Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Old & new interviews with Tom & the Heartbreakers

53 minutes ago, MaryJane0612 said:

Is that instant coffee?

It's not instant, it's ground and put in a filter. Which is different from their instant coffee. I don't care for the latter.

I don't know, Tom might have brewed a really good cup of coffee, perhaps were we to have tried we'd agree with Zanes but then, maybe not as everyone's taste is different.

A side note, I thought Zanes insight into Tom's feelings on coffee were interesting; it wasn't my first take on it, looking back towards the past but more just the appreciation of a good cup of coffee, savoring the refills, etc. and a full cup versus the more intense but short lived pleasure of an espresso.

cheers

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Back to coffee. I like how the chef leveled it off. I usually tear open a bag and just free form pour some into the filter. Perhaps next time I will carefully measure it out and see if I note a difference. Black. No sugar!

Ah...see I measure it out almost scientifically, heh.  With a special scooper.

1 hour ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I know a good cup when I taste it. 

Me too; I wouldn't say a snob that way, but I know the difference between gourmet-calibre coffee and just plain old coffee.

Just now, chimera said:

Ah...see I measure it out almost scientifically, heh.  With a special scooper.

Caffeine....caffeine fallin'

all the vampires walkin' through the valley/searchin' for a good cup of java/drinking maxwell house in the shadows/from a Bunn Electric/even'd out with a knife and I'm..

Caffeine...caffeine fallin'

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

C'mon Stevie, give the guy a break!

[...]

I hope playing with Fleetwood Mac helps him in his grief and is good for him. From my perspective I think a Dirty Knobs tour would've been the way to go. Different sets every night, jamming, playing in smaller clubs but with an audience there to see you and rock out. Just think how happy Marion and others on here would be for something like this. And an official album.

Exactly.  But, it's a song she knows how to sing and so I get why she wants to do it.  And she's the boss!

I agree with you that I would have preferred if Mike had gone ahead with TDK instead.  I tend to think the reason he said "yes" to FM is rather a complicated one, and so I respect whatever impulse led him to it.

omg - this part of the Zanes article (my underline) - I would've thought the job of a biographer would've be a) to maintain trust and b) not to annoy the source. 

To me this reads like WZ is saying:  well hey I wrote about what he told me just like he said I should & then the way TP's friends & family's reacted caused strain for TP.  So some of that strain then came from TP towards me & cooled off our previously warm relationship.   I'm just the guy who wrote the book, y'know?

Huh?  I need more caffeine (in whatever form) before that's gonna make any kind of sense to me... 

• The second half of the book, ... got some divided responses among Petty’s family members, some contention, some trouble. I think Petty found himself at the center of it, and in a way that proved uncomfortable. But my job, from the beginning, had been to tell the man’s story based on interviews, primarily those with him. And that’s what I’d done. But that going public part of the process changed things, brought some strain. If it hadn’t, I believe that the absence of strain would have been the sign that I’d failed in writing the book Petty wanted me to write. In some ways, I’d been ready for this. But I thought we’d have a few years to process it all, to move past it. He’d invited me to be a guest DJ on his radio show. There were signs of thawing. But then he was gone.

20 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

To me this reads like WZ is saying:  well hey I wrote about what he told me just like he said I should & then the way TP's friends & family's reacted caused strain for TP.  So some of that strain then came from TP towards me & cooled off our previously warm relationship.   I'm just the guy who wrote the book, y'know?

Huh?  I need more caffeine (in whatever form) before that's gonna make any kind of sense to me...

My take on it was Tom gave him more or less carte blanche for the book but because of that, some things got included that upset some of Tom's camp. Even if Tom wanted Zanes to write his own book, dealing with the fall out isn't pleasant, maybe Tom had second thoughts, maybe not but it makes sense to me. As for Zanes, my impression is that if he wanted the book to be something worthwhile it would have to dig into unpleasant stories.

That per his interpretation Tom was thawing was simply that enough time had gone by to recognize the book not as mean spirited or gossipy but just his attempt at sharing the truth as best he could, of what had happened within the band.

