Sign in to follow this  
chimera

1982 footage (great quality)

I imagine this pro-shot show (whichever one it is) is already out there but these videos which were uploaded by the Tom Petty VEVO a few weeks ago have really great resolution/sound, like they were transferred directly from either the master reel or a first-generation copy.  There are a few glitches even so.  I feel like i'm time-traveling back to when I first saw them, heh.

These are just in the order in which I found them and I think I found all of them, but if not please feel free to add the others!

That's what I thought too because they're wearing the same outfits, but I have seen video of their set at the US Festival and it was a shorter set.  So, I believe these videos are from a full performance on that same tour.   There are songs they didn't play at the US Festival.  But yeah, I know all about it - I actually grew up not that far from the venue where they held both events and the second US Festival was held on the weekend I graduated from high school.

Hmm okay, that definitely could be then.  I mean I did my due diligence too, trust me, lol (because I'm a giant nerd).  Because that's exactly what I thought when I first saw these particular videos - that it was from the US Festival - and I also thought they put out the songs that haven't been previously shared.

The footage I've seen previously looks complete though, you know?  Like they did play a shorter festival-type set.  And that's certainly what's been reported.  

Either way I'm so happy to see a really great quality version of this footage.  

Okay so yes, McCool also verifies this footage is from the US Festival (and I apologize for ever doubting you, Aimee) and there is a playlist for your viewing pleasure, people!  In honor of Howie I'll have this on repeat throughout the weekend.

This is such a great find!  Thanks to Chimera for posting, and Nobodyinparticular for alerting me to this.  I've always enjoyed the US Festival concert footage,  A One Story Town through Even the Losers.  But this is amazing to have these other songs, played at the same show (who knew?) and in such great video and audio quality.  

There is one more song from the concert which I think was missed (A Thing About You):

A Thing About You

Hopefully that link worked.  If not, perhaps someone else can post it.

I also have studied the likely order of the setlist played at that show, based on several factors including other concerts played that year, and the (reverse) order on the Vevo post.   I'm sure of the first 3 songs (Mike wears a white jacket in only these 3), and the last 2 before the well-known footage.  Reason being, TP gets a glass of water at the end of Louie, Louie, and is still holding it at the start of You Got Lucky.  Also, before You Got Lucky, TP says the band will play 2 songs from the new album, which much be You Got Lucky followed by A One Story Town.  So here's my best educated guess on the setlist order:

American GIrl

Listen To Her Heart

A Thing About You

Here Comes My Girl

The Waiting

I Need To Know

I'm In Love

Don't Do Me Like That

Louie, Louie

You Got Lucky

A One Story Town

A Woman in Love

King’s Road

Breakdown

Refugee

Shout

So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star

Even the Losers

I appreciate your empirical reasoning! 👍

The post with the playlist video is the one to go to, it does have "A Thing About You" in it.

And I love your username too, I cracked up (in a good way).

Thanks Chimera, and glad you liked the screen name.  My name is Andrew and I sometimes go by Drew, in fact I posted as Drew on a Tom Petty website quite a few years ago, hosted by a woman in Germany who went by the name of "Bates".  It was a popular website for all, some longtime TPATH fans might remember it.  After that one closed I went by the name "Mystery Man" on the official TPATH website, until they started charging for membership.  I do like this name since it references a TPATH song, and I figured the fans here would get it, as you did. 

I greatly enjoy this website, which my friend "NobodyInParticular" has directed me to at times.  I especially enjoyed a recent discussion about Stan Lynch, the reasons he was fired/left the band, and his role in the band.  I'm a big TPATH fan and I'm especially a fan of the songs and concerts with Stan drumming and singing on them.  In fact, this US Festival (or "Us" as it might be called) was one of the last tours where Stan was the main backing vocalist.  At this point, Howie was focused on playing bass (and he does a great job, fits in amazingly well considering how new he was to the band at this point), rather than being asked to both play bass and sing backing vocals, as he did a little later in the band's history.      

1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'm a big TPATH fan and I'm especially a fan of the songs and concerts with Stan drumming and singing on them.  In fact, this US Festival (or "Us" as it might be called) was one of the last tours where Stan was the main backing vocalist.  At this point, Howie was focused on playing bass (and he does a great job, fits in amazingly well considering how new he was to the band at this point), rather than being asked to both play bass and sing backing vocals, as he did a little later in the band's history.      

You are my people. :D

It was at the US Festival where Howie got sassy, wasn't it?  His second gig with the band, lol.

:wub: You Got Lucky... as a new song.... particularly fine example of Tom in multiple roles: on-stage band-leader helping co-ordinate & finesse the timing of it for them all as musicians; singing; guitar; and involving the crowd. 

On July 14, 2018 at 5:44 PM, chimera said:

I imagine this pro-shot show (whichever one it is) is already out there

Thanks for posting these.

15 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

You Got Lucky... as a new song

That's the best version of You Got Lucky I've ever heard. I love the ending. That could've gone on for another three minutes. It actually could've been the foundation of a new song, too. A shame they quit playing it that way in the future but at least they did it now; I like the extra percussion by Phil Jones as well.

I figure they changed the ending because it fit the moodier aspect of the song better, which makes sense if true, but this over-the-top percussion/keyboard riff was great!

cheers