jtx84

TP Radio (XM) Special Announcement this week

7 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

If I was able to buy, I would get the CDs (there's a reassurance of having a physical copy) but just rip them to my hard drive and stick it on the shelf. That's what I do for everything, music, movies, and games. My CD drive rattles too much.

Ah, yes. Here's what's bound to happen around here: I'll buy some version, probably SD, and study it, getting into the vibe of what the "gang" want to say with their selection, read the liner notes, perhaps admire the artwork, dig some special pictures and maybe be reminded of this or that, being just a little sad.

After a few days or weeks of this, I'll get up, take the headphones off and get busy ripping the 15 or 25 songs, or how many I end up feeling the need to keep in my archives and burn them to a disc (keeping files as backup). I then pass the box on to someone else, who will love and enjoy it.

All things great that are perhaps not 100% (or say 95%) essential to my collection of originals, are subject to this treatment, since soon I can't possibly house any more records. Especially not stuff I already have multiple copies of. And while the initial experience promise to be an awesome listening party, in the long run AAT may proove to be too scattered for my taste.

At least that's my guess what is gonna happen.

8 hours ago, MuddyandMagnolia said:

like in the Simpsons when Malibu Stacy just had a new hat.

Ah, gotta love the Simpsons, for its clever exposure of our lives and times! Only weird thing is that reality always ends up more twisted, more silly and more ridiculous. 

Hi! A friend of mine's an archivist& another an art gallery curator.  They were saying that when they're putting together a collection or exhibition, they think about what value it represents. Does it have use value ie will it be used in some way? Or does it have uniqueness? Or rarity? 

One incredibly special value is when a collection is created by a group of people who have something in common, especially say something like Monet's family's retrospective of their favourite paintings by him.  Or obviously here, the Petty family and the band family creating a collection that they know damn well represents their favourites and Tom's favourites.  What they are creating shows us fans a little glimpse into their unique point of view.  

Plus, the process of coming together 6 months after a sudden death and talking together ....considering, editing, deciding what goes in .... would be special,  therapeutic and hopefully healing.  A little like preparing for a memorial service that they are generous enough to share with the world.  I hope it's been a source of comfort and strength for them all. 

Ok, if you then go see a memorial art exhibition, yeah, you might - in fact probably will - see stuff you've seen before (Visitor: "oh no, we've already seen that painting of waterlilies in a museum last year!")  If you're primarily interested in rarity or new unreleased items, then, sure, I can see that'll disappoint.  Some collectors are a bit like that about stuff they've seen/ heard before, which is understandable, as they migt want to collect things which will complete their collection & fill gaps.  

• But what if the important thing was that the painting in the exhibition (the one  you've seen before) is chosen because it was Monet's most loved painting or the one he gave his best friend as a thank you? Yeah, now ok now we begin to appreciate it more now we realise its special meaning or significance to the creator or their loved ones... What if every single painting was there only because of its backstory? These songs on American Treasure include songs he sang to his daughter when she was little, you know, oh my... words fail me...where's that tissue box - yes, maybe they're available on earlier albums, but is that the point? 
  • What is so special for me about  American Treasure - and why I'm not looking at it as how many new tracks are there - is the underlying connection between all the songs.  These seem to have been carefully chosen over the last few months because they have some special and unique meaning to either Tom or to his nearest and dearest. Oh my, even the idea of that is amazingly special to me. In a way, these are his big extended band & family's mix tapes based on their love for him.  And they're giving us the option of creating our own homemade mix tapes from the songlist - or buying a budget box set or a more complex super delux.  
  • My opinion: I think that's gorgeous. Also why I love this band.  

❤️ Love.

So much feelings about this release, right?  Two more random thoughts of mine:

1. The fact that AAT is credited to "Tom Petty", rather than to "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers", really speaks for how much of a celebratory, tribute kinda release-of-love this is from Dana, Adria, Ben, Mike and Ryan. I suppose that is that is where the focus of this thing is to be found really. It's clearly all about the genius of Tom, as found a bit beyond and behind his most well known and played songs, all filtred through the ones that was closest to him. I really appreciate how they have been brave and personal enough to leave the usual suspects out of this. (Save for the stray case of I Won't Back Down, a song that may indeed, within the concept here, tell a real story, though.) To me, that may very well be what makes this thing as truly special as those people's personal involvement seem to suggest.

