MaryJane0612

To all you Peterans out there....

9 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.  

Not to mention how boring it would be if no one understood Bob??

I mean, seriously, right? He is for our whole pop/rock culture what oxygene is for water. Essential. I mean, you don't have to be a fan of oxygene, but you are gonna n-e-e-d it to be able to live and breath. 

Or... I mean... you wouldn't take God out of the Bible? As for diciples, Neil is one of the best, surely.

I missed out on this discussion, or is it ongoing? I listened to Tom Petty as it came out, so I never thought of the discography like a book series (I've heard from some people you can read King's Dark Tower series out of order, but I prefer not to) 

Although to be honest I didn't hear Mudcrutch music much in my early years, and my favourite album right now is 'You're Gonna Get it!' as those songs stick with me the most. (and the title ...) 

Just wanted to put in my two cents.  

32 minutes ago, MuddyandMagnolia said:

I missed out on this discussion, or is it ongoing? I listened to Tom Petty as it came out, so I never thought of the discography like a book series (I've heard from some people you can read King's Dark Tower series out of order, but I prefer not to) 

Don't you blaspheme! The only question is when you read the short stories or Wind Through the Keyhole. You can not read the Dark Tower out of order!!!!

.The Gunslinger is seriously one of my all time favorite books and I've been a tower junkie since the eighties... 😎

11 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Don't you blaspheme! The only question is when you read the short stories or Wind Through the Keyhole. You can not read the Dark Tower out of order!!!!

.The Gunslinger is seriously one of my all time favorite books and I've been a tower junkie since the eighties... 😎

Right on! I love finding other King readers. I got into the Dark Tower after reading the unabridged version of 'The Stand' many many many years ago (read the 1000+ pages in two days) I think it was the eighties haha so not that 'many' manys. 

See, I agree, I don't like anything out of order, so how can one not start with the eponymous album of Tom's? 

I have the entire Dark Tower series (and many 70s King paperbacks) if I go to a bookstore that's all I pick up (and one of the greatest films of All Time aside from John Carpenter's The Thing is Romero's Creepshow!) 

Don't get me started on King I guess because that's off-topic now

1 hour ago, MuddyandMagnolia said:

(I've heard from some people you can read King's Dark Tower series out of order, but I prefer not to) 

Wow, I can't picture reading the series that way. Though to be fair, I did start reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman with the second volume first and then the first and then the rest of them in order.

cheers

Don't get me started on King I guess because that's off-topic now

SPOILERS FOR IT movie & book:

I was disappointed with It the movie as I think they didn't focus on the friendship of the children enough, Bill was too much of a wimp and they cut the psychedelic elements which are amazing. They also went all in on Pennywise and making "float" some kind of catchphrase. Not good. I think an adaptation that switched from the 1950s to the 80s would work just fine, and would be something unique to see in a film.

END SPOILERS

I guess while we all wait for MaryJane0612 to share her impressions this topic may wander all over...!

22 hours ago, MuddyandMagnolia said:

Right on! I love finding other King readers. I got into the Dark Tower after reading the unabridged version of 'The Stand' many many many years ago (read the 1000+ pages in two days) I think it was the eighties haha so not that 'many' manys. 

Likely the '90s because the uncut version of The Stand was published in 1990.  But even when the book was 800+ pages...that was the first King novel I read (in 1982, I believe) and to carry around that hardback doorstopper for a week in the summer, it was rough.  Worth it, but weighty. :lol:

On September 26, 2018 at 1:52 PM, MuddyandMagnolia said:

I listened to Tom Petty as it came out, so I never thought of the discography

I started with Full Moon Fever and jumped all over the place. I doubt I would've gone on if I'd started with the first album, while it has some good songs it probably would've been too much filler for me. At the same time, FMF set a standard that his other albums never quite matched, up until Hypnotic Eye as full complete experiences.

cheers

2 hours ago, chimera said:

the uncut version of The Stand was published in 1990.

One complaint, I think he should've just left everything in the 70s as it was originally written. I liked some of the extended version but thought other parts were too long; but that seems to be the case with King. When he's firing on all cylinders it doesn't matter how long a novel is but when he's not, it's long and dull and pointless. Needful Things could've been a novella, that book hits the same points over and over and over and over. 

Same with The Tommyknockers, a hateful slog that would've been a tight three hundred pages. The Stand deserves to be as long as it is but those two were examples of stories dragged on with pointless detail. Same with Insomnia.

cheers

33 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

One complaint, I think he should've just left everything in the 70s as it was originally written. I liked some of the extended version but thought other parts were too long; but that seems to be the case with King. When he's firing on all cylinders it doesn't matter how long a novel is but when he's not, it's long and dull and pointless. Needful Things could've been a novella, that book hits the same points over and over and over and over. 

Same with The Tommyknockers, a hateful slog that would've been a tight three hundred pages. The Stand deserves to be as long as it is but those two were examples of stories dragged on with pointless detail. Same with Insomnia.

cheers

I couldn’t agree more, really there was a reason those pages didn’t make the cut. I found Insomnia was just a weak entry to introduce The Gunslinger. I am ‘that person’ who has read all of King’s work - and want to know has anyone here read Danse Macabre?

