Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

You And I Will Meet Again...one of their best songs What do you think?

You and I will Meet Again is one of Tom's best compositions ever.

From the first notes, one wouldn’t instantly think the song is going to go in the direction it does, starting gently, Tom’s lyrics painting an evocative picture building towards one of his best lines “A black winged hawk is circling…”

There’s so much to this wonderful song in less than four minutes! 

And that outro, wow! Jubilant, as if the hope contained in the song is about to be realized and we keep building towards it…we don’t reach it but we will. We don’t have to hear the realization, after all, that’s not what this song is about, it’s about hope. And there’s a lot going on from the guitars coming in and out, to Benmont’s playing, a cohesive blend of instruments all building, all rising to something amazing.

This is an EPIC song contained within less than four minutes, a mix of wistfulness, hope and rising bombast at the end. One of his best songs.

What do you think of it? Perhaps, in my not-so-humble opinion, their best underrated, deep cut.

It's a lovely song, absolutely, and I'd say it's the underrated song of that particular album.  And I love Tom and Howie's harmonies on the refrain and the bridge.  It does have a really great ride-out, all those textures and it goes kind of crazy in the fade.  I know they tended to end albums with a gentler song (hence what they did pick) but I think "You and I" should have been the final track, it's just so fitting that way.  I think I've made it that way in mix discs (since I only like about half the album anyway).

47 minutes ago, chimera said:

but I think "You and I" should have been the final track, it's just so fitting that way.  I think I've made it that way in mix discs (since I only like about half the album anyway).

That's a really good idea! Never thought of that. I like Built To Last, think it's a good song (heck one could view it as the sequel to You and I) but ending with You And I Will Meet Again is a really good suggestion. What a fitting song to close out a record...!

14 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Red-winged.. vs Black-top...

Whoops! Nice catch. You can tell how much I love the song by how accurately I quote it..!

14 minutes ago, Shelter said:

But, yeah. Couldn't agree more. One of the top 5 most underrated

I think it could easily be one of TPATH's best songs. As much of a gem as Waiting For Tonight is, just a perfect pop song with perfect background singers, this is one of the more ambitious and like I said, epic songs contained in less than four minutes. And it sounds effortless!

There's a lot going on, both musically and lyrically, the song isn't fast, isn't quite slow, but it's more than the heavy groove songs of the bands later days; the wistful, hopeful lyrics perfectly matched by the band with that great outro and Benmont banging at the piano.

Since it made American Treasure I wonder if it will get its due by the larger pop culture. Learning To Fly was the big hit, ITGWO a lesser one, Makin' Some Noise was a fun racket but this tune is on a whole other level, not just in comparison to the rest of this record but their entire discography. While the odds seem long of the band having another hit at this point in time, I can't rule it out and aside from tracks we haven't heard yet, maybe the song will get its recognition on a wider scale at last.

Thing is, even if it doesn't, they'll still be people who connect with it, on the box set or on their well spun ITGWO records, sharing in the longing of the song and the realization of the hope contained in lyric and music.

cheers

17 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

You can tell how much I love the song by how accurately I quote it..!

Haha!

18 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think it could easily be one of TPATH's best songs.

Certainly! I meant one of the most underrated l, all categories, not only TP. Masterpiece of a song!

I have always loved this song. It is one of the songs I most hoped they would perform live. I think this could have gone over very well at one of the Beacon or Fonda shows in 2013.

Well, not much to argue with you here. 😄

It's a great song and a great recording. Everything I love best about ITGWO is right here. Hope seems to be the theme, exactly... hope and freedom, maybe. Ambivalent freedom, though.

Do I remember correctly from Conversations? The red-winged hawk line came from actually seeing one in his backyard? It's also one of my favorite Petty verses. Amazing how much he could say with so little words.

A red-winged hawk is circling

The blacktop stretches out for days

How could I get so close to you

And still feel so far away?

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, nobodyinparticular said:

I'm mostly wondering if he's referring to a red-tailed hawk or a red-shouldered hawk.