2. I have, with pride and joy, noticed how many of my, perhaps more unexpected favorite songs are on this box. In fact two of my all time top favorite songs of Tom's - songs he himself rarely mentioned, let alone played or re-issued, as long as he didn't have to, and songs that most fans don't seem to like that much either - here finally get their much due recognition! Songs being Deliver Me and You & I Will Meet Again. 

Shelter, I'm genuinely so glad for you about Deliver Me and You & I Will Meet Again. I like your beautiful choice of the words brave and personal too.❤️

Remember how in Runnin Down A Dream, Eddie Vedder says what a gracious situation it is when an artist (TP) can appreciate how a fan (ie Eddie) responds deeply and personally to the music.  Eddie said he even remembers the feeling in his gut at 14 when he first heard The Waiting).  

Maybe this is another gracious situation now - when we fans can appreciate how the artist feels about the music too... that even though they didn't play some of them much, these songs were close to his heart.  Just as we privately hoped they might be...

Making any kind of sense? 

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Hi! A friend of mine's an archivist& another an art gallery curator.  They were saying that when they're putting together a collection or exhibition, they think about what value it represents. Does it have use value ie will it be used in some way? Or does it have uniqueness? Or rarity? 

One incredibly special value is when a collection is created by a group of people who have something in common, especially say something like Monet's family's retrospective of their favourite paintings by him.  Or obviously here, the Petty family and the band family creating a collection that they know damn well represents their favourites and Tom's favourites.  What they are creating shows us fans a little glimpse into their unique point of view.  

Plus, the process of coming together 6 months after a sudden death and talking together ....considering, editing, deciding what goes in .... would be special,  therapeutic and hopefully healing.  A little like preparing for a memorial service that they are generous enough to share with the world.  I hope it's been a source of comfort and strength for them all. 

Ok, if you then go see a memorial art exhibition, yeah, you might - in fact probably will - see stuff you've seen before (Visitor: "oh no, we've already seen that painting of waterlilies in a museum last year!")  If you're primarily interested in rarity or new unreleased items, then, sure, I can see that'll disappoint.  Some collectors are a bit like that about stuff they've seen/ heard before, which is understandable, as they migt want to collect things which will complete their collection & fill gaps.  

• But what if the important thing was that the painting in the exhibition (the one  you've seen before) is chosen because it was Monet's most loved painting or the one he gave his best friend as a thank you? Yeah, now ok now we begin to appreciate it more now we realise its special meaning or significance to the creator or their loved ones... What if every single painting was there only because of its backstory? These songs on American Treasure include songs he sang to his daughter when she was little, you know, oh my... words fail me...where's that tissue box - yes, maybe they're available on earlier albums, but is that the point? 
  • What is so special for me about  American Treasure - and why I'm not looking at it as how many new tracks are there - is the underlying connection between all the songs.  These seem to have been carefully chosen over the last few months because they have some special and unique meaning to either Tom or to his nearest and dearest. Oh my, even the idea of that is amazingly special to me. In a way, these are his big extended band & family's mix tapes based on their love for him.  And they're giving us the option of creating our own homemade mix tapes from the songlist - or buying a budget box set or a more complex super delux.  
  • My opinion: I think that's gorgeous. Also why I love this band.  

❤️ Love.

Perfectly said, my friend!  Thank you!  ❤️ Love

18 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Wow! thats crazy that it got put up back in June!  They really seemed to make a lot of mistakes with this release. I dont know if the countdown being different from the XM broadcast was to build more buzz but it seems they made a bunch of mis-steps at Warner.... 

Yeah, I was kinda waiting for some kinda reaction... but, nah.

Then I moved on, forgot about the post, just digging the song that I had the wits to rip from on there. Now I don't remember who posted it, though, but it was clearly not intended to be done. I think just four people had watched it before I stumbled upon it.

