord pattern that goes over the refrain line “and I’m waiting for the bus to Tampa Bay” isn’t just the same chords but sung in an incredibly similar way to “Orphan of the Storm”

1 hour ago, mikemono said:

Tom didn’t put it on ‘Hypnotic Eye’ because he thought he could re-record it later with / save it for Mudcrutch. 

I think that was a smart call, I don't think it would've fit on Hypnotic Eye or would've seem too out of place relative to the other songs on the album. Two Men Talking feels like it could've worked there but figuring out the right place for it without losing a song was more of an issue. Plus it would've put two longer songs on one album and while that could work I could see why it didn't make it on there. 

1 hour ago, mikemono said:

“Walkin From the Fire,” though, takes the cake for being my new favorite song from the set.

Since they hadn't put it on Southern Accents (there was room for it!) I could see on the record if they'd thought of it, or re-recorded the song, placed between Burnt Out Town and Shadow People. I think it could be the best of the unreleased songs.

cheers

I was just listening to All or Nothing and I don't care how processes the sound, how much Lynne had an effect, it's a darn good song. To me, this is the difference between a unique riff and chord progression/melody vs. something like Lonesome Dave. Is there a George Harrison slide influence? Could be, I'm not the one to ask but this song is uniquely TPATH, some nice fills by Stan, and exquisite playing by Mike. Another underrated classic. Picture the band playing this one around the time of Mojo, how much heavier it may have sounded. The end of the solo takes some nice twists before it returns to the melody.

I recognize why they stopped playing it, perhaps they weren't happy with how it sounded live or the crowd wasn't that responsive which would be a surprise as ITGWO I think, was pretty successful and this was before Greatest Hits was released. So I'm assuming that many in the audience had heard this song on the record. Who knows? 

Again, if they ever release a Live Anthology 2 I hope one of the few live versions make it on there.

But anyway, I like TPATH the most when they have something distinctive about their songwriting, be it riff or melody, guitar line etc. though often they have all of that. But that's the primary difference, to me, between their more interesting songs and things like Lonesome Dave. I wonder if All or Nothing was up for consideration for American Treasure.

cheers