Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Old & new interviews with Tom & the Heartbreakers

The idea is that this can be a thread where we attach links to interviews that we stumble across. Perhaps for this thread we could more-or-less focus on interviews with the actual guys, rather than interviews about them? Audio, footage and/or written? 

So maybe it could focus on the inner core - Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron Blair, Stan Lynch, Howie Epstein, Steve Ferrone, Scott Thurston.  And members of their long-term support team? And families? Let your heart be your guide... 

I know there's a real wealth of interviews in Petty Archives, so maybe we need to be aware of not doubling up.  We love the Petty Archives & want to support them! But on other hand, some of these interviews are just, wow, gold, and it'd be a shame to let them slip away into the depths.  

thanks!

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

I know there's a real wealth of interviews in Petty Archives, so maybe we need to be aware of not doubling up.  We love the Petty Archives & want to support them! But on other hand, some of these interviews are just, wow, gold, and it'd be a shame to let them slip away into the depths.  

For what it matters, near all the interviews on the site (both standalone and those from magazines/newspapers) can be found on this page.

^I wonder whatever happened to that double live album "Live 77-83", mentioned? I forgot about that comment... Would be cool if it actually have been "sitting on the shelf" for all these years. Unless the material on that album was already rediscovered and plowed down into the Live Anthology project and released already, at least a digital release would be great... 

15 hours ago, Shelter said:

^I wonder whatever happened to that double live album "Live 77-83", mentioned?

i wonder too if they sometimes were considering releasing other compilations, like Pack Up The Plantation, over the years.  But maybe didn't want live tracks to be devalued as "just" tour souvenirs...  ?? Who knows - they seem such a mysterious band to me at times :wub:

hey twisterseal, ;)dunno about what Petty was thinking, but I know I'm thinking jeez what a staid square prurient stolid interviewer, has he heard rumors of this idea called "fun" & is cautiously checking it out? I have great-aunts & uncles who are less disapproving, so it's not really an issue of age versus the new generation. Also does the interviewer realize it's 1983? Gary Lumpkin's approach might possibly have been ok in 1953, but after 30 years of music?  

Many thanks to Shelter for this below - it's sort of an interview - a meta-interview?? Tom Petty's cameo in the film FM as the singer Tom Petty being interviewed in an FM radio studio.  

•  

On 8/8/2018 at 5:14 AM, Shelter said:

^I wonder whatever happened to that double live album "Live 77-83", mentioned? I forgot about that comment... Would be cool if it actually have been "sitting on the shelf" for all these years. Unless the material on that album was already rediscovered and plowed down into the Live Anthology project and released already, at least a digital release would be great... 

You're totally right! During the 6-10-83 Irvine Meadows show I posted awhile back on this forum, you can hear Tom say, before they cover "I Can't Dance," that they're recording the entire show. The fact that this show and the one the night after were performed in their own cluster a few months after the Long After Dark tour ended, as well as the fact that they both have really great versatile set lists, serve as indicators of the fact that these shows were intended to be recorded and released at some point, most likely on the shelved live album Tom discusses in the 1985 interview above.

Thankfully, some of the performances from these two nights have surfaced in an official capacity. The performance of "Rockin' Around With You" from the 6-10 show made onto Pack Up the Plantation. Three of the songs from the second night at Irvine Meadows (6-11) made it onto The Live Anthology, which is great since a bootleg of this show has never surfaced: "Refugee" (disk 1 track 14), "Surrender" (disk 3 track 7), and "Any Way You Want It" (disk 3 track 10).

A 40 minute interview with Tom Petty in October 1986 by Joe Smith.   It's stored in the Library of Congress (which is a big deal for librarians & archivists)

• Retired music executive Joe Smith got more than 200 celebrated singers, musicians and industry icons to talk about their lives, music, experiences and contemporaries.
  • In 2012 Smith donated this treasure trove of unedited sound recordings to the nation's library.

As well as this interview with Tom, there are interviews with 84 other people too- Joan Baez, Bo Diddley, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Graham Nash  ... so there's possibly something for everyone!

This recording is protected by copyright laws in the United States. The Library of Congress has obtained permission from the donor to offer it as streamed audio.

• Q: What does that mean for us? :huh:
  • A: Google search for   https://www.loc.gov/item/jsmith000236    to go to the exactly right part of the website of the Library of Congress where you can listen to it. Or google "library of congress tom petty"

In my universe, anyway, it's not a direct hyperlink - although it looks like one! 

:DHappy weekend listening (or for another time) (or you've already heard it).  PS I also enjoyed listening to Graham Nash's thoughts.

New article about the press premiere of the box set with quotes from Ben and Mike.  What's interesting to me is Mike says he had already dropped out of school by the time he and Randall had met Tom.  But also that Tom's story about the night they met was purposely an evolving tall tale on the last tour.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/tom-petty-heartbreakers-boxed-set-american-treasure-stories-1202916971/

• Oh how hilarious!! Now that's a good find chimera!!! In case anyone's too busy to look -here's a little part. 

“The night Tom and I met,” Campbell said, “I was living on a farm out at the edge of Gainesville and I had short hair and had dropped out of college and was hiding out from the Vietnam draft.” Campbell saw a country-rock group familiar to him from campus appearances, Mudcrutch, advertising for a drummer and encouraged his roommate, Randall Marsh, to apply. He sat in a back room during the tryout, only to have Marsh come in and inform him the band’s guitarist had just quit, and would he sit in? “I said, sure. I had a $60 Japanese guitar that my dad sent me from Okinawa. And I walked in with my short hair and cutoff jeans and they looked at me and said, ‘Oh, God, not this.’” And then they mutually decided to play “Johnny B. Goode,” and “about a minute into it, they looked at me and their whole faces changed — and they got to the end and he said ‘You’re in our band.’”

That brings the story to 2017, when the Heartbreakers are on their heartbreakingly final outing, with Petty in a perennially mischievous mood. Said Tench, “On this last tour, Tom would tell that story and every night he would change how much Mike’s guitar was worth. There was a pool among the crew and some members of the band, and my wife was in on it too. We would all try to guess what the number was gonna be, because it would change so drastically. One night it was $1.25.” Petty didn’t stop there with the running gag: “It got down to negative 13 dollars.”

Here's a radio interview (16 minutes or so) with Tom Petty - he's promoting Hypnotic Eye, an album that I understand many of you love.  

August 4, 2014

https://www.npr.org/2014/08/04/336608432/tom-petty-on-stage-fright-cheap-speakers-and-george-harrison

...If you go to npr.org they also have transcript of this interview.  PS there's not really much about George Harrison!

Above: This "Myth vs Craft" interview with Mike Campbell runs for almost an hour.  He's just on audio, no visuals (except the one photo).  This is one of my favorites (one of many).

Below: You know how they say never work with animals or children? Well, see how Mike Campbell handles this bloodhound wandering around in front of the camera.  About 5 minutes.   Also props for the suit & hat & guitar & well, everything really!