Shelter

An American Treasure (2018) - Reviews & Ponderings

My super deluxe edition should be here on Monday.  Really looking forward to it.  New TPATHB muisic is exactly what I need.

Strange I haven't received any download codes or links yet.  Also, I used the Live Nation code to get the download of the Live 'Leg album and for the past few months in my store account it said that Live 'Leg would be released on 9-28-18, but now when I go to check on it, it says unavailable.  I'll give it a few days and see what happens before emailing customer service.

I don't have anything critical to note right now, but I can't stop smiling.  Wow, the clarity of this remastering is astounding - major kudos to Ryan for his work on this.  Just like with the Live Anthology, he proves that he's a great archival engineer with his attention to detail.

Oh wow, "Walkin' From The Fire" has an interpolation of "You Like Me" in it and I am here for that! :wub:  

It's a great song in general - IMO - but when I heard that I nearly screamed.

And I appreciate that Mike is doing his best Chuck Berry and Ben is doing his best Jon Lord in "Lonesome Dave." :D

4 hours ago, chimera said:

but I can't stop smiling.

I'm concerned. Maybe you should get that checked out. 

4 hours ago, chimera said:

Wow, the clarity of this remastering is astounding - major kudos to Ryan for his work on this.

It truly is. I don't even own it but I can hear it. That truly is astounding.

7 hours ago, downsouth26 said:

Live 'Leg would be released on 9-28-18, but now when I go to check on it, it says unavailable.  I'll give it a fe

I think because of the re-titling issues. It was originally called Live Turkey Leg and then Live Chicken Leg and then Pulling Your Leg before they just settled on Live Leg, so maybe they returned to the earlier title? I've written fifty letters of complaint and one postcard of congratulation and am at the post office as we speak. Err...type.

6 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

No one said there'd be interpolations on this box set! The interviewers have let us down!!!

:lol:

6 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Yes, but is he transparent?

Never!

27 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think because of the re-titling issues. It was originally called Live Turkey Leg and then Live Chicken Leg and then Pulling Your Leg before they just settled on Live Leg, so maybe they returned to the earlier title? I've written fifty letters of complaint and one postcard of congratulation and am at the post office as we speak. Err...type.

Haha!  Thanks for the good laugh, been a long day so far.

I have since received my download code for An American Treasure, but still not one for Live Leg, so I'll probably end up emailing the store about it Sunday night.  I also noticed that the store is adding TONS of new AAT merch like pins, Christmas ornaments, shirts, etc.

3 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Did you know the original title of Southern Accents was Snowthern Accents? It's true. This sudden push of Christmas merchandise is just more evidence.

My God, this is the reason I visit here.  You are just a fountain of information!

17 minutes ago, downsouth26 said:

My God, this is the reason I visit here.  You are just a fountain of information!

Yeah, we are. Kinda like that fountain on candid camera, right, that erupts right in your face, when you lean in for a sip...

So the more I listen to "Walkin' From The Fire" (and I can't seem to stop myself) it seems like maybe Tom was trying to write to the track which later became "You Like Me" but he made some changes to the structure.  And then later when he decided to use the track which became "My Life/Your World" he decided to use the parts of "Walkin'" that he liked.

I love it, I wish they had worked it up to the point of inclusion, but then again with all the things that got left off that album, it's not surprising.

(Plus I would like to believe that Tom knew "You Like Me" was a good song and didn't pass it up since I have such a deep emotional attachment to it.)

What the hell is "You Like Me"? lol. As soon as I got halfway through "Walkin' From the Fire"m, it dawned on me that it was the protoype for "My Life/Your World" because I was like, " I know these lyrics but from where?!?" An interesting song and again another treasure from the archives for Southern Accents that shows the boys were too coked up to make any good decisions.

"Two Men Talking" just keeps on showing why it should've been put on an album. The version of "Keeping Me Alive" is much better than the Playback version but not as good as the Runnin' Down a Dream version.  It almost makes you wonder why that version was ever put out with how muted it sounds in comparison to these two versions. The alternate versions of songs from LAD and the cut songs from it show that they basically made two albums during that period. It doesn't seem at all like Tom wrote a handful of songs that didn't fit with LAD's straight ahead rock and new wave song, but that he had an album's worth of songs that could have been their own album. 

The alternate take on "The Best of Everything" is great as it isn't muddied by Robbie Robertson's overproduction and sounds more like a cleaner cut. And although this version of "Rebels" is great and interesting to hear the overproduction stripped back into a clean, meaner sound that it was originally intended to have, it just doesn't beat what made the album. It's kind of like with the Kinks song "20th Century Man" and how it is an overproduced song compared to the rest of the songs on Muswell Hillbillies, it works just like that for "Rebels" imho."

The version of "Surrender" on here shows why Stan said on The Live Anthology why they just had never recorded the song well lol. Though not a bad performance sonically, Tom's vocals are very, very weak on that track. The Damn the Torpedoes version is vastly superior and the penultimate version of the song.

If there's a few songs that should've been on here that aren't, and that's a studio version of "Black Leather Woman", "Dog on the Run" "Melinda" and "Sweet William", just for the sake of posterity.

Last but not least for this quick overview of this album: Ryan Ulyate has shown why he is an amazing producer/engineer with his work. The sound quality on this and all his works with the band are nothing but short of fantastic. How he cleaned up and remastered the muddied sound of all the stuff from YGGI makes me want to hear him remaster that whole album so it doesn't sound like it was recorded under water in a submarine lol.

"You Like Me" is a track of Mike's which Stevie Nicks ended up writing lyrics to, she was going to record it for the album which became Rock A Little but didn't end up using it.  Mike gave it to Andy and David Williams for their album Two Stories (he produced about half of the album).

Of course I don't know the original name of the track if it even had one, so that's why I keep referring to it as "You Like Me."