All in all, I'm really excited about this! How couldn't I be?

But (and I'm sure you sensed that coming) it depends on how exactly the set is organized - and if it includes "All The Rest" in its originally intended form. If it doesn't, I won't be THAT excited anymore; and I'll hope they will release that later this year. Otherwise I'll get really angry.

But, hey, 60 unreleased songs/tracks/versions - I'm not a bootleg collector, so I'm really looking forward to the release!

4 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

All in all, I'm really excited about this! How couldn't I be?

4 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

But, hey, 60 unreleased songs/tracks/versions - I'm not a bootleg collector, so I'm really looking forward to the release!

:D ok to take these seriously right??

As for me, I'm so excited too - I gave arranged to be wide awake in middle of night ( my time-zone) just so I can see what happens when countdown ticks to 00:00:00:00. So I'm not poster child for moderation;)

2 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Whoever is responsible for not putting out All The Rest, in case it doesn't get put out.

Please don't take statements from me like that too seriously.

"All the Rest" will be released. There's already been multiple reports that the project is done and ready to go. I think this is a timing issue.

It makes sense that the first release since Tom's passing is a career-spanning release, rather than limited to one album. (And trust me, I want 'All the Rest' as much as you.). I personally think we'll see it in 2019, since it's a nice clean 25th anniversary of Wildflowers (1994) and makes a lot of marketing sense in that way.

One thing everyone is forgetting about releasing LP's is that when CD's came into style, the old vinyl machines were tossed out or destroyed. Today, there aren't to many vinyl making machines left and it takes a long time to get a vinyl record made these days because of that shortage. You basically have to pick a number and wait in line to get your LP printed. Vinyl is making a comeback, but it's going to take time, that's why the CD's are released at least a month before the vinyls. Progress in this case shot itself in the foot. Progress is not always the answer!

As excited as I am about this new box set, it is also a major disappointment in that they only included one original outtake from the "Wildflowers" sessions. Back in 2015, Tom previewed the incredible "Wildflowers" outtake "Somewhere Under Heaven" in conjunction with the announcement that a deluxe edition of the "Wildflowers" album would soon be released. Then the project died. Then in 2017, just before Petty's death, the project picked up steam again:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-petty-considering-wildflowers-tour-in-2017-86493/

"Wildflowers" was meant to be a double album, and Petty loved the extra songs. But the record label forced him to pare it down. As the Rolling Stone article above indicates, the four outtakes that were shoved to the "She's The One" soundtrack were horribly mixed and were not how Tom wanted them to be presented to fans. The new box set not only doesn't feature "Somewhere Under Heaven," it also doesn't even include "Girl On LSD," the original b-side to the "You Don't Know How It Feels" single.

The optimist in me wants to feel that Tom's record company still has a deluxe edition reissue of "Wildflowers" in their back pocket, but being that it basically went from "it's coming out" to "it's not coming out," I have my doubts. I really, really, really want to hear the album in the way Tom intended it to be heard. He was considering a "Wildflowers" tour where he played not only the whole original album, but all of the leftover songs.

Does anyone know what the heck is going with all of the "Wildflowers" outtakes? Why weren't they put on this box set when Tom thought of the songs so highly? Will there ever be a deluxe edition version of "Wildflowers"?? Thanks. "Wildflowers" is not only my favorite Petty album by a good distance, it is my favorite rock album of the past 30 years.

1 hour ago, crackfox said:

2019 will be the 25th anniversary of Wildflowers.  It's not rocket science ;)

We'll see crackfox.........the expanded album (or just a single disc version of the "Wildflowers" outtakes) was already supposed to come out and the record company dumped it. It may depend on how well this box set sells.

It's hard to imagine that it's been that long since "Wildflowers" was released. The one thing I will say is that when the Petty team puts out box sets and documentaries, they get it right. "Runnin' Down A Dream" is still the best rock documentary on a band I have seen besides "The Beatles Anthology." A true documentary is when the filmmakers don't skip over an album. Even the bad ones.

1 hour ago, greenbook said:

Does anyone know what the heck is going with all of the "Wildflowers" outtakes? Why weren't they put on this box set when Tom thought of the songs so highly? Will there ever be a deluxe edition version of "Wildflowers"?? Thanks. "Wildflowers" is not only my favorite Petty album by a good distance, it is my favorite rock album of the past 30 years.

Best guess I've seen - they release "All The Rest" in 2019 on the 25th anniversary of Wildflowers.  Sounds reasonable to me.  If they're didn't intend to follow through with that, I think we would have seen a lot more Wildflowers on this upcoming set here.