BUT...THIS IS JUST ZANES INTERPRETATION. It's possible Tom wasn't being cool with him but was just busy!  Or maybe he felt he'd spent enough time and needed space from the author, which makes sense too. 

Anyway, I like some of Zanes book but more preferred Zollo since he covered more of the actual songs. I did like the coffee story though and would've enjoyed more of that sort of a book. Perhaps what was edited out would've been more to my liking overall.

That's my take on it.

cheers

On 10/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I sipped some good dark black coffee while reading this. My parents drunk Maxwell House when I was growing up. 

I wonder if there's something to having the actual machine hooked up to the pipes that makes it different, maybe then just making it in a regular coffeemaker. I've had instant Maxwell House which is pretty terrible but I don't know if I ever had the brewed kind, at least not in a restaurant.

I have had some good coffee at random restaurants, where I was shocked how good it was; should've asked the brew, ha ha maybe next time I will.

Thanks for sharing this! I recall reading this I think in the Zollo book first but it's a shorter anecdote, interesting to read the longer version and how Tom had those coffee makers installed, connected to the pipes etc.

My favourite filter coffee is Blue Mountain. Illy coffee for Italian based coffee, also tastes good. I hate the coffee they serve at Starbucks (the US chain that has infested our shores in blighty and now can be seen on every street corner). Grossly overpriced and over-rated. It always tastes burnt. 

Didn't know Maxwell House did ground/filter coffee. They don't here in blighty, as far as I'm aware. Like Nescafe, MH are associated with the cheaper 'instant' coffee end of the market where you stick a spoon of powder or granules in  a cup and pour boiling water on it. Ugh!

5 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I hate the coffee they serve at Starbucks

Starbucks is terrible. A friend told me I think it's terrible because I drink my coffee black whereas most drink some disgusting sweetened whipped cream chocolate sauce crap or pumpkin flavor. I guess her point was their black coffee is awful but most don't have it that way. I only drink it during circumstances where there is no other choice.

Awful coffee and all over the place too.

5 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

in  a cup and pour boiling water on it. Ugh!

Ha ha ha! I make instant coffee and pour a ton of it in to give it punch and ju...punch and flavor.

Whenever I have the good stuff I doubly appreciate it! I once had a five dollar cup of black coffee from a local place and it was delicious! Pricey but worth it.

cheers

On October 2, 2018 at 4:42 PM, chimera said:

:lol:

I have had, on occasion, a damn good cup of coffee in the most unlikely of circumstances.

On October 2, 2018 at 4:39 PM, chimera said:

but I know the difference between gourmet-calibre coffee and just plain old coffee

On October 2, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

I may be switching to Maxwell House...  :)

https://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15649-do-you-drink-coffee/&tab=comments#comment-308621

On 10/9/2018 at 9:53 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

Not sure this link will work but here is the facebook live video with Benmont answering questions today.

Nice, thanks for sharing! As always.. Ben is the man!

And, somewhat more surprisingly! 30 years after I first tracked down an online community - through winding roads of nameless forums and crummy looking chat rooms, the Vox Lounge, the official bbs, the HCC and this pretty place - in search of an answer as to why TPATH never toured Europe no more, here comes the answer, just like that: It was Elvis' fault! Elvis, goddamit! Of all the more or less insane explanations I was fed by people back then, in all those twilight years, before I had to move to CA myself for my TP fix, Elvis was never mentioned! No one ever thought of the King! Maybe because to most of us, maybe Elvis was King, but Petty ruled?   

14 hours ago, Shelter said:

30 years after I first tracked down an online community - through winding roads of nameless forums and crummy looking chat rooms

Fun fact: IRC (Internet Relay Chat) was first created in 1988, although it wasn't standardized (RFC 1459) until May 1993. (Sorry. I like posting fun facts.)

😁 I see where you're going with that.. 30 years ago was 1988.. And I obviously meant 20 years ago.. or to be exact 22.. 1996 it was, when I started haunting TP fans online.. Not that it matter much, but a guy with my math skills was not aware of ICR in 1988, let alone taking part in it.. Thanks for putting that straight.