Shelter

An American Treasure (2018) - Reviews & Ponderings

17 hours ago, chimera said:

Oh wow, "Walkin' From The Fire" ...

It's a great song in general - IMO

Interesting to hear it with the My Life/Your World lyrics. Really good music. Too bad they didn't pull this one out again with new lyrics, I think it would've fit in great on Hypnotic Eye. Maybe even ITGWO, actually, it could've fit on a bunch of albums. I also appreciate the lack of horns.

Two Men Talking nearly sounds like the live versions. "...she left me twice...." is a good line. I really like the instrumental breakdown, whatever echo effect (?) is going on with the guitar before Benmont plays a bit. 

Where would you place it on Hypnotic Eye?

I think it could either replace Shadow People though I know it's a much beloved tune by some on here and does act as a good final moment on the last Heartbreakers album (with Tom alive to directly be in charge). Yet it's another epic song, so I think it could also close out Side A. But actually it fits after Forgotten Man, you get this short rave up into a longer jammy piece which then transitions to Sins of My Youth which is a good come down from Two Men Talking.

I think Hypnotic is perfect as is but had they included this one, I think it needs to be far enough away from Shadow People without messing up the first part of the record.

I wonder why they left this one off. Perhaps because it was another longer song on an album meant to be punchy and upbeat that already culminates in a long song. I guess another spot this could work on the record without taking a song away would be in the #5 spot, moving all the rest of the songs up one. 

For a song that's over six minutes it sure does fly by fast!

cheers

Lonesome Dave---That opening riff is way too derivative and is just not good. I know TPATH love that style of rock music but it sounds so generic, I don't care for the opening at all. However, the melody in the verses are quite good. The guitar solo is back to the generic rock. I do like Benmont's solo. A case where the verses are much better than the rest of the song. Yet the rollicking power carries it along as well and I love Benmont's second solo, the contrast between the piano and the organ. Mike's second lead is much better than the first as well; this song transforms as it goes, gets much better.

While it's a mix for me, overall I think the good outweighs the bad. i guess this is another one of Stan's Last Album songs, I really like the energy and the outro of the song is good. For my taste, changing the intro a bit and moving further from 50s early 60s rock to something else would be better but I do like this.

Some quick initial thoughts...

Lonesome Dave seems to be on the road Driving Down To Georgia :) 

Bus To Tampa Bay is a very interesting song. For me it has strong echoes of Blue Sunday, Dreamville, Angel Dream and most strikingly King Of The Hill (with Roger McGuinn)     

Walking from the Fire sounds like a more complete/finished actualised song than Dogs On The Run with the intro to The Damage You've Done from Let Me Up I've Had Enough album in my view, and I LOVE Dogs On The Run, always felt that it faded out far too quickly on the Southern Accents album....

Bus To Tampa Bay (GREAT lyrics) my favourite of those three...so far! Go Gators!!!!:)

Yeah I started crying all over again at that - plus it was just a beautiful performance of that particular song.  I also like the version of IWBD included, I didn't remember that arrangement either!  I'm not that crazy about IWBD now, so it was nice to hear it anew in a way.

The other track I keep getting stuck on (for now) is "Deliver Me" - which isn't much different from the final version but I think it's just hearing that amazing chemistry there, in one particular take, and I've always loved that song anyway.  When Jimmy says on the talkback, "I think that was great," I'm, like, "I know, right?!"

Same thing with "Here Comes My Girl" -  DAT OUTRO THO.

7 hours ago, Caruso65 said:

I really love the live version of Losers from 89 and Wide Open from 91, really wish the would release full

live concerts from the archives 

I think both are in circulation for years. I have the Oakland boot since 1992. It has a nice sound. If my memory serves me well the vhs "Take the highway" it's a splice of the two shows in Oakland in 1991.

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Two Men Talking nearly sounds like the live versions. "...she left me twice...." is a good line. I really like the instrumental breakdown, whatever echo effect (?) is going on with the guitar before Benmont plays a bit. 

Where would you place it on Hypnotic Eye?

I think it could either replace Shadow People though I know it's a much beloved tune by some on here and does act as a good final moment on the last Heartbreakers album (with Tom alive to directly be in charge). Yet it's another epic song, so I think it could also close out Side A. But actually it fits after Forgotten Man, you get this short rave up into a longer jammy piece which then transitions to Sins of My Youth which is a good come down from Two Men Talking.

I think Hypnotic is perfect as is but had they included this one, I think it needs to be far enough away from Shadow People without messing up the first part of the record.

I wonder why they left this one off. Perhaps because it was another longer song on an album meant to be punchy and upbeat that already culminates in a long song. I guess another spot this could work on the record without taking a song away would be in the #5 spot, moving all the rest of the songs up one. 

For a song that's over six minutes it sure does fly by fast!

cheers

Drop "Sins of My Youth", a generic song that didn't fit the album and sound all that great and put it in betweem "Forgotten Man" and "Power Drunk". "Shadow People" is way too good of a track to be dropped

Shadow people and Faulty Lines are the strongest numbers on Hypnotic Eye.

Shadow people is Tom's pessimistic perception of the world. A world that Tom saw through his hypnotic eyes. The bass line in this song is awesome, just like a heartbeat when you see this crappy world. The best choice to close this album.

Oh no! Super sad to have missed out on that extra track from the Live Leg EP!  I should've pre-ordered.  Been trying to track that one down for forever!

LOVING the set-- The extra thirty seconds on Here Comes My Girl, the rougher Straight Into Darkness, the Rebels with real drums, the rockier version of Keeping Me Alive...

