Sign in to follow this  
nobodyinparticular

'Llamas hold each other tight' and other mondegreens.

For some reason, I'm continually mishearing the one line in "A Thing About You" that goes "Lovers hold each other tight." Thus brings today's subject: Mondegreens. 

What lyrics have you misheard? A few of my own:

American Girl
Misheard Lyric: Microwaves crashing on the beach.
(This one was obvious. The sheer absurdity of flaming microwave ovens crashing down like meteors made that obvious.)

You Wreck Me
Misheard Lyric: Erect me, baby!
(Another rather obvious one...)

A One Story Town
Misheard Lyric: The spaceship comes down.
(Well, it's slightly less absurd than microwave showers?)

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Misheard Lyric: You could never lick me in the eye.
(Whoa! What do you get up to in your free time?)

I'll post more later. Hand acting up.

Oh yeah: Walls from She's The One.  I am happy with both options as each tells a slightly different truth!  ;)

You got a heart so big / It could crush this town / And I can't hold out forever / Even walls fall down.

• I can hold out & will do for a very long time because I love & admire you.  Yet I also know that even something as strong as a wall can fall down over time if it's ignored.  So please - at some stage - I'd really like you to respond. 

You got a heart so big / It could crush this town / And I can hold on forever / Even walls fall down.

• I'm here forever for you & I hope that now you know that, it might help you drop your walls to the world.

I remember as a kid I had no idea whatsoever what most of "American Girl" was about - and so later on to watch Heartbreakers Beach Party and LMAO at the guy who said he and his friends had tried so long to figure it out.

But here's a couple of the top of my head

"Letting You Go" - for years I thought Tom was saying "naughty" instead of "lonely" in the line "What about the lonely ones?"

"A Thing About You" - "Whispering their urgencies" instead of "Whisper in their anxious ears."

9 hours ago, chimera said:

I remember as a kid I had no idea whatsoever what most of "American Girl" was about - and so later on to watch Heartbreakers Beach Party and LMAO at the guy who said he and his friends had tried so long to figure it out.

But here's a couple of the top of my head

"Letting You Go" - for years I thought Tom was saying "naughty" instead of "lonely" in the line "What about the lonely ones?"

"A Thing About You" - "Whispering their urgencies" instead of "Whisper in their anxious ears."

... you mean to tell me he DOESN'T say "naughty"? LOL 

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh yeah: Walls from She's The One.  I am happy with both options as each tells a slightly different truth!  ;)

You got a heart so big / It could crush this town / And I can't hold out forever / Even walls fall down.

• I can hold out & will do for a very long time because I love & admire you.  Yet I also know that even something as strong as a wall can fall down over time if it's ignored.  So please - at some stage - I'd really like you to respond. 

You got a heart so big / It could crush this town / And I can hold on forever / Even walls fall down.

• I'm here forever for you & I hope that now you know that, it might help you drop your walls to the world.

I've always heard "I can't hold out forever." 
It's possible he changes it up, too. I prefer the live version from the Filmore in '99 so that's the one I listen to the most. 
I honestly don't care for it as a pop/rock song. I prefer it as an acoustic song; it's so much more poignant that way.

I have to confess Mary Jane's Last Dance for me has an inbuilt pause & rhythm in it. So for me the story is:

• "There's pigeons down on market square (where) she's standin' in her underwear /
  • (I'm) looking down (at her among the pigeons) from a hotel room - nightfall will be comin' soon."

She's staggering outside in her underwear with the town's market square pigeons fluttering all around her. He's in the hotel room in the late winter afternoon looking down out of his window - and sees her there (to his surprise and shock) ... It has an unsaid implication that, oh boy, she's more fragile and vulnerable than he realised & she's having an unfortunate reaction or episode to too much partying... They both need to learn to deal with their buried pain more effectively than by trying to kill the pain or by moving on or whatever... Last dance indeed as they're both going to need to learn how to make better choices (or more than nightfall will be coming soon).

I really hope this doesn't make me sound disapproving about partying^_^ it's only how I mis-heard it the first time.  

From Southern Accents:

Dogs on the Run
Misheard lyric: Well we came with wipers on our back.

I still have trouble figuring out some lines of the last verse, even though I know the lyrics. "Yes the room was painted blue and grey/almawheels cana me silver tray..." and "She said 'honey aim a funny crowd gathers awowalionwiout a bed?'"

Much to my recent surprise, lyrics in Stop Draggin' My Heart Around apparently include the guy singing:

• I know you really want to tell me goodbye / I know you really want to be your own girl

Oh! I have always heard this as: 

• I know you really want to tell me goodbye / I know you really want to be younger

"Younger" is, no offence, better... :lol: Okay, not better, obviously, but more in line with the deeply trapped mood of Insider. "Your own girl" he's saying he knows she's developing a vision of her own independent future. Which creates a spark hope & positivity for her in the middle of this fight. 

Whereas, for me, "younger" is much more emo &, like I say, trapped in an endless struggle, where what she wants is either impossible or desperate... 

A)  It implies he understands she has a deep regret for all the time invested in their now-toxic relationship & she has an impossible dream of, "oh boy, if we could go back in time, we could've never ended up here".

B )Or he's got this insight that she's wishing to somehow cling onto her earlier, younger self...  (In an ageist society, "young" has value & so we see some people desperately cling to that, spending gazillions on plastic surgery etc).

:rolleyes:

On July 9, 2018 at 5:35 AM, nobodyinparticular said:

American Girl
Misheard Lyric: Microwaves crashing on the beach.
(This one was obvious. The sheer absurdity of flaming microwave ovens crashing down like meteors made that obvious.)

A One Story Town
Misheard Lyric: The spaceship comes down.
(Well, it's slightly less absurd than microwave showers?)

These are hilarious, thanks for posting this. I don't know how I missed this topic back in July, it's great!

cheers