10 hours ago, greenbook said:

As excited as I am about this new box set, it is also a major disappointment in that they only included one original outtake from the "Wildflowers" sessions. Back in 2015, Tom previewed the incredible "Wildflowers" outtake "Somewhere Under Heaven" in conjunction with the announcement that a deluxe edition of the "Wildflowers" album would soon be released. Then the project died. Then in 2017, just before Petty's death, the project picked up steam again:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-petty-considering-wildflowers-tour-in-2017-86493/

"Wildflowers" was meant to be a double album, and Petty loved the extra songs. But the record label forced him to pare it down. As the Rolling Stone article above indicates, the four outtakes that were shoved to the "She's The One" soundtrack were horribly mixed and were not how Tom wanted them to be presented to fans. The new box set not only doesn't feature "Somewhere Under Heaven," it also doesn't even include "Girl On LSD," the original b-side to the "You Don't Know How It Feels" single.

The optimist in me wants to feel that Tom's record company still has a deluxe edition reissue of "Wildflowers" in their back pocket, but being that it basically went from "it's coming out" to "it's not coming out," I have my doubts. I really, really, really want to hear the album in the way Tom intended it to be heard. He was considering a "Wildflowers" tour where he played not only the whole original album, but all of the leftover songs.

Unless someone already said so, welcome to the Farm! The succulent green pastures for anything Tom Petty.

Then. Not to pick your post all apart.. but to adress some of your thoughs in as gentle way as I can, I like to say that:

- The Wildflowers set was mentioned already in 2013, at least. 

- Wouldn't say it died after 2015, exactly. It has been mentioned and hinted at, from official and not so official sources, a few times in those five or six years, since first rumored to be in the works.

- There is really no proof that the tentatively called "Wildflowers - All The Rest" will play the way "Tom intended it to be heard" back in the early 90s. There actually never been mentioned how they plan to release the stuff. We know about the material that exisists (most of it at least) from our unofficial sources and our private collections, we know about outtake song titles, some of the album tracks being recorded in alternate versions and we know there might be a possibility there is demos or even live versions that the "team" may have considered. What their focus is, how they structured it, and how extensive the release are planned to be - various versions etc - is yet to be seen. (Personally I hope for a heavy focus on - preferably exclusively - the unreleased songs/outtakes, but I think more reasonably it will be a reissue of the original album with one or two discs of extras, but who knows. In some ways I at least hope they honor the tentative name ALL the Rest, but this may have changed over time and I guess we don't even know for sure what the release will be called, do we.)

- Considering what All American Treasure seems to be about, how it's been cured and by whom - basically considering all we know -  I think perhaps there is no wonder Girl On LSD is not on there. Obviously it has nothing to do on there.

- Generally, it's interesting that you bemoan the lack of Wildflowers songs on the new box set. Other fans have been bemoaning that there are too many, that the presence of those songs may undermine the possibilities of a forthcoming Wildflowers set. But let's not forget, the people in the TP camp seem to pride themselves of working with a certain overlap. Many are the songs that are released many times, even in the same versions. And personally, while I also think that perhaps they included one or two "alternate versions" too many on AAT - if there wasn't a Wildflowers set to follow, this set probably would have had several more of the Wildflowers outtakes, other than Lonesome Dave. So what you see as a void, may indeed be very promising. Cheer up!

- I don't think he ever said he was gonna play "all of the leftover songs" on that tour he imagined (and started to plan for, Norah Jones was supposedly contracted to ride along). But that is all history now. Very sad, indeed, that it was never to be.

- Finally, since before the 2017 tour, there has been talk about this Wildflowers set actually being done and ready. Just sitting on the shelf waiting for the aparatus of marketing and distribution - and perhaps printing? So, chanses are that it will come out, I'd say. Although I agree, it's been a silly and less than optimal process so far.

9 hours ago, crackfox said:

2019 will be the 25th anniversary of Wildflowers.  It's not rocket science ;)

I know, hu? Neither was it rocket scence when it was scheduled for launch in time for the 20th anniversary.

8 hours ago, TomFest said:

If they're didn't intend to follow through with that, I think we would have seen a lot more Wildflowers on this upcoming set here.

Exactly! Good point.

Like I said previously, people can feel any way they like.  I don't doubt anyone's fandom commitment here, in a manner of speaking.  I was listening to one of my local morning shows on the radio this morning and they were discussing the release and it wasn't entirely positive - and that was okay.  Didn't change the way I feel about it, you know?  I'm secure enough in my own mind and heart to acknowledge this is not an echo chamber (though perhaps a chamber which listens to Echo).

^ It kinda is an echo chamber at times. 😄 People post what other people already posted, passing stuff as news that was already up, repeating things, endlessly being at times happier to speak than to read what others have to say. The way places like this always work. Nevertheless, main thing is that it's all very much a good spirit and tolerant bunch here, that discussions, information and sharing all are flowing!! It's all wonderful in many ways!