MaryJane0612

To all you Peterans out there....

As veteran fans, can you help me out, here. Now i've heard the Anthology, I've got a pretty good idea of what TP&TH and his solo efforts constituted his most well known work. Now I am ready to sample some of his other music.

Which album would you recommend I start with? Or doesn't it matter what album I buy first. But maybe there is. If someone was asking me this question of Kate Bush's music (an artist of extraordinary talent), I would not recommend The Dreaming (who some diehard fans consider her best album). I just wonder if there is a 'The Dreaming' equivalent I should leave out before hearing some of his other works.

Over to you....:)

13 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I'd start with Damn the Torpedoes and Full Moon Fever

Yes, this in terms of the most populist of his works, I'd say.  Or: listen to the Iovine trilogy (Damn The Torpedoes, Hard Promises and Long After Dark) and also Full Moon Fever and then you can move on to whatever nook and cranny you like, having ingested what is considered the bedrock of the legacy.

50 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

If someone was asking me this question of Kate Bush's music (an artist of extraordinary talent), I would not recommend The Dreaming (who some diehard fans consider her best album).

*raises hand* :D

I've had people come to me later after I've said they should at least try The Dreaming saying, "But it's so weird!"

Just now, chimera said:

*raises hand* :D

I've had people come to me later after I've said they should at least try The Dreaming saying, "But it's so weird!"

It is weird to the untrained, untamed ear - what with the Donkey braying. But, provided you like what Kate is about, and once you've heard it a few times, it grips you like a vice and never lets go and is pretty timeless with it. There's not a dud track on there. An extraordinary, example of innovative musicianship. Far better, I believe, than her more popular and well known Hounds of Love. The only fly in the ointment - these days, that is- is that Rolf Harrison (artist) was featured on it and he is now in prison for indecent assault. Some fans refuse to listen to the album for this reason alone. I don't let it affect me.

Looks like DTT and FMF are winning the 'buy first' advice race. I must say that Wildflowers beckons too, as TP himself considered that one to be his best album. But I really don't want to get too caught up with Petty's solo stuff just yet, without becoming more familiar with the Heartbreakers too. To me, they are an essential component of why I like this band so much and their musicianship is fantastic - all contribute hugely to the band. I consider them to be as essential to Petty's profile and Petty was to theirs. So I fully appreciate that they are far from being a backing band - hired hands to prop up Petty.  As for the TW's I really have no interest in this project at all. To me it was a bit of casualised self-indulgence that magically worked its way into some time off he was having and that happened to work out well for Petty and allowed him to work with other high profile musicians he obviously admired. Unfortunately, I am not a great fan of Orbison's voice, nor have I ever liked or admired Dylan all that much and I really am not a Beatles fan and never have been. I don't think TP inclusion could turn that opinion round by being part of a collective outfit featuring all of them.  

1 hour ago, MaryJane0612 said:

An extraordinary, example of innovative musicianship. 

Completely agree - and then to consider she was only 22 years old when she began to work on it; astounding.

4 hours ago, chimera said:

Completely agree - and then to consider she was only 22 years old when she began to work on it; astounding.

Absolutely, Chimera. I really do think that Kate Bush is a musical genius. Rather like Bowie was too, I thought. There's aren't many like that about. I was very privileged to see KB in concert during her 2014 residency at Hammersmith Apollo. What a phenomenal night that was. Something I never expected to see, considering I missed out on her late 70s Tour of Life. Luckily, I was part of her fan club, so I got priority tickets before general sale, otherwise I wouldn't have stood a snowball in hells chance of getting a ticket as they had all been snapped up within a few minutes of going on general sale. Even then I had to buy a Hospitality Ticket at £400 - not the usual concert only ticket prices. A lot of wow, wow, wow unbelievable money to spend on a ticket, but I got a nice gourmet meal in the church hall opposite the theatre, and a great fantastic view seat in the Stalls. Frankly, for this one off concert - rather than skip it altogether - I would have been prepared to pay £4000 for this ticket on the assumption this was a once in a lifetime experience.  After all, you'd pay more than that for a car. It would have hurt like hell, having that amount on the old credit card to pay off, but I would have done it. Luckily I didn't have to. What a concert, what a night....The theatrics were simply stunning with great stage props including puppets, a sort of overhead helicopter raining down bits of paper over the audience,  which fans eagerly snapped up and took home, her voice in fine fettle...She didn't play any of her earlier stuff. It was all thematic and from The Ninth Wave from Hounds of Love / Sky of Honey from Ariel and some of her more recent material. Nothing from The Dreaming or her earlier hits, including Wuthering Heights. My biggest regret, for fans who never saw the concert, is that there was never a DVD/Blue-Ray of the concert only the sound-track, which was hugely disappointing for those who couldn't attend.

As for advice on where to dive in.. I'd say start from the beginning.. Then just never finish.

More presicely, give each album at least a week of exclusive focus. All of them deserve to be known individually. Then, at the end, your mind will be sufficiently blown, you will have a fair idea of the topography and how to move on in a fashion that suits you, where and when to revisit, repeat and rejoice in an endless pattern. Simplest thing, really. 

