Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

Essential listening outside of Heartbreakers albums?

So I'm in the midst of reading Conversations with Tom Petty.  I've long loved the Heartbreakers with Johnny Cash and was wondering what other essential albums that heavily feature the Heartbreakers you folks might recommend?  Obviously Mudcrutch and the Wilburies are a given. ;) 

Well you've got what I like to refer to as Don Henley and the Heartbreakers - Building The Perfect Beast:lol:

But my favorite is actually the Williams' Brothers album Two Stories - it's primarily Mike but Stan and Benmont also play on it.  Otherwise I would say that Del's album is the most representative of them playing as themselves on another project.  And then you've got Mystery Girl although that's more like an intersection between Tom and Mike and Jeff Lynne with Heartbreakers cameos.

"Emotionally Yours" could have been the song where Dylan finally stole the band, lol, except Stan doesn't play on it.

And then you've got this song, which is near enough to "Aretha Franklin with Eurythmics and the Heartbreakers" to make it a really cool thing.

Does anyone know if there will be a reprint of the book Conversations with Petty?  I'd love to buy it...I'm not into Kindle, but the hard cover book on 

Amazon is selling for $300.....I'm hoping it will be available for a reasonable price as a hard cover book....Petty wouldn't approve of his book selling

for $300

Suggest ...this Roy Orbison album because of TP's role in studio & you can hear his voice in harmonies

Image result for roy orbison mystery girl album

Suggest this track by Joni Mitchell 1986 It has TP's vocal which sings some verses solo & also harmonizes with Joni's across most of the rest of the track.  The other voice is Billy Idol's.  Also because this clip is so cheerful & I think we can always have more good vibes (& kittens) in this life 

48 minutes ago, twisterseal said:

Does anyone know if there will be a reprint of the book Conversations with Petty?  I'd love to buy it...I'm not into Kindle

if you get lucky with this & there are any spares will let me know?  :)

1 hour ago, twisterseal said:

Does anyone know if there will be a reprint of the book Conversations with Petty?

Supposedly there will be an updated/expanded edition coming out either this year or next, so I read.

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Suggest this track by Joni Mitchell 1986 It has TP's vocal which sings some verses solo & also harmonizes with Joni's across most of the rest of the track.  The other voice is Billy Idol'.

I was just listening to Chalkmark the other day, and I can remember when I first bought it (in college).  I also love Wendy & Lisa's harmonies on "The Tea Leaf Prophecy."

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Thanks guys! Will definitely do some shopping!  

That's the spirit!!

So, okay, this track might not necessarily be essential listening for the Heartbreakers sound (ie the whole point of your question;))... But it has merit for being a) very early footage,  b) Tom Petty on bass and c) no offense to the others* but Tom's the coolest thing about this.  Is it 1976 because Tom's wearing a Heartbreakers' t-shirt - yet he's not out on the road touring as he would've been in 1977?  (Could just look up dates on google, I s'pose). 

*Did Shelter not realize that even though Dwight Twilley maybe an eye-catching name, using it for a two-person band creates a dynamic in which the other one is essentially ignored?  (Shakes head in sorrow and disbelief)

19 hours ago, chimera said:

Supposedly there will be an updated/expanded edition coming out either this year or next, so I read.

I was just listening to Chalkmark the other day, and I can remember when I first bought it (in college).  I also love Wendy & Lisa's harmonies on "The Tea Leaf Prophecy."

OMG i am going to be buying that!!  Possibly 2 copies (keeping one as the "good" copy).  Unless it turns out to be a much rumoured thing like Wildflowers 2 or equivalent of Chinese Democracy album heehee...

Ah, happy memories!  Unlike you, I came to Chalkmark by a more round-about way - saw a 1-line mention and tracked it down.   :)

I just bought some (more) Heartbreakers music but couldn't go into the shop myself.  
  • I wrote in my order: "I could say these are for a friend but actually they're spares for me"
  • Reply from shop: Well, Tom Petty rules so I understand 😊

• 3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Thanks guys! Will definitely do some shopping! 