As for mis-steps, this slip with the video clearly was made by an "outsider". More or less. (Or someone just losely connected to Rock Paper Scissors or perhaps the early stages of its creation, not fully realizing how rare the music was or what it was intended for... Actually I seem to recall the video was called "A Little Soul".)  But yeah, I think we have to draw a distinct and honorable line between how the actual production arms of this beast - the people planning, recording, arranging, producing these things - are being managed, that is the true heros of this legend - and the yelping madness of the IT lizzards who run the communication debartment, , the marketing, the website and the fanclub. The incompetence, random logic and contempt for all things decent (and for fans) that the latter tend to display, when left to their own devices, or set to follow seemingly simple directions, I  have learned - through soon have lead a whole life of sub standard experiences with - is almost endless. Don't get me started on all the low points of stunts, runarounds, rudeness, ineffectivity, glitches and straight fails. In short, I'm not surprised at that part. They can't count straight up, so how could they count backwards?! They in themselves are probably the biggest mis-steps of all in the Tom Petty universe. The only one, as far as I'm concerned. (And a major reason I ended up here at the Farm - where fans are doing it for themself - and for which I should perhaps thank them). Many times through they years I have wondered why Tom/Tony/WB let the responsibility of TPATH marketing and fan club - the handeling of Tom's good name and brand, as it were - in the hands of such goons. Enough of that. I haven't have to deal with them in some years now actually. Just saying. 

20 hours ago, Thelonious said:

Anyone knows, if the Boxset will arrive much later than September 28th, when I order from Germany? 

Experiences from former Orders? 

You're forwarded to http://eurostore.warnermusic.com/ when you're ordering from Europe.
That's Warner Music's European web store. Anything you order from there shouldn't take too long, if not on time. And you won't have any hassle with customs. You'll get the digital album download on release date in MP3 and FLAC format, at least that's what they provided with previous orders.

'The truth is rarely pure and never simple' Oscar Wilde.

With this release I'm transported back to 1993 when I bought my first TPATHB album. The band were already on the road two years before I was born and that purchase of Greatest Hits cemented a life long appreciation for and exploration of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers for me and yes I did go on to purchase and enjoy all the albums off the back of purchasing Greatest Hits.  Sometimes we forget that new people are coming across the music of TPATHB that haven't heard it before, weren't around for the full journey of the band from the beginning and that releases like this can be a great introduction to the band and a gateway to further exploration of other albums and other era's of the band. 

Now of course for many here, myself included I would have preferred a stand alone release option with just the new songs but it's show business and commercial realities dictate the type of release realities we get no matter how we would wish it different. It's one of those conundrums that I'm balancing with the very eloquent words of Big Blue Sky that resonate so well with me. I look forward to the new songs and will listen to the compilation on the basis of it being a labour of love by those close to Tom.

Nurk, I was thinking we got that Official Live Leg show with something before and then I realized it was on vinyl with The Live Anthology box set.  This is what we got for $150 with the Live Anthology box set. I guess it was a little more stuff than what's in the American Treasure but I'm still looking forward to the new set.  

91ZxJsh3KjL._SL1500_.jpg

7 hours ago, NightDriver said:

You're forwarded to http://eurostore.warnermusic.com/ when you're ordering from Europe.
That's Warner Music's European web store. Anything you order from there shouldn't take too long, if not on time. And you won't have any hassle with customs. You'll get the digital album download on release date in MP3 and FLAC format, at least that's what they provided with previous orders.

Thank you, NightDriver! Just preordered the Deluxe-4CD-Set there for 27,99 Euros. Super cheap!!! Another one for my brother, so we split the shipping costs (about 7,50). About 30 Euros for the Box. Can't wait!!!!

4 hours ago, chimera said:

The resident TPATH expert over at the SHF posted a clip-by-clip rundown of the sources for this video; I can c&p it if y'all are curious; it's pretty much what I thought it was, but I love minutiae like that.

I think that would be interesting to see.  For the life of me I can't think of what SHF would be!  What site is that?

1 hour ago, Marion said:

I can't think of what SHF would be!  What site is that?

2 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I would guess Steve Hoffmann Forums. I've seen it come up in Google results for various music-related things.

Yes. A lot of interesting TPATH writing there and other music too.

