Sign in to follow this  
livin´thing68

Gainsville (Outtake 1998) coming up next

Just heard the snippet at this time... Hard to tell. I guess to me, what I hear is both promising and a bit not so much. Has this song got a hook? I guess perhaps someone snatched it from TP radio, if it was indeed premiered there. Time will tell. In a week if no sooner. Each and every new note that reveals itself is so exciting, though, isn't it!

Yes, it is !

I ordered American Treasure as a CD and on iTunes.
Anyway, I'll have the song tomorrow.

Gainesville Prepares To Honor Tom Petty And Celebrate His Birthday.

A video with the song about Tom's birthplace would fit very well. 💔:D

https://www.wuft.org/news/2018/09/13/gainesville-prepares-to-honor-tom-petty-and-celebrate-his-birthday/

I'm reminded of Tom talking in the Storytellers video about the Heartbreakers having trouble improving on a song they were working on during the "Echo" sessions and while they were doing that, he wrote another song that turned out to be "Swingin'".   Could "Gainesville" possibly be that song?  I can see why they left it off the record.  It's just not quite there.  You can tell they put a lot of work into it.  There are some things I really like in there - what Benmont is doing, for one thing.  I just think Tom's melody isn't quite up to his usual standards.

2 hours ago, TomFest said:

I'm reminded of Tom talking in the Storytellers video about the Heartbreakers having trouble improving on a song they were working on during the "Echo" sessions and while they were doing that, he wrote another song that turned out to be "Swingin'".   Could "Gainesville" possibly be that song?  I can see why they left it off the record.  It's just not quite there.  You can tell they put a lot of work into it.  There are some things I really like in there - what Benmont is doing, for one thing.  I just think Tom's melody isn't quite up to his usual standards.

The song was actually "Free Girl Now." I can't remember where I heard Tom say it or where I read it, but I think it was in the interview that Paul Zollo unearthed from his archives that's now on YouTube. He admitted that the version of "Free Girl Now" on Echo is kind of rough for that reason: because they thought they could go back and make it better but actually didn't wind up doing that.

I do agree with your reading of "Gainesville" though: there's nothing super catchy about it, but, affectively and mood wise, I quite like the sentiment. 

“Gainesville,” a song recorded during the Echo sessions in 1998 but never wound up on the album.

Echo is supposedly his dark album,” says An American Treasure producer Ryan Ulyate. “But ‘Gainesville’ is this guy looking back on this early life. It is very self-referential from a guy who has some nostalgia for a simpler time. I love the song. It’s just great, but I can see how it didn’t necessarily fit the vibe of Echo.”

I heard the "Gainesville" song.    It was "okay" but not a memorable tune.     This is probably why it was relegated to the vault.

While I love to hear his unreleased music with the upcoming box set, part of me thinks that perhaps whatever Tom had in the

vault should be left there.   Tom was always in control of his career and what was released, and part of me likens this to

making someone's private diary be open to the public after the person is gone.  I think maybe they should let Tom have

his privacy and RIP.  Perhaps if Tom has lived, he may have released some of the songs in his vault at some point, but since

he passed away, I think this is his private collection that should remain there.   The only way any songs should be released

after his death is if he was in the middle of making a new album and half the songs were made...because then he intended

to release those songs.

I get what you're saying, but sometimes there are other reasons that a song doesn't get included on an album.  Maybe it just didn't fit the "theme" of the record.  Or maybe they just had too many songs.  Or maybe the producer (and I'm thinking of Jimmy Iovine here) persuaded Tom to leave it off.  In the case of "She's The One", a bunch of those songs were leftovers from Wildflowers.   Also, Tom fully supported and curated the "Playback" box set himself - which was a lot of outtakes etc, and so he clearly wasn't opposed to such a thing.  I'm going to side with the family and bandmates on their understanding of what Tom would have wanted. 

This song has such a killer hook and a cool vibe. It is a little rough around the edges but I think it could have made it on the album with a few edits. Maybe if there were more “free girl now” and “swingin” kind of songs on Echo then it would have fit on the album but I can see why they left it off.

I perceive this in the same reasoning that "Keep A Little Soul" was left off of Long After Dark - it didn't fit from a tonal perspective (which is of course has already been expressed).  But what's really interesting to me is the quality of reflection and nostalgia, something which Tom didn't do much of.  The more I listen to it the more I like it.

The way I see it, someone who allowed silly outtakes to be released on Playback wouldn't be upset about other parts of his legacy being shared in the same fashion.  But then again, none of us could truly say how he might feel, and we'll never know now.