What if Long After Dark had been:

One Story Town, You Got Lucky, Ways To Be Wicked, Change of Heart, Keeping Me Alive

Keep A Little Soul, Straight Into Darkness, Deliver Me, Between Two Worlds, Wasted Life

So appreciate this coming out-- hope it's the first of many future releases.

8 hours ago, milesthedawg said:

The extra thirty seconds on Here Comes My Girl,

I could've listened to that and variations of the same for another two minutes!

8 hours ago, milesthedawg said:

What if Long After Dark had been

I gotta say I'm pretty much a Long After Dark purist. TPATH succeeded at making an album that was largely about rocking out. No  tender love ballads, ruminating on divorce and the record industry, just songs that still carry the listener through a variety of moods but primarily rock. Those other themes have their place and they eventually got to them over the years but I'm glad they "treaded water" or whatever Tom thought with this one, yielding so many catchy tight rock tunes and the underrated Finding Out.

cheers

12 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Drop "Sins of My Youth", a generic song that didn't fit the album and sound all that great and put it in betweem "Forgotten Man" and "Power Drunk"

I think Sins of My Youth has a delightfully mellow shimmer to it and doesn't quite sound like anything else they've done. That and Full Grown Boy seem like, dare I say it...echoes of one another on the album and as necessary mellow palette cleansers in their positions on the record.

While I don't love Shadow People the way others on here do, I think it is a good fitting last track to the record is a good song with a great coda by Tom. I think Two Men Talking is a good song and could've worked without losing any of Hypnotic Eye as it is but they'd have to find just the right spot to keep the records's smooth flow.

cheers

I hate to be that person, but if anyone could share some pics or scans of the booklets, maybe some highlights, I'd love that. 
I was only able to buy the digital version. I have been so busy I haven't even been able to listen to it yet. :(
It just seems like I can't get into the right state of mind and have a nice, empty evening to myself to listen to it. I want to listen straight through in the order they were arranged in order to respect the arrangement and get the full experience. 

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think Sins of My Youth has a delightfully mellow shimmer to it and doesn't quite sound like anything else they've done. That and Full Grown Boy seem like, dare I say it...echoes of one another on the album and as necessary mellow palette cleansers in their positions on the record.

While I don't love Shadow People the way others on here do, I think it is a good fitting last track to the record is a good song with a great coda by Tom. I think Two Men Talking is a good song and could've worked without losing any of Hypnotic Eye as it is but they'd have to find just the right spot to keep the records's smooth flow.

cheers

I haven't listened to Hypnotic Eye in a long time, but "Sins of My Youth" was my favorite song. Absolutely love the tone and sound of the song. The saunter of it. Just lovely... dark and light. Killer song.  

2 hours ago, Liberty said:

I hate to be that person, but if anyone could share some pics or scans of the booklets, maybe some highlights, I'd love that. 
I was only able to buy the digital version. I have been so busy I haven't even been able to listen to it yet. :(
It just seems like I can't get into the right state of mind and have a nice, empty evening to myself to listen to it. I want to listen straight through in the order they were arranged in order to respect the arrangement and get the full experience. 

I still don't have the physical box in my hands. I have to wait a little bit too. I have high quality digital flacs. I'm listening the whole thing without the booklets, and there are a bunch of things that come to my mind and I want to know what they say about some of these "alternate takes".

Well, about some of the alternate takes... I think most of them there aren't real "alternate takes". Some of these alternate takes are just "different mixes" or"different edits"; many of these "alternate takes" are the same takes used in the albums. The same vocal track in most of the cases. To name one: "The best of everything". They say this track belongs to the SA sessions.... yes? Well, it is the same track used in SA, and we all know that this track belongs to the HP sessions. The main difference (in my ears) between the album track and this "alternate take" is a keyboard. The album track has a keyboard, and this alternate take don't. Apart from that keyboard, little things, little details, but the basic tracks are just the same. I think it would be a better and a more interensting choice, to put into the box the "naked basic tracks" wtithout the overdubs made by Robbie Robertson. I want to hear "The best of everything" without the layers added by Robbie. There is, at leat, one early live performance of this song from the early eighties  with an extra verse. Maybe they have recorded this extra verse, I don't know, and maybe Robbie cut that verse to make the song more suitable... It is only a speculation. In any case a naked version without the horns it would be a more interesting thing.

I guess these are the  real alternate takes:

-Louisiana Rain

-King of the Hill

-Wake up time

-Don't fade on me (?) (Very similar to the album version, but it has a different vocal track, there are new lyrics, I guess it is not the same vocal track. There are  differences. I guess it is a completely different take, but I'm not completely sure, maybe the album version is a splice of this take with another take? The album take seems to be a little  quickened.  I don't know.)

-You and me

-Sins of my youth

-Good enough (?) I can't tell the main differences for now. I have to think that if they recorded the songs live in the studio, this take must  be a different take... To be honest. I don't know.

Well, all the other alternate takes, are the same album takes with a different mix or edited in a different form, maybe some little differences, or great differences  (just like the ending of What are you doing in my life or You're gonna get it, or the begining of Like a Diamond) maybe some of them without some overdubs... but after all, the same takes from the albums.

Those of you who have  sharp ears... please share your insights about the alternate takes.

At least back in the Iovine era (and probably before that), they would often play multiple takes of a song - we know this.  They would play the same song over and over again, together, just to get that one take which was magic.  And then there might be overdubbing on top of that track.  So at least on some of them I figure it's just another take, much like the alternate version of "Refugee" on the DTT Deluxe Edition.  Number whatever of what were hundreds of takes.  I wonder about YGGI, if it's maybe a different mix of the track they ended up using, since the strings are far more prominent.  I can see them printing a number of mixes to decide which they preferred.