Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane0612

Hi I'm new.....

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

What a man..what a band...:)

Absolutely!

Hi there - it's funny, I don't think I've ever met anybody who at least didn't at least know who TP was, even if they weren't a fan.  Like, at least in the US, he had just been there for 40 years, an institution.  But you got lucky, babe, when he found you (though the cosmic highway of happenstance). :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom was a giant but a very discreet and humble giant. When he passed away last year, I told many of my friends how sad I was. I live in Europe (in Belgium) but still... a lot of them had no idea who Tom Petty was. Bowie, Prince... of course. But Tom? Not a clue.

I need better friends.

In a way, I envy you, MaryJane0612. There's a whole world out there for you to discover.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, chimera said:

Absolutely!

Hi there - it's funny, I don't think I've ever met anybody who at least didn't at least know who TP was, even if they weren't a fan.  Like, at least in the US, he had just been there for 40 years, an institution.  But you got lucky, babe, when he found you (though the cosmic highway of happenstance). :D

I would have been an even 'luckier babe' if I had known about him and seen him live before he'd died. I would have certainly have trotted along to one...or three...or twenty of his concerts. The Gainsville concert he gave for the 30th Anniversary was so very good indeed, and on the strength of seeing that show on-line I would have expected him to have honoured us Brits with equally amazing performances - as he has done, having seen more of them since where I can fully see that the band's outpourings on-stage were always of a consistently high standard no matter how many gigs they performed on tour (unlike the sometimes wobbly efforts of some bands where you never quite know what to expect).  A huge wow too goes to Mike Campbell's amazing guitar playing and with the other band members too - all virtuosos in their field - their combined efforts made for a very tight ship that was musically magical, as a result. That long solo Mike C gives in Running Down....is really very good indeed and I sure do know a good gee.tar player when I hear one. I hope to hear more from him in future...bring it on Mikey....

Btw: I have a southern accent too - I was born and brought up in Berkshire. Does that count? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gregory18 said:

Tom was a giant but a very discreet and humble giant. When he passed away last year, I told many of my friends how sad I was. I live in Europe (in Belgium) but still... a lot of them had no idea who Tom Petty was. Bowie, Prince... of course. But Tom? Not a clue.

I need better friends.

In a way, I envy you, MaryJane0612. There's a whole world out there for you to discover.

Hey Gregory, I look forward to you  and other  'veteran fans' helping me out there! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Welcome to hell. Enjoy your stay. (Don't worry, I'm just being weird.)

If you can get copies, both Petty: The Biography and Conversations with Tom Petty are good reads. I believe the latter's out-of-print but available as an eBook.

I've just ordered Zanes book a day or two ago. Look forward to hearing more about the great man and the great band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chimera said:

Absolutely!

Hi there - it's funny, I don't think I've ever met anybody who at least didn't at least know who TP was, even if they weren't a fan.  Like, at least in the US, he had just been there for 40 years, an institution.  But you got lucky, babe, when he found you (though the cosmic highway of happenstance). :D

I'm wondering if it is possible to know about TP&TH's and not be a fan, as long as you like rock music per se. Travelling Wilburies perhaps, as this was a unique project and the mix of vocal styles might not have appealed to everyone. BTW I hadn't heard of them either until after I had heard of TP&TH's (the magic date was 17th July 2018), although I was familiar with who Orbison, Dylan and Harrison(of course) was, and I had heard of ELO too from the 70s (although not the name Jeff Lynne). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I'm wondering if it is possible to know about TP&TH's and not be a fan, as long as you like rock music per se. 

Oh sure, I know plenty of people who know of the band and/or Tom but they're just not into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm relatively new here too. As someone said some posts above, I'm from Europe (Spain) and here Tom's music it's not very popular. I began listening to Tom between Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open. The first LP that came in into my home with Tom inside, Tom was not Tom. He was Charlie T Jr. And since then until now, the days went by like paper in the wind. I miss Tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Interesting. Must add, since I'm "relatively old" :)and since it's been a while since last it was brought up and there seems to be many younger fans here now and many Europeans too, that in big parts of Scandinavia (Europe) Tom Petty was a major thing, with a big following. Of course this was a bit mellowed by the lack of hit singles and tours here in the last decade or two.. chicken or egg, I know... (The 2012 tour was ecstatically received, but it was the first and only time in 20 years TPATH toured here). But still, they were big and sold well. In the 88-92 era, I would even say they were huge. Then of course.. it's an old love affair.. Scandinavia was the second market they toured over here (after UK) and the second market they broke commercially in general (again, after UK, with US actually just coming in third at really discovering them.) Somewhat simplified you may say that until the 1979 release of DTT, TPATH's main markets were UK, Sweden and parts of West Germany. May seem strange today, when all is said and done and the TP legacy carries such deep California vibes and is truly such genuinely American treasure. But of course.. musically they always were and that's also why so many of us love them! Just saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelter said:

^ Interesting. Must add, since I'm "relatively old" :)and since it's been a while since last it was brought up and there seems to be many younger fans here now and many Europeans too, that in big parts of Scandinavia (Europe) Tom Petty was a major thing, with a big following. Of course this was a bit mellowed by the lack of hit singles and tours here in the last decade or two.. chicken or egg, I know... (The 2012 tour was ecstatically received, but it was the first and only time in 20 years TPATH toured here). But still, they were big and sold well. In the 88-92 era, I would even say they were huge. Then of course.. it's an old love affair.. Scandinavia was the second market they toured over here (after UK) and the second market they broke commercially in general (again, after UK, with US actually just coming in third at really discovering them.) Somewhat simplified you may say that until the 1979 release of DTT, TPATH's main markets were UK, Sweden and parts of West Germany. May seem strange today, when all is said and done and the TP legacy carries such deep California vibes and is truly such genuinely American treasure. But of course.. musically they always were and that's also why so many of us love them! Just saying. 

In Spain in the 90's all the new singles were played at least 1 or 2 weeks in the commercial radio stations, but no sales, no more broadcast.  In 1993 Mary Jane had a little bit of popularity, but only a little bit. The last single I heard on the radio was "Walls". Since then, he disappeared from the commercial radio stations forever. Echo, The Last DJ and so on never existed in Spain, obviously it was possible to purchase these  records on music stores (but not in every music store!) Tom was like an strange thing. I don't know why. "Too much american" some people say (?). Well, Bruce Springsteen solds out his shows in a few hours in Spain... and Tom was like an unknown guy here because he was "so much american"?. No. To be honest, I don't know the real reason. I'm talking about the radio because the radio was the "biggest machine" to show music to the people at those times. Now we have internet, etcetera, but internet has not helped Tom in Spain.

Nowadays from time to time you can hear Free Fallin or Mary Jane in the radio formulas of "old hits"  from the 80's and 90's. But only this two tracks.

A few years ago, it was in 2013, the organizers of the "Azkena Rock Festival" (the best rock festival in Spain I guess)  they said they were in conversations with Tom's management, but they were unable to pay the bill, etcetera, but I don't believe any word, I guess they said so because they were ashamed because they were stupid to let Tom scape in 2012. Probably Tom coudn't sell enough tickets for an spanish tour, but a one date only in a rock festival, yes, it had been possible. I always had the hope that someday they finally will be able to pay Tom's bill. But now, well, the game is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mr Timba said:

Bruce Springsteen solds out his shows in a few hours... and Tom was like an unknown guy here because....

..there was no shows to sell out? Right, and that was part of my point. Given perhaps different levels of popularity to begin with, their no-show in Europe in the mid 90s (when they were BIG) and the 00s (when they still had a considerably passionate and big fan base), obviously didn't help their over all "fame" over here. In the same era, other artists figured that live shows and swag was a must to keep in the game, comercially, since singles (and records sales in general, radio impact and so on) was dwindling. And TPATH then, quite rightfully, calculated they could keep busy and well paid enough to stay on the US circuit all those years. The home market was big enough, so to speak, and as such it was growing even bigger (comparatively) for each tour... a self fulfilling profecy, that way. 

But even in this light, even without much radio play, around here TPAH stayed quite popular, kept selling records in numbers and so on. A comparative stronghold. (I also lived many years in CA, and frankly TPATH wasn't THAT much more "known" there.. haha.. oh, well.) Not that the 2012 tour was that key to keeping things this way, but I still feel sorry for you guys in Spain who missed the fun in 2012. As I am even more sorry for the Aussies, who never got a TPATH show since Bob took the guys with him there some 32 years ago - A life time, or even more, in rock'n'roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, there was no shows to sell out. Never. They never had a show in Spain. I remember that Tom did an online chat with european fans just before the 2012 tour.  An anger spanish fan  asked him "Why you  don't make a show in spain?" (I guess that fan was blaming Tom!). Tom said: "Because nobody has booked me".  Plain and simple. That's the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right; if no one wants to book you in a place, you've not going to be touring that place.  That's the reality of touring.  But also, if you stand to spend more in cartage to travel to a particular place to tour then you will actually make from the gate and merch sales?  Then you probably won't be touring there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×