On 8/29/2018 at 5:05 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

So I'm in the midst of reading Conversations with Tom Petty.  I've long loved the Heartbreakers with Johnny Cash and was wondering what other essential albums that heavily feature the Heartbreakers you folks might recommend?  Obviously Mudcrutch and the Wilburies are a given. ;) 

This could become a place for discussing their work as studio session musicians...  How would you feel about that, oh Hoodoo Man?

cheers!  

10 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

This could become a place for discussing their work as studio session musicians...  How would you feel about that, oh Hoodoo Man?

cheers!  

I love that idea. It was somewhat my thinking as there are likely lots of hidden gems not as obvious as the Cash album where you can literally hear Tom and the boys singing along.  I've owned Mystery Girls for years but haven't listened to it in a while and End of the Innocence was one of my favorite albums when it was released but I don't think I knew about Mike and the guys working on it.  Its my dream to hear Tom sing Boys of Summer in some format even though Don owns that song as much as Tom owns American Girl....  

I was really surprised to read last night Tom could sing in 4 octaves while the average singer only has a range of two or so.  I would highly recommend the kindle version of "Conversations" until you can get a copy of the updated book. I've read the Zanes book a few times and this one is every bit as good as that.  For some silly reason I thought Conversations was a collection of interviews from magazines and not just the author sitting down with Tom. I have to wonder if the Audio book is simply the two of them talking if such a copy exists. I don't listen to audio books but I would make an exception here... :) 

An audiobook version was never released to my knowledge but that might be something that is going to happen?  Even if it was an abridged version that would really be cool.

But Building The Perfect Beast is the album I consider more Heartbreakers than The End of the Innocence because you have Mike, Stan and Benmont contributing to the writing and performing.  I liked that Don continued the tradition on Inside Job with Mike writing the music for the title track, Benmont playing on the album, and of course Stan co-writing several songs.

Looks like we are both right as the Heartbreakers were on a lot of both,  but to be honest I was thinking of building the perfect beast when typing, although I do like End better... :)

from wikipedia below:

"The Boys of Summer" (Don Henley, Mike Campbell) 4:45
2. "You Can't Make Love" (Henley, Danny Kortchmar) 3:34
3. "Man with a Mission" (Henley, Kortchmar, J. D. Souther) 2:43
4. "You're Not Drinking Enough" (Kortchmar) 4:40
5. "Not Enough Love in the World" (Henley, Kortchmar, Benmont Tench) 3:54
6. "Building the Perfect Beast" (Henley, Kortchmar) 4:59
7. "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" (Kortchmar) 4:28
8. "A Month of Sundays" (Henley) 4:30
9. "Sunset Grill" (Henley, Kortchmar, Tench) 6:22
10. "Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed" (Henley, Kortchmar, Stan Lynch) 3:41

"Land of the Living" (Henley, Kortchmar)

• Mike Campbell – synthesizer, additional guitars, percussion (track 1)
1. "The End of the Innocence" (Henley, Bruce Hornsby) 5:16
2. "How Bad Do You Want It?" (Henley, Danny Kortchmar, Stan Lynch) 3:47
3. "I Will Not Go Quietly" (Henley, Kortchmar) 5:43
4. "The Last Worthless Evening" (John Corey, Henley, Lynch) 6:03
5. "New York Minute" (Henley, Kortchmar, Jai Winding) 6:37
6. "Shangri-La" (Henley, Steve Jordan, Kortchmar) 4:55
7. "Little Tin God" (Henley, Kortchmar, J.D. Souther) 4:42
8. "Gimme What You Got" (Corey, Henley, Lynch) 6:10
9. "If Dirt Were Dollars" (Henley, Kortchmar, Souther) 4:34
10. "The Heart of the Matter" (Mike Campbell, Henley, Souther) 5:24

21 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

*Did Shelter not realize that even though Dwight Twilley maybe an eye-catching name, using it for a two-person band creates a dynamic in which the other one is essentially ignored?

Well.. I DID realize that! But sadly there was nothing I could do for the poor... oh.. you meant.. ah! OK.

Other than that, I would like to add to this thread - even if it may be a bit beside the point - that most all of the VA artist tribute albums where TPATH contributed songs, are well worth checking out. If just for those TPATH songs. Some of those studio covers are among their finest recordings! Especially fine are the tributes to Sun records, Fats Domino and Chuck Berry... but there's more...