Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane0612

Mary's Jane's.... Last Spliff....

6 hours ago, chimera said:

I always thought Speedball had to go up against whatever it was by himself and it didn't end well.  But I love the sneer Tom uses on the second maid's voice.  The entire song is so cinematic to me.

Oh yeah the sneer makes it!!!  

At risk of going on ... I also read in the same Playback liner notes about Benmont liking A Woman In Love.  I'm just going from memory here (so if someone else has the actual quote, that'd be great) ...something like about how Michael brought in a demo and they all worked on the sounds until there was almost no words left in the verses... which opened up the  sound of the song so they can hear the groove / the rhythm... So that's another approach - reducing it down to a thread & letting us lucky listeners imagine for ourselves. 

Another favorite is Hurt - is it about a particular experience?  would it matter if they said it was?  The phrase that really stands out for me is the heartfelt: "Thank God for California / Thank God I'm going home."    

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

I'm just going from memory here (so if someone else has the actual quote, that'd be great)

Here you are

A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)
Date Performance: 1981, Running Time: 4:24
Comments: Recorded at Sound City, Van Nuys, CA and Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, CA. Mixed at Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, CA (MCA Records) "I loved that song," Ben says. "I believe Michael had a demo where he had played the instruments to a drum loop and it was an entirely different feel. It was really fun to break it down and mess with it until it had got to where there was virtually nothing in the verses. Duck Dunn came out and played bass on that. The groove was really interesting, all the space and the openness was really nice." "Ron Blair had started to be absent more and more from the studio and was kind of drifting away," Petty explains. "So I brought Duck in and he created a whole different thing, because he allowed all that space for the vocal. The bass on that song is so amazing. It's a live vocal with him playing along, not really sure where I'm going to go. He just hangs right behind it so well." Whatever you do, don't mention to Petty how that single got stepped on by the simultaneous release of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" by Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. "What a dirty trick!" Petty snaps. "We were so pissed off. Stations couldn't be expected to play two records of mine. Here they had one with Stevie too, and they were gonna go for it."

5 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Another favorite is Hurt - is it about a particular experience?  would it matter if they said it was?  The phrase that really stands out for me is the heartfelt: "Thank God for California / Thank God I'm going home."    

A couple things in Conversations:

"Mike wrote the middle bit, the guitar bit.  I wrote the verse and the chorus.  I wrote it on an airplane.  I had it in my head, and we were on an airplane coming back from somewhere to California.  Then when I got home, I put the music to it, and figured it all out.  And then Mike had that great guitar bit.  And we met up and put it together."

"Great chorus.  I love the chorus in that one.  I had a Dolly Parton idea in my head.  I wanted it to sound like a really good Dolly Parton song."

1 hour ago, chimera said:

"Great chorus.  I love the chorus in that one.  I had a Dolly Parton idea in my head.  I wanted it to sound like a really good Dolly Parton song."

Yeah.. I can hear a fantastic cover by Dolly, here...

On 9/13/2018 at 12:56 PM, nobodyinparticular said:

My sister quoted Mike when we were in a heated discussion after an artist put marijuana leaves in my custom Tom Petty portrait - He stated that Tom always used pot for inspiration and in his songs - and both my sister and I say 'not so'. 

Frankly, isn't this just like 'Don't come around here', where Tom said the song didn't have anything to do with the video, but that the audience interpreted it that way, and for Tom, he accepted it, sometimes welcomed it because that's what sharing his music was about. 

So regardless of what Tom intends, everyone will see a song differently, human condition. 

And I don't know how I  ended up in this thread.

On September 13, 2018 at 9:37 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

Is MJLD really about Whaccy Baccy - apparently Mary Jane is another word for Weed, which is grown prolifically in Indiana (not that I would know that), 

I hope not but if it is it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the song. I just find Marijuana not a very interesting topic. I prefer to think of the song as about lost love or a man fleeing the toxic affections of a crazy but sad woman, but sometimes I don't think about either of those things and just enjoy that riff and the band grooving...

Sometimes?! Most of the time...

5 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I hope not but if it is it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the song. I just find Marijuana not a very interesting topic. I prefer to think of the song as about lost love or a man fleeing the toxic affections of a crazy but sad woman, but sometimes I don't think about either of those things and just enjoy that riff and the band grooving...

Sometimes?! Most of the time...

a sneaky Dylan lyric in there (most of the time) though maybe it's accidental

I think everything of substance (no pun intended) on the matter has already been said here... but being the sucker for redundance that I am, I'll go on anyway! :P

It's clearly an evidence for Tom's incredibly sophisticated songwriting, I think, that he threw out the "Hey, Indiana Girl"-Chorus and came up with the one we all know and love. Sometimes being direct and unambiguous works (see I Won't Back Down), but it better be pretty good. Which isn't to say that being ambiguous is easy. I think it's an idea that is as simple as it is effective to use Mary Jane as the girl's name... the chorus thus lending the whole song an almost desperate edge. It's about goodbye, but is the character in the song saying goodbye to a girl? To his life? Her life? Who is leaving who? Is it about somebody dying? Suicide? Or just a guy hopelessly in love?

Pretty heavy stuff. And that's only the lyrics!

On 9/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, Mr Timba said:

As a friend of mine said "if a song moves you, that's all that's important". And I'm agree with him. I'm also agree with Shelter.

If the name of the girl would have been Caroline instead of Mary Jane, probably the marijuana meaning would have been more difficult to fit. But the real thing is he choose Mary Jane. "Oh my, my oh hell yes, you've got to put on the party dress..." let's roll another one? Both meanings are ok. Genius.

You're so dam cute 😍