Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Question of the day 8/10/18

It would definitely be in 1973, the summer I turned 15, and Mom took my younger brother and I on our first ever real vacation - a flight to San Francisco (my first time on a plane), a game at Candlestick Park (against my favorite team the Big Red Machine, but sadly Willie Mays was no longer a Giant by that time), all of the tourist things in SF (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, cable car ride, Lombard Street), then another flight to L.A. and my first time at Disneyland. 

Our "rich" Uncle (Mom's brother) lived in San Francisco, and I suspect he helped pay for everything, otherwise I have no idea how Mom pulled this off. I had worked a part-time job that summer and had some cash.  There is a picture of me holding a fistful of 20's just prior to this trip. $300 in my pocket, as I recall. Best vacation ever.

I always remember as far back as I can (maybe 2 years old) the old homestead of my grandparents and all the parties we had in that huge 4 story house. My grandparents on both sides each had 11 children! And each of those had anywhere from 2 to 6 kids and we practically all lived in the same house (my Fathers side of the family). Grandmother cooked everyday for everyone, so supper was a huge get together every night. After that, the banquet dinner tables turned into gaming tables with Bingo, Roulette and Card games for all, even us kids. When it was time for bed, the kids were instructed to go upstairs to their bedrooms and go to sleep, while the adults cleared the basement of the tables and put on old 78 RPM records and danced the night away. I used to sneak down and listen to the music til i was caught and sent back upstairs. I'm pretty sure that's where my love of music started, and continues til today.

I don't remember my childhood very well. Most of my memories are secondhand ones.

One of the more amusing ones that I can recall, though, is when I was eight or nine, an older kid living in my apartment building, who was something twice my size, stole my magnifying glass to try to set the lawn on fire or something dumb like that. I don't know how he expected to do that because it was a plastic dollar-store thing. I just stole it back. 

When I was 10 or 11, I also talked my mother into buying a box of cereal that I didn't even really like. I just wanted the CD that was inside. Roller Coaster Tycoon is a good game.

^ That's funny about the cereal. I did the same thing when I was a kid. They used to have 3D baseball cards in cereal, and I'd beg Mom to buy those.  Also, for a while you could get a record from the cereal box itself, I think. Seems like you cut them out of the box?  Anyway, it would actually play on my crappy little lunchbox record player.  For some reason, I'm thinking there were some of The Monkees?  Now I have to go down that rabbit hole and look for those....

I have no idea. Maybe, just the feeling of being at my grandma's house laying in the shag carpet, watching the dust dance in sun beams as they come through the window, hearing people in the distance, and smelling my grandma's cooking. Just a sort of sensation rather than a memory. One of those "everything is alright in the world" things. Dreamville.