Here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tom-petty-heartbreakers-2018-thread.728267/page-14

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tom-petty-heartbreakers-career-spanning-box-set-coming-soon.762494/

17 hours ago, Shelter said:

Yes, and how's that for a poetic counterweight to Liberty's "dabbling" in minimalism, mentioned?

Hey babies! (I’m channeling Dr. Johnny Fever)

I dig this thread, there’s so much that’s happening in it, buzzin’ like king bees...

Pricing is a bitch, but everyone’s got groceries. Hell I’m getting the Super Deluxe, I had to put off my Tommy tattoo to buy it, I’m the girl without every track included, and I’ll share it all, like I’ve said, share and share alike. 

The collection, the tracks, the lovely extras are amazing and I believe, as most, that one, All The Rest is coming and I would have chosen a different image for the cover.

What is sad is the cost, reading everyone’s opinions here, unless I’m wrong, makes me think about cost vs value. I didn’t intend for sad to mean anything else about this. 

Why would there be a limit to # of downloads, seems asinine.

4 hours ago, Marion said:

I think that would be interesting to see.  

Here it is, complied by SHF member McCool:

"Keep A Little Context?" (Or More Information Than You Probably Want To Know!)
0:00-0:09 - 06/1982 (Record Plant "Long After Dark" Sessions/Cameron Crowe)
0:09-0:12 - Home movies (Tom Petty/Randall Marsh)
0:15-0:18 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
0:19 - "The Last DJ Sessions" (DVD)
0:20 - "400 Days" (DVD/Martyn Atkins)
0:21 - 06/1982 ("Record Plant "Long After Dark" Sessions/Cameron Crowe)
0:22 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
0:23-0:24 - 01/21/1980 (TP&HB@Whiskey A Go-Go)
0:25-0:46 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
0:47 - 01/21/1980 (TP&HB@ Whiskey A Go-Go)
0:48 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
0:49-0:50 - 06/02/1978 (TP&HB@Midnight Special)
0:51 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
0:52 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
0:53 - Home movies (Randall Marsh)
0:54-0:59 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:00-1:01 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
1:02 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:03 - 06/1982 (Record Plant "Long After Dark" Sessions/Cameron Crowe)
1:04 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:05 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@ Santa Monica NYE)
1:05-1:29 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:30 - 06/1982 (Record Plant "Long After Dark" Sessions/Cameron Crowe)
1:33 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:34-1:37 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
1:38 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:43-1:44 - Home movies (Randall Marsh)
1:45-1:46 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
1:48 - 1977 (TP&HB@Whiskey A Go-Go)
1:49-2:08 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:09-2:13 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
2:14 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:15 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
2:16-2:17 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:18-2:19 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
2:20-2:23 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:24-2:25 - 06/1982 (Record Plant "Long After Dark" Sessions/Cameron Crowe)
2:26-2:28 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:29 - "The Last DJ Sessions" (DVD)
2:30 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:31-2:33 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
2:34-2:45 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:46-2:47 - 1977 (TP&HB@Whiskey A Go-Go)
2:48-2:49 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:50-2:51 - "Fun In The Desert" (The Last DJ Photocall)
2:52-2:53 - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
2:54-2:55 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
2:56 - "Fun In The Desert" (The Last DJ Photocall)
2:57 - "Heartbreaker's Beach Party" (Cameron Crowe/MTV)
2:58 - "Fun In The Desert" (The Last DJ Photocall)
2:59 - "Pack Up The Plantation Live!" (VHS/Jeff Stein)
3:00 - "400 Days" (DVD/Martyn Atkins)
3:01 - "Fun In The Desert" (The Last DJ Photocall)
3:02-3:08 - Home movies (Ron Blair/"Full Speed Ahead")
3:09-fade - 12/31/1978 (TP&HB@Santa Monica NYE)
=================
Timing might be slightly off but you should still be able to follow along.

My jaw is still on the floor about Bowie's guitar player's book of photos for - what was it - 7000 bucks? :o that's an outrage plus then also the raw timing.  I would be going back to bed and pulling quilt up over my head until such a bad thing went away.  I could get two second hand cars for that price.  Ouch!