MaryJane0612

To all you Peterans out there....

Joe Hill, he was soooooo cute in Creepshow (as was his babysitter... inside joke)

Anyhow Hill’s work, like The Fireman and N0S4A2 echo King’s stories, the plots and the writing -  enjoyable because of it’s similarities. I love your breakdown of your opinions, I read since they’re not spoilers to me. I have to say you’re pretty much on the same line as I am on those subjects. I agree that his writing is unique, he perhaps took inspiration from his mother’s writing and other authors... I enjoy when Joe or Owen collaborate with King, sorry to say I haven’t picked up any of Owen’s work though.

and yes, this is still on topic, King is as timeless as Tom, published Carrie the same year Mudcrutch left for LA, think about it.

The year of success 

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Horns---disturbing and hopeful. I think this is his best work to date.

Agreed; I love that book in a very profound kind of way.  I enjoy the magical realism aspect but the emotional weight of the narrative is what really counts.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:40 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Ha ha, yes. Saying I don't like Bob Dylan is like saying I don't like Shakespeare to some foiks.

I even tried giving Dylan and the Heartbreakers a chance but didn't care for it. 

On a side note, would've been interesting to hear the Heartbreakers version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

cheers

Oh, pleeez! lol

Comparing Dylan to Shakespeare is rather like comparing fantasically good seaside fish and chips to Gourmet and fine dining. To compare Shakespeare with any kind of music you are really headed toward Mozart, not anything popular - no matter how good it is - or how influential it was on the rest of the popular landscape too. I'm not a musical snob - I love a good rock and pop tune like the rest of you - but the real geniuses of music - composition and playing talent too - really all belong in the classical realm: Bach, Mozard, Beethoven, Schubert...etc for composers and some of the finest classical musicians who would, quite frankly, make mincemeat (technique, musicality) out of anything in the pop and rock realm you might enjoy and admire. That's not to imply that rock and pop is low class rubbish with crap musicians, and that anyone with any discernment would turn up their noses at The Beatles or any of the popular greats. Far from it. The best is really very, very good indeed abd I'm the last person to stick my nose up at any great rock musician, having listened to a lot over the years with a great deal of enjoyment.

All the same, I would encourage anyone here, who doesn't currently listen to good orchestral music, to give it a whirl. Surprise yourself. Tom Petty is not the be all and end all, yer know. For me, though, TP&TH is an exciting new composer, singer and with great band musicians to learn about and listen to. But we all need to broaden our listening horizons to extend beyond the same genres - at least occasionally. 

interesting points ^^^^

For me, I respond to music at some non-verbal part of my brain, my soul - oh the feels the feels - so I can't always then translate into words how I feel.  

Sure, agree, there's a lot of music out there & some of it moves me.  Live music especially.  Standing close by as trained musicians sing opera is hair-raising -  so beautiful & loud!  Here's a shout-out to all real live musicians - whatever they're playing. 

Sometimes I  admire, say, the musicians' technique, the internal structure of the melody, but it might not necessarily jump across into my soul and make me feel.  So it can be a bit relative not subjective...

• Next question: so back to your original question for this thread - how's your exploration of the back catalog / rest of the best of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers?  Found anything good yet? Or is that still for the future?  

29 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

All the same, I would encourage anyone here, who doesn't currently listen to good orchestral music, to give it a whirl. Surprise yourself. Tom Petty is not the be all and end all, yer know. For me, though, TP&TH is an exciting new composer, singer and with great band musicians to learn about and listen to. But we all need to broaden our listening horizons to extend beyond the same genres - at least occasionally. 

I honestly don't believe that anyone in this community only limits their listening to TPATH, or even rock n'roll.  I certainly don't.  As someone who has been on this earth over 50 years now, I've tried to experience as many different kinds of music as I possibly can because it's always a source of wonder.

35 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

interesting points ^^^^

For me, I respond to music at some non-verbal part of my brain, my soul - oh the feels the feels - so I can't always then translate into words how I feel.  

Sure, agree, there's a lot of music out there & some of it moves me.  Live music especially.  Standing close by as trained musicians sing opera is hair-raising -  so beautiful & loud!  Here's a shout-out to all real live musicians - whatever they're playing. 

Sometimes I  admire, say, the musicians' technique, the internal structure of the melody, but it might not necessarily jump across into my soul and make me feel.  So it can be a bit relative not subjective...

• Next question: so back to your original question for this thread - how's your exploration of the back catalog / rest of the best of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers?  Found anything good yet? Or is that still for the future?  

I would challenge you not to be moved by Allegri's Miserere. It sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it.  Trust me when I say it doesn't sound anything like Yer So Bad.

