Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane0612

Where are you all from...what's your story

I would like to know you all a bit more....if you are up for that and don't want to stay anon on every level. 

1.  Where are you from (country / town )

2.  Where and when did you become Pett-ified?

3.  Any other info you care to reveal about yourself - hobbies, interests, etc.

4.  Have you ever had a 'don't back down' moment where you put up a fight at great risk to yourself?  

I'll start with me. You know I come from London England. I am a 57 years old female, unmarried, no kids. I went to the London School of Economics (University of London) and studied Government for my first degree and then went on to do Criminal Justice Policy for my masters degree.  

I have done many things in my life regarding my work, some being poorly paid, some being very well paid indeed, equivalent to six figures per annum. The highlight of my career was working as a communication manager (change management) working on various high profile projects and programmes. It was a creative line of work too that enabled me to write, take photos, arrange TV crews for filming. Now I do work freelance in the PI related work again using a lot of covert filming (bodyworn cameras) and I take stills too.

I used to play the flute years ago, but didn't progress beyond Grade 8. William Bennett is my favourite flautist althought it was James Galway's Songs for Annie that first got me interested in playing. I love all kinds of music: classical, folk, pop-rock, new age, instrumental, ballads, even some hard rock too. As long as its good lyrically and musically I'm likely to listen. Not all that keen on rock and roll (the kind of music that got Petty into music - never been a great fan of Chuck Berry, Elvis etc. I don't like the swing in rock, just straight up rock for me. I grew up listening to mainly heavy rock (my brother was well into that: Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath). There was Bowie, Elton John too, which I loved. Later I developed my own tastes more mellow and musically sophisticated: Kate Bush, Brian Ferry. 

My hobbies include writing (non fiction only, not poems and songs etc.), cooking (I can rustle up a decent Shepherds Pie), a bit of cycling (on my Brompton) and driving (I do about 20-30,000 miles a year. I drive a Peugeot. I also enjoying films (French films, particularly) and comedy (Rowan Atkinson is my favourite). I also love cartoons like King of the Hill (I discovered Petty was a character in this) and Beavis and Butthead (for my sins).

I also go to church and am a committed Christian (although I did leave the church for many years).  

Yes, I've had had two major 'Don't Back Down' moments in my life - both legal disputes, potentially costly on every level if I had lost. One where I fought my rich landlord who tried to bully me out of my flat by paying off fake witnesses to make out I had breached the terms of my contract to get me evicted, and failing miserably. Thankfully I was on a six figure income at the time and could afford the legal fees. He gave up in the end, and ended up paying me compensation, and signing an Agreement that gave me more rights over my flat. He never spoke to me again when he visited the house. And, hey, I was so glad about that.  The other was when I was a pro-se litigant in a criminal matter. I lost and got convicted at first and then went onto to Appeal as a pro-se and ended up being acquitted. My solicitor told me I hadn't a cat in hell's chance of winning. I said the same to him as what Petty said to his doctor when he told him that his powdered hand would never recover enough to play guitar again....."F**k That!

That's me, in a nutshell. 

1. I'm from the middle of fuckwhere, Canada.

2. Mid-2007. I was 14, going on 15. I was also a dumbass. I had a chance to see him live in 2012, but bad shit happened.

3. My taste in music is basically whatever holds my interest. I play video games. I make glitch art, as seen in my avatar. I also help run the Petty Archives.

4. None worth noting here.

2 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

1. I'm from the middle of fuckwhere, Canada.

2. Mid-2007. I was 14, going on 15. I was also a dumbass. I had a chance to see him live in 2012, but bad shit happened.

3. My taste in music is basically whatever holds my interest. I play video games. I make glitch art, as seen in my avatar. I also help run the Petty Archives.

4. None worth noting here.

Lol. You talk a lot more than you manage to say, I see! Hmmm.

I have a friend who lives in Toronto but never visited, despite the invite.

I've been to the States once - to New York where all the Skyscraper Billies live. I watch a lot of US TV though and by doing that I've picked up a few Americanisms, much to my 'chagrin.' I keep saying things like 'way too much', instead of 'far too much' and 'I'm done' instead of 'I've finished now.' It's really annoying. Only Americans should use Americanisms (or Canadians). Still there are enough differences in the way we speak. We are divided by a common language, after all.

1. Up north, Europe

2. 1989. In the trunk of an old Volkswagen. (Although warmed up to the idea since 1982.)

