MuddyandMagnolia

Photo of the Day IV: Don't it feel like Heaven

Awwww.... love it! That's one happy smile (plus all the smiles on faces of Norwegian audience too!)

Couple of days early for a holiday, but still... ¬†ūüíė "Tom Petty performing with The Heartbreakers at the Palladium in New York on ūüáļūüáłJuly 4th 1980."¬†

image.thumb.jpeg.1a800349b5d782f45f3e809a69d5500e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.998f073aa0288684e6c316913dfd2165.jpeg

Also, that one from earlier this week - image¬†of yellow guitar from photographs for the¬†Long After Dark album cover¬†by Andrew Sackheim. (So they're all tidily in one thread for future reference ūüėÄ).

image.jpeg.16a930b5227387478ca585a0adc55d66.jpeg

:D cute!

Um, I'll take your bet. One cup of Maxwell coffee at stake? Without searching... 

Not entirely sure... in documentary Benmont describes the shambolic :blink: process of leaving Gainesville in 1974 with his mom's car breaking down on outskirts of town, then more motor trouble on the way to Tulsa. He shakes his head & says  something like: "oh, it was all very strange". Also, April Fools' Day is significant too in Benmont's storytelling - they all either left Gainesville on 1st April or drove down Sunset Strip to Shelter Records in LA on 1st April? With the Pettys getting hitched right before they left Florida... anniversary would need to be sometime in late March. Yet here we are in August. 

Oops I wrote * August* whereas today's still *July*. Epic fail. My bad.  Blush. (To be fair all day, we'd been discussing a bunch of things that'll happen throughout August - so maybe my brain has jumped a month ahead? Or, nah... well, no excuse, really.)

Another interesting share from Adria. Hopefully you can read the text but this was the intended cover for Into The Great Wide Open but permission was not granted until past the deadline. I like the painting they used better for the cover myself but it appears the kids on the beach in this one were reminiscent of a photo of the girls... 

Into the great wide open.png

Only kidding with that image above. That blond man in Beatle boots & sunnies is Gregg Allman & somehow not a mid-1970s Tom Petty :huh:

I like how in one of the biographies, Petty says whenever The Allman Joys (as they were called in those days) would visit Gainesville, he'd go & watch them play, even if meant sitting on a little folding chair for hours. 

image.png.d00ac9a4dea7139b089f9e91d3158780.pngimage.jpeg.ad234fd4711d01d79a47888cbfc74a3b.jpeg

Next image & quote are from an article about Jim Babjak of The Smithereens (on right).

• What made Tom Petty special?¬†Jim Babjak of the Smithereens knows. He saw Petty‚Äôs show up close when the Smithereens toured with the Heartbreakers in 2013.¬†‚ÄúHe made the audience feel like they were family, as if they were in his backyard and having a good time,‚ÄĚ Babjak said. ‚ÄúThe audience would sing along and you could see the joy on the people‚Äôs faces. I watched the audience and it was a beautiful event.‚ÄĚ

image.jpeg.c6a33bf2ecd612958fe559c26e0b0ca0.jpeg

Tom was Tom. Moved us forward, moved us back. Did what he did and didn't ask for ,or offer, apologies. Guided, led, or left all to ponder. I grew up with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Every new hit song. Guess we can all ponder the meanings to the songs. He knows.........

Rock on!