Sign in to follow this  
Adamr

AUTOGRAPH authentication

It's hard to say, I have their autograph's and mine look a bit different. But, I'm not an expert and people's writing changes over time. My suggestion is go to a Dirty Knobs show and show this to Mike Campbell and see if he remembers them signing this. IF he does, ask him to write a note that this is real and sign it. That would be your proof. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Yeah Tom's signature really varies as far as I've seen, so it could be, but it's hard to know for sure.   Ron's signature certainly looks like it could be authentic and so if they supposedly all signed it at the same time then I would say there's your answer.

The hard part is having signed proof that it's real IF you plan on selling it. Other than that, it's just a $1 used CD in a second hand music shop! I'd really try to get some signed proof from 1 of the Heartbreakers. It could be rare!! Oh, BTW, having your picture with the artist and item is also very important in verifying the item as real.

2 hours ago, chimera said:

Yeah Tom's signature really varies as far as I've seen, so it could be, but it's hard to know for sure.   Ron's signature certainly looks like it could be authentic and so if they supposedly all signed it at the same time then I would say there's your answer.

It does vary quite a bit, but there's two things that really stand out to me about Tom's signature that I'm really not sure about. 
I've never seen his Y curve into a loop and he almost always has emphasis on an upstroke (like the Ts in Petty). 

Is that an MC for Mike Campbell (doesn't he usually sign something that looks like his full name?) or is it an MT? And why is it on there twice? 

Not sure what the one at top is. A C or a G with an i and a T and then something else? 

----- 

I personally don't see the point in buying something autographed. The fun of it is getting the autograph, and even then, I'd rather just have a moment to say Thanks and shake their hand or get a picture rather than an autograph. 
With younger people these days, the cell phone picture is the new autograph. Autographs, other than maybe book signings, seem to be going the way of the dodo bird. I have two autographs. Leon Russell's on a T Shirt (no proof because it was sent into his RV with him) and Benmont Tench's on a CD cover insert for You Should Be So Lucky because I was one of the first 50 to buy the CD on tompetty.com. Again, no proof that it's his real signature because it was just mailed to me. 
It's more about the personal value than the intrinsic value, unless it's Babe Ruth's baseball. It's all about the value we give it as a society. I, personally, have never been interested in paying extra to buy something because it's signed.    

Those could be other people signatures as well I am not sure. I'm assuming it was for charity and if so then that could be any person from the 46 bands. I just saw it and assumed it was tom petty because of Ron blairs signature. I've found some that appear to be similar but I'm still on the fence on if it's real or not. 

IMG_6597.PNG

IMG_6595.PNG

I agree with you on this, Nurktwin. Have lived through some down-sizing experiences for older generations people moving house.  Part of fun of having things is developing a succession plan, whether that's for things of monetary value or just one quirky thing only one other person in world would like. Like knowing your pet has a guardian they can live with and be appreciated, if your circumstances change (even if only for short term stay while you're on holiday). 

Though, technically, can maybe can try to take some things, if you are Egyptian pharaoh. 

Saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow where man inherited piece of art from his father which turned out to be valuable.  Having no children of his own, he organised a legal arrangement with museum whereby he owns it but they borrow it sometimes and will own it after he passes on.  

5 hours ago, nurktwin said:

^  I understand. I just look at every aspect of owning memorabilia. I don't plan on selling my collection, but you never know. I can't take it with me, and I certainly don't want these things selling for $1 apiece at a garage sale when I'm gone!!!!!!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:27 PM, jawallac said:

No clue about the signatures, but the marathon was real

Funny! I'm no expert, certainly, and am not too much into the signings thing in general, but that silvery record there, I would say is the one looking the least as any other of Tom's autographs I've ever had or seen... If I was told one was fake, I'd guess that one. (Or possibly the Mojo one, although I've seen others similarily "sloppy"). But I guess these things happens over time, and depend on situation. I have no idea. They could all be fake, or all authentic, to me.. Interesting!