3. Frodo, Sam, Bilbo. Oh.. you said hobbies? Probably, yeah. Most of my hobbies run at 33ish or 45 rpm.

4. I chase my own shadow at times. Scares me half to death. I just won't give up.

1.  Where are you from (country / town ).

I'm American, a native of Southern California, and I've lived on the West Coast and also the Southwest for all of my life (I'm 53).  Currently I reside in the San Diego area but I grew up east of Los Angeles (about as East as you can get and still be in the county).

I first heard "American Girl" on AM radio in 1977, I think.  That year and the next were when TPATH gained a foothold in Los Angeles area radio and so it was just a process of gradual but steady appreciation for me.  You're Gonna Get It was the first album I heard in its' entirety on the radio, I believe, either in '77 or '78.  So by the time The Golden Age came along (as chronicled in the video for "Keep A Little Soul") I was ready!  But I will say that I've always considered myself more of a Heartbreakers fan than strictly a Tom Petty fan.  Despite Benmont's ironic quip in RDAD they were all heartbreaking in their own ways.

Constant consumer of culture (books, film, music), all sorts.  I love to write, and sometimes people even ask me to do it.  I love to over-analyze and obsessively research and then info-dump and discuss said obsessions in places like these. :lol:  I enjoy fandom works a great deal, it's therapeutic and a sort of continual happiness for me.  I was an academic for a time, so thus a giant nerd regarding my interests.

4.  Have you ever had a 'don't back down' moment where you put up a fight at great risk to yourself?  

I've had a few implacable moments in my time, but many of them are related to personal trauma so I don't care to discuss them on the Internet.  That's just me, though - no offense meant to those who feel like they can be more of an open book.  I wish I could be, but I haven't evolved to that plateau yet.

14 minutes ago, chimera said:

1.  Where are you from (country / town ).

I'm American, a native of Southern California, and I've lived on the West Coast and also the Southwest for all of my life (I'm 53).  Currently I reside in the San Diego area but I grew up east of Los Angeles (about as East as you can get and still be in the county).

I first heard "American Girl" on AM radio in 1977, I think.  That year and the next were when TPATH gained a foothold in Los Angeles area radio and so it was just a process of gradual but steady appreciation for me.  You're Gonna Get It was the first album I heard in its' entirety on the radio, I believe, either in '77 or '78.  So by the time The Golden Age came along (as chronicled in the video for "Keep A Little Soul") I was ready!  But I will say that I've always considered myself more of a Heartbreakers fan than strictly a Tom Petty fan.  Despite Benmont's ironic quip in RDAD they were all heartbreaking in their own ways.

Constant consumer of culture (books, film, music), all sorts.  I love to write, and sometimes people even ask me to do it.  I love to over-analyze and obsessively research and then info-dump and discuss said obsessions in places like these. :lol:  I enjoy fandom works a great deal, it's therapeutic and a sort of continual happiness for me.  I was an academic for a time, so thus a giant nerd regarding my interests.

I've had a few implacable moments in my time, but many of them are related to personal trauma so I don't care to discuss them on the Internet.  That's just me, though - no offense meant to those who feel like they can be more of an open book.  I wish I could be, but I haven't evolved to that plateau yet.

Nice to read a little more about you Chimera. I know I was a pretty open book in my first post, but I don't expect anyone else to be that divulgent if they don't care to share on-line. It is just nicer knowing a bit more about those I speak to on here instead of just knowing they're a fan of TP&THs. Just 'where from' is sufficient. Like you, I'm a writer too and have been published in print and on-line, usually on tax matters (yawn) but on other stuff too. 

On 9/9/2018 at 5:23 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

I would like to know you all a bit more....if you are up for that and don't want to stay anon on every level. 

1.  Where are you from (country / town )

I'm from Ohio (Near Cincinnati and Dayton and the Indiana border).
I became a TPATH fan after watching the RDAD documentary in '08 or something like that. 
I'm an English major at Indiana University. I watch too much tv and movies. I live on a farm with my dad and my dog. 
Aimee @nobodyinparticular and I run thepettyarchives.com and I am mostly busy doing studies and side jobs.

Hm, I'm not sure about #4. Yes, I'm quite stubborn but rational. I like things to be justified and reasoned. I don't know about "at great risk" though.    

1. South Europe.North East of the Iberian Peninsula.

2. First time I heard Tom was when the Travelling Wilburys Vol 1 came out. A beloved realtive of mine give me that vinyl as a Christmas gift. When "Into the Great Wide Open" came out, I was finally "pettified" forever.

3. Strange things. Absurd things. Curiosities. I'm still unable to write english correctly. I usually spend some time hearing Bob Dylan.

4. Probably. I did some stupid things in the past thinking I was doing the right thing, I still do it in the present and probably I'll do it in the future, but not really interesting things to talk about here. ;)