Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane0612

Tom Petty(coat) and the Heartbreakers....

So, do you think making Stevie Nicks official instead of ''honorary' would have added or subtracted something from the band? We know she would have ditched Fleetwood Mac like a shot, had Tom asked her to join (so she claimed).  Was Tom right to keep TH's an 'all boys' club? 

Personally, I think she would have been a disaster and done more than Dragged Tom's Heart Around. I think she would have dragged his reputation down with it.  Much as I like SN's songwriting, and some of her better performances, she seems to make waves with band members and her Columbian Marching  Powder fuelled performances live were often erratic - some of them very..very....bad. 

Good as an occasional guest, but that's it. 

Solos from the floor....:)

Nice pun, lol.

"There's no girls in the Heartbreakers."

Now there's a specific inclusivity to that statement, whether or not it was merely a way for Tom to tell Stevie "no" without having to say "No you can't join my band."  I mean, he'd never been in a band with a girl so he probably felt like he couldn't handle it.  Not to mention that he wouldn't have wanted to let anyone in who asked to be let in.

But there's also the issue of no one else would have agreed to that kind of decision, whether they actually liked Stevie or not.

Of course there were honorary Heartbreakers in that era.  Phil Jones, for example.  And also Dylan, although I think Mike was mostly joking when he declared that.

Was Tom right?  Well, it was his band so I don't we're in a position to judge that.  I can understand - as I've stated above - why he didn't succumb to her campaign.  I don't think Stevie realized just how stubborn Tom was when she set about tunneling her way into their circle.  And although I don't always agree with everything that Tom did as regards the Heartbreakers, it was what it was.

Though they may have loved Fleetwood's music, they probably wanted to avoid the total shit show that was their band dynamic. If there is anything that is amazing about TPATH is that they basically had only one lineup change their entire span. That's amazing.

For sure i'm glad she was the occasional guest and not a member. I don't think they would have stayed together for the 40 years if she had officially joined the band. I like Stevie in small doses but if her performance on Ellen is an indicator she cant swing it anymore. 

34 minutes ago, martin03345 said:

If there is anything that is amazing about TPATH is that they basically had only one lineup change their entire span. That's amazing.

Even though Ron came back, it's still at least two lineup changes, depending on how you count.  Amazing, definitely.

From the beginning Tom was always in a "BOY" band from The Sundowners to The Epics, Mudcrutch and The Heartbreakers. That's the way he wanted it and therefore Stevie or anyone else never made it into the band. It was Tom's call and he did it right. WHY bring up women getting into The Heartbreakers now? What's next, women suing the Petty estate for him not hiring them???? Get a life, get a job and make it on your own!!

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Hindsight is not always good thing. It's only there for you to look back and not to make the same mistake again! 

I sort of agree with you in terms of what hindsight can be useful for, but I do not agree it has only one use.  From a historical standpoint it can be interesting to discuss people and events, to consider how things might have been and why they were the way they were.  But perhaps that's only for people who enjoy speculation.  It sounds like you're not that kind of person.

On 11 September 2018 at 4:43 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

For sure i'm glad she was the occasional guest and not a member. I don't think they would have stayed together for the 40 years if she had officially joined the band. I like Stevie in small doses but if her performance on Ellen is an indicator she cant swing it anymore. 

I'm inclined to agree. She performs in a very 'mumsy' style these days and her voice, although still rich In tone, is quite bland now. I really think she ought to consider getting out the 'rocking chair' not bouncing around on stage trying to exude the kind of allure that vanished when middle-age decided to put in an appearance and camp permanently on her doorstep. 

On 9/11/2018 at 5:48 AM, chimera said:

Not to mention that he wouldn't have wanted to let anyone in who asked to be let in.

But there's also the issue of no one else would have agreed to that kind of decision, whether they actually liked Stevie or not.

Of course there were honorary Heartbreakers in that era.  Phil Jones, for example.  And also Dylan, although I think Mike was mostly joking when he declared that.

Was Tom right?  Well, it was his band so I don't we're in a position to judge that.  I can understand - as I've stated above - why he didn't succumb to her campaign.  I don't think Stevie realized just how stubborn Tom was when she set about tunneling her way into their circle.  And although I don't always agree with everything that Tom did as regards the Heartbreakers, it was what it was.

yeah! basic principle in life: you can't invite yourself into something like a band  & really shouldn't try.  It'll often end in tears.  (however, she's a fan-girl so can understand her trying to get in close, right?)

Other collaborations (espec Wilburys) = more of an even balance of power & seem to have been much more fun for all involved. 

In an aside, and I'm no sociologist, but TP seems amazingly awesome at exercising soft power ... OMG you'd know exactly where you stood with him & what he'd be prepared to put up with.  George Harrison said TP had no bullshit about him ("he isn't, as they say, full of shit").  Also, he said it himself: won't back down.

This style is opposite of a leader using the stereotypical "alpha" way & many people underestimate it... at first.

Yes, I tend to agree Blue Sky. TP comes across as someone who had really great people skills. He must have if he'd kept a band together as long as he had. As for his 'won't back down' song, I think he said during his 1989 Australian interview that he never took that song too seriously and sometimes wished he'd never written it. Emotionally intelligent people, like Petty seemed to be, will certainly back down if it is the sensible and wise thing to do. Being bullheaded and pigheaded and stubborn is a weakness and failing, not a strength.But toughing it out when you know you are right and having the courage to see through a problem or sort out an injustice is a sign of strength.

See that's interesting to me because what I know of his feeling regarding "I Won't Back Down" comes, again, from the Conversations interviews:

"So when I first wrote that song, I thought, 'This might not be right, because it's so blunt.  There's not a lot of metaphor in it, there's not a lot of hiding behind anything.'  It's very blunt.  But I think that bluntness may have been what inspired people.  One of my more well-known songs.  I just have to do it in shows or people feel let down.  So I'm really happy to have written that one."