It was written for the Catholic Church and is very 'churchy' in sound (Rennaissance tends to be as life tended to revolve around the Church in those days)  - but don't let that put you off - and it probably amounted to the first illegal download (metaphorically speaking) when Mozart decided to pinch it, amend it and take it outside of the arena it was confined to originally - strictly for use in Sistine Chapel

Have a listen to the Clare College Cambridge Choir singing it.  Here is the link. Some prefer the Tallis Scholars version.

Hey, I was 20th in queue from 4am in Cambridge England winter for choir performance 15 hours later in the evening.  Dark & cold & damp fog.

Still interested in what else you've been listening to from back catalog.

I lent Full Moon Fever to a mate late week & it doesn't look like I'm getting it back anytime soon.  He smiled and said "still listening to the music." So I've lent him Wildflowers too...

Just now, Big Blue Sky said:

Hey, I was 20th in queue from 4am in Cambridge England winter for choir performance 15 hours later in the evening.  Dark & cold & damp fog.

Still interested in what else you've been listening to from back catalog.

I lent Full Moon Fever to a mate late week & it doesn't look like I'm getting it back anytime soon.  He smiled and said "still listening to the music." So I've lent him Wildflowers too...

I wouldn't count on getting either one back for a very long time. I have answered your query in my previous answer - as an add on to what I wrote originally. This weekend, I will be able to add my thoughts...

This is a lot to digest, and comparing Shakespeare to Dylan is odd, for one, he may not have even existed. 

I've been advised not to go off on a tandem, because that's a lot of reading for y'all. 

Why do we have to choose sides really? 

Neil Young - Loved him with Stills. 

Bob Dylan - it ain't about the voice, and him and Petty compliment one another's voices. 

Roy Orbison - I absolutely am a great fan always have been and will be, but his voice is like Gefilte fish, it's an acquired taste. You either like these vocalists or you don't. 

Elvis vs. Roy - no, don't believe they're comparable actually... I won't go there. 

I just wanted to say that one thing - otherwise my opinions might be too strong for this discussion. 

Oh gosh MaryJane0612,  I'm sure you know I don't mean to pry, just being encouraging...Nonetheless, you might like to know I've now carefully scrolled through all the comments in this thread ... but just can't see your previous answer / response to TP's music.   Maybe it's hiding in full view.

Haha about getting CDs back.  

Just now, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh gosh MaryJane0612,  I'm sure you know I don't mean to pry, just being encouraging...Nonetheless, you might like to know I've now carefully scrolled through all the comments in this thread ... but just can't see your previous answer / response to TP's music.   Maybe it's hiding in full view.

Haha about getting CDs back.  

Here it is again: 

As for the second part of your query. I have taken some of your suggestions on board about how to begin my TP&HB journey and bought DTT to start with. (I bought FM The Best of Peter Green too). Both have sat on my desk unlistened to - as yet. I did transfer them to my phone but they didnt'work in my car. So I have yet to hear either one as i have been inundated with work. I will do so this weekend. Can't wait to hear both of them.  I just want to sit down and listen properly not have one ear trained on the traffic.

Just now, MuddyandMagnolia said:

This is a lot to digest, and comparing Shakespeare to Dylan is odd, for one, he may not have even existed. 

I've been advised not to go off on a tandem, because that's a lot of reading for y'all. 

Why do we have to choose sides really? 

Neil Young - Loved him with Stills. 

Bob Dylan - it ain't about the voice, and him and Petty compliment one another's voices. 

Roy Orbison - I absolutely am a great fan always have been and will be, but his voice is like Gefilte fish, it's an acquired taste. You either like these vocalists or you don't. 

Elvis vs. Roy - no, don't believe they're comparable actually... I won't go there. 

I just wanted to say that one thing - otherwise my opinions might be too strong for this discussion. 

Ha, ha...it seems like your phone does what mine does : posts everything several times. You need to get rid of three of your responses :)

44 minutes ago, chimera said:

I honestly don't believe that anyone in this community only limits their listening to TPATH, or even rock n'roll.  I certainly don't.  As someone who has been on this earth over 50 years now, I've tried to experience as many different kinds of music as I possibly can because it's always a source of wonder.

I think that is great Chimera. I know some people outside who won't broaden their horizons that much. One friend of mine only listens to classical, others only listen to pop. In the UK people do tend to associate classical with being strictly for the middle class and very uppity and high brow, and so they are not interested in it - believing it somehow betrays their working class origins. In reality it is as accessible as any other music and is enjoyed by all kinds of people. What I love about these music forums is how much you can learn about other types of music you might otherwise leave unexplored. You never know, I might blow the cobwebs off my Dylan album and give it another go.

15 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Nyet comrade. I meant people react that way to me not liking Dylan. It's like I'm treading willy-nilly across sacred texts, foundational as it were for rock music.

I'm really not into deifying musicians  - even ones as great as TPetty, BobD etc.. They are just doing a job, like the rest of us.  They walk a stage and strum a guitar, albeit it rather well, they don't walk on water, cast out demons, or turn water into wine :)