Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Question of the day 7/20/18

We've had a lot of the Beatles, so I'll try to mix it up. 

The Hollies

Dave Clark Five

The Who

Bob Dylan 

Alternatively, 

The Animals

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Ray Charles

The Yardbirds

On 7/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, Shelter said:

The Yardbirds!!

I have an old record the size of a 45 (but it has two tracks on each side and runs on 33.3); my dad thinks it probably came in a cereal box. Anyway, one of the tracks is the Yardbirds doing "My Girl Sloopy" and it's the version I was always used to (rather than the McCoys). 

I have a bunch of 45s that I found in my grandma's attic. I guess when my aunt (dad's older sister) was a kid, she won a Top 60 radio giveaway or something. There was a lot of Paul Revere and the Raiders, Herman's Hermits, some Beatles, Hollies, Beach Boys, etc. Good find for me. I don't have a decent turntable/speakers anymore though.   

On 7/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, Liberty said:

The Animals

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Ray Charles

The Yardbirds

It's probably corny of me to quote myself, but this could be a great bluesy rock show. 
Throw in a Janis Joplin impersonator during the break. ;) 
That would be pretty sweet. I saw "A Night with Janis Joplin" in Cleveland (that went on to Broadway). It was really good. 

"Hang On Sloopy" (not "My Girl Sloopy") was originally done by the McCoys, although the Yardbirds did a cover of it on an EP.

Extended plays are generally four tracks long and were usually the same size as a single.  I've never heard of records in cereal boxes, though.

They were records on the side of the cereal boxes - embedded in the box & were around all through 1960s -1970s.  (Not vinyls / acetate.) These were cardboard with a thin cover of plastic. You'd either pop it out along perforated edges or cut around the circle along the thick line. Brilliant reimagining of what an A4 size cereal box could be. Given they were mass market, from what I know, most of the music is also mass appeal: The Monkees, in 1970s Jackson 5.