1 hour ago, MaryJane0612 said:

Absolutely, Chimera. I really do think that Kate Bush is a musical genius. Rather like Bowie was too, I thought. There's aren't many like that about. I was very privileged to see KB in concert during her 2014 residency at Hammersmith Apollo. What a phenomenal night that was. Something I never expected to see, considering I missed out on her late 70s Tour of Life. Luckily, I was part of her fan club, so I got priority tickets before general sale, otherwise I wouldn't have stood a snowball in hells chance of getting a ticket as they had all been snapped up within a few minutes of going on general sale. Even then I had to buy a Hospitality Ticket at £400 - not the usual concert only ticket prices. A lot of wow, wow, wow unbelievable money to spend on a ticket, but I got a nice gourmet meal in the church hall opposite the theatre, and a great fantastic view seat in the Stalls. Frankly, for this one off concert - rather than skip it altogether - I would have been prepared to pay £4000 for this ticket on the assumption this was a once in a lifetime experience.  After all, you'd pay more than that for a car. It would have hurt like hell, having that amount on the old credit card to pay off, but I would have done it. Luckily I didn't have to. What a concert, what a night....The theatrics were simply stunning with great stage props including puppets, a sort of overhead helicopter raining down bits of paper over the audience,  which fans eagerly snapped up and took home, her voice in fine fettle...She didn't play any of her earlier stuff. It was all thematic and from The Ninth Wave from Hounds of Love / Sky of Honey from Ariel and some of her more recent material. Nothing from The Dreaming or her earlier hits, including Wuthering Heights. My biggest regret, for fans who never saw the concert, is that there was never a DVD/Blue-Ray of the concert only the sound-track, which was hugely disappointing for those who couldn't attend.

Right; I'd been steeped in all of that even as I wasn't able to go...I know someone who has worked with Kate, so he was able to vaguely hint to me that I should be in London at a certain time for a certain something he could not speak of, and then when it was officially announced I sort of screamed at him, lol.  But unfortunately I didn't have the wherewithall to get over there, but I did follow along with all the reviews and discussions and audience videos which got out briefly (and I even spoke with Jon Carin at an event when he was in-between rehearsals for the show) and so forth and YES I was incredibly disappointed there's no concert film, but Kate will do as She will, as we know.  But I do have one of those pieces of confetti (my friend found it in his pocket after the friends & family rehearsal show) - enshrined right next to my copy of the Director's Cut deluxe edition which she signed and personally inscribed.

How wonderful for you that you were able to attend, a once-in-a-lifetime experience for certain.  I can only imagine how wondrous it must have felt to be there.

Okay, enough fangirl rambling, sorry! :)

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

As for advice on where to dive in.. I'd say start from the beginning.. Then just never finish.

More presicely, give each album at least a week of exclusive focus. All of them deserve to be known individually. Then, at the end, your mind will be sufficiently blown, you will have a fair idea of the topography and how to move on in a fashion that suits you, where and when to revisit, repeat and rejoice in an endless pattern. Simplest thing, really. 

Thanks for this advice, Shelter. Will defo do that :)

Agree - start at the beginning and enjoy the progression.  

If you want the abridged version

Start with DTT and FMF (both classics, pure TP)

Then go to;

You're Gonna Get It  (provides an introduction to the early TP&HBs and the lead into DTT)

Wildflowers (post FMF solo work that illustrates the coming of age of a true craftsman)

Enjoy !  

9 hours ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

Agree - start at the beginning and enjoy the progression.  

If you want the abridged version

Start with DTT and FMF (both classics, pure TP)

Then go to;

You're Gonna Get It  (provides an introduction to the early TP&HBs and the lead into DTT)

Wildflowers (post FMF solo work that illustrates the coming of age of a true craftsman)

Enjoy !  

A real oxymoron of a title, if ever I read one!

On 9/9/2018 at 6:26 AM, Shelter said:

I also like starting at beginning and moving through in a slow way.  Also, definitely, I'm one for hearing whole albums and concerts rather than individual songs.  

I do this when I know an artist & like their work but, hey, want to go in further.  Find it works well with holiday listening (or when I know I have lots of long-distance driving to do). 

I feel it's okay to use spotify / streaming services for this sort of experimentation & then do some investment buying if I like what I hear.  This means you can hear / watch concerts as well as albums.  In the case of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, many of their live shows are available online & I definitely recommend checking these out.  For one thing, the musicians are often just meeting the songs during their recording sessions so it's interesting hearing how the songs developed because of being played live.  For another, they play a lot of great songs live they don't cover on albums.      

Three bonuses are:

• hearing amazing things from early on 
  • hearing their "sound" evolving and changing
  • really forming an attachment to the music

The only negative I can think of -  this has been known to drive other people nearby a leeetle crazy. Them: "It's that Tom Petty again?"  Me: "Oh no! This is Mudcrutch! Subtle difference..."  Them: "Aaaaagggghhhh, I'm going out now!!!" (I now use headphones.)

Oh, and I either respond by: 

• feeling "Ok, heard enough now" and having to decide whether I can bear to complete the full set
  • or becoming addicted!!!!