He probably didn't know himself, that's why he called it a red-winged hawk... ;)

Just kidding. If anybody figures that one out one day, there will be absolutely nothing left to find out about Tom's life.

O.K., more geeky facts... I was puzzled by the fact that the hawks you mentioned are called buzzards in German (Bussarde; Rotschulterbussard and Rotschwanzbussard) so I just had to look that up. Here we go.

Hawks are a group of medium-sized diurnal birds of prey of the family Accipitridae. Hawks are widely distributed and vary greatly in size.

• The subfamily Accipitrinae includes goshawks, sparrowhawks, sharp-shinned hawks and others. This subfamily are mainly woodland birds with long tails and high visual acuity. They hunt by dashing suddenly from a concealed perch.[1]
  • In the Americas, members of the Buteo group are also called hawks; this group are called buzzards in other parts of the world. Generally, buteos have broad wings and sturdy builds. They are relatively larger-winged, shorter-tailed and fly further distances in open areas than accipiters. Buteos descend or pounce on their prey rather than hunting in a fast horizontal pursuit.

The terms accipitrine hawk and buteonine hawk are used to distinguish between the types in regions where hawk applies to both. The term "true hawk" is sometimes used for the accipitrine hawks in regions where buzzard is preferred for the buteonine hawks. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk)

looking out along the highway stretching out across the flat plains to the horizon with the big open sky above & a bird of prey lazily circling on the thermals. PS this is "red-tailed hawk" from Audubon - but heck he was dragged out with his dad on shooting days in Florida.  Who knows what Florida folks called birds species?   If the bird's wings look red, it's likely someone somewhere calls it red-wing ... ;) How much do you reckon they they care what officials elsewhere want to name it? 

Beautiful bird & beautiful image in beautiful song

image.png.5cb5f64c9be05904af1e181fc44d0a5b.png

4 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

If the bird's wings look red, it's likely someone somewhere calls it red-wing ... ;) How much do you reckon they they care what officials elsewhere want to name it? 

True.

And it only gets all the more confusing because 1) Tom might have learned the name of the bird in Florida, but sings "about" one he saw in his California garden and 2) I looked up the names of the birds in German only to find they are called "hawks" in English which usually translates to "Falken", but these particular types are "Bussarde". I had to straighten that one out on top of it all in my head, more or less unrelated to the song. :lol:

4 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Beautiful bird & beautiful image in beautiful song

image.png.5cb5f64c9be05904af1e181fc44d0a5b.png

THAT'S the bottom line here. :)

:) In Conversations:

Zollo: You wrote "You and I Will Meet Again" alone, which is a song about faith.  And it has some beautiful imagery: "A red-wing hawk is circling / The blacktop stretches out for days..."

Petty: "Yeah. In Encino we lived on this wooded hill.  There were a lot of big oak trees.  To be in the middle of LA, it was kind of a rural setting.  You'd see these hawks all the time.  I'd actually watch them dive, and come back up.  And I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the reference to the hawks came from.  You find yourself drawing on things that you never would have expected.  Like a simple thing like watching a hawk circle.  Later on it enters your mind, and you use it as a metaphor.

That's a lot of the fun of writing songs, or being a writer at all, is that you've got the luxury of grabbing anything around you.  It's all floating around and your job is to get as much of it in your net as you can.  So when someone says, 'I'm blocked up and I can't write,' the truth is that if you take a deep breath and look around, there's probably something really close that you could write about.  It's just having the confidence, sometimes, to go after it."

17 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

:) In Conversations:

It's definitely one of their most beautiful songs, the sentiment, the music, it's both tender yet with an energy moving through it, the outro alone dances into a bit of psychedelia, the lyrics so simple yet so open and welcoming; the entire song seems to match the imagery of the album's cover. It's strange to think they never performed this one live, not even at a residency.

I don't recall whom but someone on here said they either made their own mix and put this as the last song on the record or thought it would make a good last song. While I'm so used to ITGWO as is, it's a good idea. I like Built To Last but I could easily see them switching it and this song so the conclusion of the record is this wistful hopeful tune. In a way, the opposite of the album's title song.

cheers