15 hours ago, TomFest said:

I can see why they left it off the record.  It's just not quite there.  You can tell they put a lot of work into it.  There are some things I really like in there - what Benmont is doing, for one thing.  I just think Tom's melody isn't quite up to his usual standards.

Yeah. Question is what - if anything - has been added on for this release, or if this is how it was left back in 1998. Because productionwise it sounds fairly finished, to me. A lot of work, like you say, has been put in arrangement and mix. To great effect, too. Many great things to listen for/to. A few very nice turn of lyrics too. Problem really is the compostition, the song structure/melody. I agree. It lacks in luster.. both in hook, attitude and finesse. It strikes me as rather schematic. Like a basic structure that needs a few twists and turns to come alive, fully. With the exception of the first part of the "bridge", that does show some punch and swagger. But again, the sound is great, as is the lyrics. (Both of which made the songs inclusion on Echo a bit of a stretch, as mentioned.) 

Interesting then, no 1: Free Girl Now being another song that they struggled with. Not only did they, for various reasons, decide to include FGN on Echo, despite it not being quite finished in a vein they were totally happy with, supposedly*, they even made it the run off single. I always had some very similar "objections" about the song structure/melody of FGN as I just vented with regards to Gainesville. That is, that there is something missing in the melody, something that makes it a bit.. gammy?... a bit flat and unbalanced melodically. Something that is made up for to an extent, with that riff and the attitude with which it is delivered. I can see though, how they felt it thematically a good fit on Echo. But again, I also definately hear that they didn't feel quite done with it. And short of making structural changes in the composition, I don't see how they could. Somewhat strange song, musically, must say. And now it turned out the sessions had another one of the kind.

Interesting then.. no 2: Let's not forget that Tom also made another - perhaps melodically more successful - attempt at reminicent about the bygone days of youth, going back even further, painted with even sweeter nostalgic hues, in the song Dreamville. One of my favorites, that one. When this Gainesville song showed up as an old side track in listings, my first thought was it was a demo or early version of what was to become Dreamville. I guess though, that having done what he felt he could about Gainesville,  Dreamville was really a start-over in terms of songwriting, a whole new song with a very different vibe, but perhaps rooted in the same urge of Tom's to paint a picture of his old Florida life. (Reflection: In the context of Echo, the idyllic Gainesville feels like a lost paradise, a time before life's struggles and strive really had begun, like it does for all of us, a praising of the energy and naivitee of youth. In the context of Last DJ then, Dreamville on the other hand feels like an even more bittersweet paradise, a whole world, era and mindframe lost for all of us, in the face of thoroughly commercialized and greedy times we live in today. In deed, both are places to visit in our dreams.)

-----

* To my ears, to this day, FGN is not even as "finished" soundwise, as is Gainesville.  

11 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

if did not like at all would itbeen erased entirely off tape? (sorry very tired) intervew from early 80s mentioned bulk erase tapes

I have no idea what I was trying to say here, but here's the interview mentioned.

"They only happen once. At the end of an album, we have rooms and rooms full of tape. Sometimes we sell it back to the studio and have them bulk-erase it."

This one is a definite grower. Many things to like here. It does need a chorus though that's the missing piece in the jigsaw for me,  I kinda want to know why Gainsville is a big town.it needs more than that repeated twice, 'where we learned to wear a crown' or some rhyming couplet /lyrical nugget to tie it all together in the chorus. It's great to get these little vignettes of high quality out takes..once the quality control of out takes released is maintained very high I think it's a great gift to the fans. I too would love to know how much/if any 2018 production was done on this release or if it's true to original time. 

Since we're discussing An American Treasure in general as well; I think it's interesting to compare it to the archival/reissue compilation devoted to Chris Cornell.  It makes AAT look austere by comparison.

I gotta say, I mean I just gotta say it, I really have to, I like this one. Some excellent piano from Benmont but the whole song has this whistful bounce to it. Some simliarity yeah to the beginning of American Dream Plan B but just briefly with those chords.

I do see why they left this off. However, had they included this, dropped a few of the more somber songs and added Sweet William (?) then the album would've had more of an upbeat tenor to it; a completley different record. This song reminds me of something maybe more from ITGWO then Echo. Anyway, nice listen, thanks for sharing.

On September 22, 2018 at 6:41 PM, chimera said:

look austere by comparison.

There's some online rumbling about that box set I didn't even know there was one. Some upsetting stuff out there if you want to go looking for it, about him being murdered etc.

I think Chris Cornell has quite a few songs if not an entire album of solo material I'd quite like if/when I get around to it. Anyway, most of the time these big fancy box sets are not for me.