Yes I have; I've read most of SK's work although I admit I haven't kept up with everything in the last decade.  But for me Danse Macabre was a way to discover even more wonderful books to read.  SK was the one who introduced me to Robert Aickman, and his spiritual heir Peter Straub, for example.

want to know has anyone here read Danse Macabre?

Yes, I liked it. Based on that I read the HOUSE NEXT DOOR I think it was called and it was an effective scary novel.

I recently read Revival which felt like it should've been a novella and the Outsider which was pointless and anticlimatic. I still think he's a good writer, I just dislike some of the choices he's made and some of the length of the books. I'm also tired of the protagonist that has a drinking problem. While it may be therapeutic for him, it's the same ole, same ole. 

And there was no point to a sequel to the Shining in my opinion. I took a peek at it and put it back on the library shelf. I don't like the idea of Danny Torrance having a drinking problem.

ciao

6 hours ago, chimera said:

Likely the '90s because the uncut version of The Stand was published in 1990.  But even when the book was 800+ pages...that was the first King novel I read (in 1982, I believe) and to carry around that hardback doorstopper for a week in the summer, it was rough.  Worth it, but weighty. :lol:

You read it in 82? You’re right it had to be the 90s for me, in fact now that you mention it, The Simpsons were on as well as the X-files.

Not only did I pick up Straub’s books, but I read Burnt Offerings (if you read or watch the film starring Ollie Reed you will see the influence it had on the Shining)

Two things on The Shining, first, Joe Turkel (Lloyd the bartender) is a close friend of mine through being pen pals. Two, my sister and I agree about the sequel, unnecessary and poorly made choices, no way would Danny be an alcoholic.

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I started with Full Moon Fever and jumped all over the place. I doubt I would've gone on if I'd started with the first album, while it has some good songs it probably would've been too much filler for me. At the same time, FMF set a standard that his other albums never quite matched, up until Hypnotic Eye as full complete experiences.

cheers

Y’know I’m one odd cookie, I adore songs from the first album and don’t even consider Rockin around with you to be filler

Y’know I’m one odd cookie, I adore songs from the first album and don’t even consider Rockin around with you to be filler

Actually around these parts I think I'm more the odd cookie; I figure most people here really like the first album, heck...most of the albums. If I had to guess, I'd say Mojo or Let Me Up would be considered the weaker ones on here. Just a guess.

cheers

Let me up = definitely weaker

Full Moon Fever - would make sense as a great first album, especially if you’re part of my generation. It’s a great set of songs there... and I say if a song of Tom’s catches you, check out the album, 99% of the time you can’t go wrong.

You ever read any of Joe Hill’s books by the way?

sequels, usually are a bad idea, books, movies etc. 😋

11 minutes ago, MuddyandMagnolia said:

You ever read any of Joe Hill’s books by the way?

Heart Shaped Box----liked it first read; second time wasn't as into it.

Horns---disturbing and hopeful. I think this is his best work to date.

20th Century Ghosts---some good, some blah, some excellent

NOS4A2---thought it would be great but something happened as it went on.

SPOILERS FOR NOS4A2

----Something went awry for me on this one. While I understood the main character's feelings I felt she became too unlikeable. I also disliked the direction of the plot with her having a child.

----I really hated when he turned that poor guy's fiery death into a lame pun. Completely took me out of the story and made his attempt to help meaningless.

---Too much geek/nerd culture. Too many references, it felt pandering. If you're going to make the fat nerd husband mechanic so fat he has a heart attack or whatever just go ahead and kill him. I also disliked the son's name being connected to Batman. Instead of making the characters endearing, all the nerd crap grew wearying and of putting. I don't fucking care if you liked Firefly.

---The detectives. I disliked that the one male detective is a stereotypical asshole. I didn't care for the female one. In fact, I didn't know why any of this had to happen other than it filled up pages. I really really really really disliked her falling for the husband. Just terrible and didn't feel true to life at all. Sure he was a good hearted guy but thta's not enough to make this woman fall in love with him; respect him, like him, sure but a love affair? Plus it all seemed too soon after the climax of the book.

----I did like the villains, very disturbing. I thought "Christmasland" was an effective locale and wanted more there. I was hoping to see Wayne forced to take part in the craziness there while dtyring to resist it; and wanted more in that location. 

----The waste of the scrabble-woman. Neat power, neat character, wanted more of her. Also liked the dimension warping ability of the car, the idea of Inscapes etc. A nod to the Dark Tower was fine too since those are his Dad's books.

Overall I think he's a good writer. Generally, I'm turned off when I feel a writer is intentionally or unintentionally sounding or trying to sound like King. I get why it happens but I don't care for it. I don't feel this way about Joe Hill since they're related and while there is a feeling of King in his writing, it's more his own unique style and stories that shine through. While others may feel like bad King imitations, Joe Hill feels like someone who inherited the King's mantle, to a degree which makes sense.

It was a fast book but dragged as well at some points. I just recall going from being excited to read it to disappointment and wanting it to be over and not really caring what happened next.

cheers