As well, there are times when - for some musicians - their lives get in the way of the music.  So I also enjoy reading a book / some articles along the way so I understand a bit about what's happening in their lives during the making of an album...  In the case of Clapton his heavy drinking etc meant he (yeah, even "God" himself) just couldn't play so well and he actually needed to re-learn his guitar skills.  Which is a process I could hear, even though I don't have a musician's "ear", because I was hearing those albums back-to-back.   

On 9/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

As for the TW's I really have no interest in this project at all. To me it was a bit of casualised self-indulgence that magically worked its way into some time off he was having and that happened to work out well for Petty and allowed him to work with other high profile musicians he obviously admired. Unfortunately, I am not a great fan of Orbison's voice, nor have I ever liked or admired Dylan all that much and I really am not a Beatles fan and never have been. I don't think TP inclusion could turn that opinion round by being part of a collective outfit featuring all of them.  

...my blood runs cold ...yet admire your honesty & openness 

Actually, it was a bitterly cold day in London many years ago and my friend said "Hey while you're here alone this morning, what about listening to the whole of The Wilburys albums?  Here're the CDs and the DVD too." (She had full box-set). 

• Me:"Great, I like what I've heard so far.  Um, where's CD number 2?" 
  • Her: "You'll find out."
  • One of the best mornings ever.

PS Any chance that you don't dislike George Harrison though?  Chap who wrote Here Comes the Sun while bunking off a business meeting and hiding out in Eric Clapton's garden? Who paid for Life of Brian at last minute when film finance fell through - by personally mortgaging his house?  Dylan singing Blue Moon? Roy - lovely Roy - sold second only to Elvis for quite a stretch of years there - who doesn't adore him???

You may be the first person ever who I've met who maybe thinks these are all a bit over-rated, so, uh, how interesting to meet you.  

Prefer Neil Young to Bob Dylan who I consider to be a pretentious, overrated bore and a 'carp' singer, to boot. I don't think he's ever washed his hair either, if that's not bad enough. As far as I'm concerned hearing Dylan 'sing' is worse than someone scraping their fingernails down a blackboard. Yep, even with Petty and the Heartbreakers accompanying him, I'm needled and the damage is done..which brings me onto...

The 'big Apple' NY. At least Neil can sing properly not just talk through his songs. His guitar playing is first rate and he has a great voice and his written some fantastic sings. Ohio is fab, Cinnamon girl...the list is endless. 

On September 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

Which album would you recommend I start with? Or doesn't it matter what album I buy first.

My take on the records:

Full Moon Fever & Hypnotic Eye are the best with Damn the Torpedoes and Long After Dark just a little below but still pretty darn good.

For the rest of their career I think of them as having a really solid e.p. within each album surrounded by a bunch of filler or lesser songs.  In my opinion these "e.p.s" are quite good, filled with rocking songs, heartfelt ballads and interesting experiments. But I don't really view TPATH as an "album band' but they are more than just the singles too.

Probably going through in order to see what you like is the best approach. I hope you share your take on the records as you go along.

On September 19, 2018 at 7:10 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

Prefer Neil Young to Bob Dylan who I consider to be a pretentious, overrated bore and a 'carp' singer, to boot. I don't think he's ever washed his hair either,

I prefer Neil Young to Dylan as well but not by much. I really don't care for Dylan. I actually enjoy covers of Dylan and Young by other bands more than the originals.

On September 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM, MaryJane0612 said:

I must say that Wildflowers beckons too, as TP himself considered that one to be his best album.

For me, Wildflowers is perhaps Tom's best recorded album, definitely up there in the best three in terms of how all the instruments blend together. And while I don't care for the album or again, just find a grouping of songs within it I like, I realize why so many people do. I think it carries a certain feeling throughout the whole record, and while it touches on rock and pop, it really digs deep into challenging emotions but not with as gloomy a feel as Echo.

You get a little bit of everything in Wildflowers and a lot of midtempo grooving songs of sadness with a hint of hope. I think it was a HUGE shift for the band going forward that heavily influenced records to come for years. It could be his most popularly beloved record aside from Full Moon Fever, Damn the Torpedoes and Greatest Hits.

If you're indeed going the chronological way it should be interesting to hear what you make of it when you get there.

cheers

Ok, so I've been politely not saying (for days!) ... this Bob Dylan of whom you speak is one of my most favourite musicians in the world & a musical genius.  (Also, one cool 😎cat - including his hair.) I don't want to get into a competitive scenario though.  Just sayin, for the record.   :wub: Bob Dylan. 

Good thing about people is how we all respond differently to music.  Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.  

7 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Good thing about people is how we all respond differently to music.  Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.  

Ha ha, yes. Saying I don't like Bob Dylan is like saying I don't like Shakespeare to some foiks.

I even tried giving Dylan and the Heartbreakers a chance but didn't care for it. 

On a side note, would've been interesting to hear the Heartbreakers version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

cheers

On September 17, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

In the case of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, many of their live shows are available online & I definitely recommend checking these out.

I agree, I'm sure there's some good recommendations of shows on here but...my opinion would be to wait till you've listened to the studio stuff first. Probably best to space that out as well otherwise it could be TPATH-overkill...!