jtx84

TP Radio (XM) Special Announcement this week

26 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I get that sentiment, too. While I'm not super happy that this included a bunch of album tracks, I can tell looking at the track list that it was arranged with care. I think I remember that Annakim was always a huge fan of "Alright for Now" and so I think many of the songs included are there for a reason, as a tribute.

It's more than just a vessel to get out unreleased tracks. I think it's a sentimental look back at the past 40+ years. It's not trying to be one thing, but just an encapsulation of what TPATH was all about, from the albums, to the unreleased, to the live experience... 

I think we should listen, really listen to what they wanted us to hear. 

2 hours ago, Marion said:

I liked the hoopla and it was fun to listen to the radio to get the news!  They played The Waiting before the announcement.  I'm excited about the box set!   This collection was put together with love from Tom's family. Dana, Adria, Annakim and Mike.  I'm not going to sit here and pick it all apart when they put it together from the heart.   It will be wonderful.   ❤️❤️❤️  

Thank you for recording that, it was so amazing to hear a new (to us) song!  But yeah, I bet it was a lot of fun to wait on the announcement, just like in the old days, lol.

I cannot wait to see the video David spoke of, like, vibrating with excitement level of anticipation.

3 hours ago, mikemono said:

I color coded them, but that doesn't mean I added them up properly 😛

LIVE BLUE 13

Two Gunslingers(Live at The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY—May 25, 2013)

Southern Accents(Live at Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Gainesville, FL—September 21, 2006)

Hungry No More(Live at House of Blues, Boston, MA—June 15, 2016)

This version of "Two Gunslingers" is likely on the Live 2013 fan club release. I can't confirm the date on that version.

This version of "Southern Accents" is on the Live Anthology set.

This version of "Hungry No More" is from the Mudcrutch 2 live performances fan club release.

.... that said, I am so glad to have the news of this set. I look forward to hearing new music, new version of songs we already know, and just enjoying what they've shared with us.

I bet Wildflowers "All the Rest" will happen in 2019. I think it makes sense to hold that back until 2019, since 2019 is the 25th anniversary of the original Wildflowers LP.

7 minutes ago, seltaeb said:

This version of "Two Gunslingers" is likely on the Live 2013 fan club release. I can't confirm the date on that version.

This version of "Southern Accents" is on the Live Anthology set.

This version of "Hungry No More" is from the Mudcrutch 2 live performances fan club release.

The version of "Kings Road" is from The Live Anthology as well, I believe.

2 minutes ago, chimera said:

The version of "King's Road" is from The Live Anthology as well, I believe.

I thought that was possible, too, but it's not... I checked here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Live_Anthology  ... there's no live version of "Kings Road" on the Live Anthology, as far as I know.

Also, the version of "A Woman in Love" from the new set is June 28, 1981), whereas the Live Anthology version of that song is June 29... so those two are different :).

20 minutes ago, chimera said:

Well darn it, scratch that then - what was I thinking, I wonder?

It wasn't too smart, whatever it was.  :wacko:

It happened to me, too! But after cross checking, now I'm super glad we'll have a Kings Road live version! :)

Very Excited , 

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
Something to make us all happy
Do anything, take us out of this gloom
Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy

2 hours ago, seltaeb said:

This version of "Two Gunslingers" is likely on the Live 2013 fan club release. I can't confirm the date on that version...This version of "Southern Accents" is on the Live Anthology set....This version of "Hungry No More" is from the Mudcrutch 2 live performances fan club release.

1 hour ago, seltaeb said:

Also, the version of "A Woman in Love" from the new set is June 28, 1981), whereas the Live Anthology version of that song is June 29... so those two are different :).

If all this is true, I don't understand it.

Why not release live tracks that haven't been released before at all? And why another version of A Woman In Love? Good song yes, glad they pulled it out across recent tours, some fine soloing, but unless this is the ten minute jam version, I doubt they'll be much different from one performance to the next. This feels like some cobbled together tracks, unused ones from the Live Anthology added in with the unreleased songs. i didn't realize the super deluxe version was over a hundred dollars, I thought it was forty some dollars for the four discs. Oh well.

Thanks for recording the announcement and Keep A Little Soul, Marion!!

The fact that they didn't include The Woods, Little Girl Blues, Mystery Of Love, Somewhere Under Heaven etc. leaves room for speculations over upcoming releases! 🙂

I really was expecting WF All the Rest (since it's supposed to be almost completely done), but looking forward to this one even more. It spans over the whole career and therefore makes more sense being the first posthumous release.

Is anyone else’s OCD going crazy because they didn’t call it Playback 2?  American Recordings sounds slightly cheesy for a name. I would be interested to know if this was planned prior to Toms death as it looks to be very rushed. Why album tracks? If you’re buying this you’ll already be a big fan and have  them all on CD already. 

Also, no sign of the Wild Thing recording on the tracklist which is dissapointing as I love their version of that :( 

7 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Concert Intro (Live introduction by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)

King’s Road (Live at The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)

Clear The Aisles (Live concert announcement by Tom Petty, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)

I just noticed this, kinda odd if accurate.

Ok, I'm awake..  

Now what's this? Where's my tumblers??

Seriously, though... In order not to sound ungrateful, I'll try to offer some more, at least semi-digested thoughts..

And I thought Playback was a con job! It's not just the disappointment of "All The Rest" being pushed off yet again (if indeed, now, with no chance of a themed tour to ever happen, we will ever get to see it at all!). No. Any release of unreleased music from these guys is bound to be fantastic. Of course. Cept maybe when so much love and devotion is put into a project, by so many people, that it all gets everyway as disconfigured, confusing and hotchpotch in character as it possibly can. Not only in content, but in structure. (Although perhaps the liner notes may sort that out some?) Now, I've noticed some here agree with this and some don't.

For me: The unrleased studio tracks are tremendously interesting. The alternate versions may be of some interest - they will definately be good for adding to my own archives. The live stuff could be ok, but not really necessary at this point. All the stuff already released? Well.. don't get me started. And all of it together..? Not sure. It seems to me that as a nice celebrative memorial from the ones closest to Tom, this may work as a whole. At the same time, in terms of the fututre, and other imaginable archival releases, this may not bode well. it's a first step, and from a vault perspective, it's quite a messy one. I think it's safe to say that bookends is not gonna be a goal to anybody in this camp, discographical details and session context not an issue. The interested - that is us, or me - is better sharpening our detective abilities further and stuff our wallets, if we are planning to keep up, if we will want to keep playing at hunting stuff down. (Personally I would have prefered a more scholarly approach to Tom's vaults - something similar to what Jeff Rosen did to Dylan's Bootleg Series, if more small scale and humble.)  

At least this box is a first in one major way. Tom never seem comfortable releasing anything from the vault that did not have at least some of his BIGGEST songs on there, in some form. His was the belief, apparently, that no archival release would work, let alone sell without them, just as no live show would never work without all of them. This is, as I see it, a clinically problematic misunderstanding that this upcoming release seem to face and deal with in the most insteresting way. Unlike Playback, all the album cuts here - the stuff that seem as in the way for the old fans as the unreleased stuff may seem in the way for newbies wanting to check out the cataloge - are more or less deep cuts. In fact, next to nothing in terms of the beaten BIG ONCE are found on this box! Very surprisingly, knowing the history. But also very refreshing and somewhat a guarantee in itself, that this will indeed be a stunning listen. Not only is this concept new to the world of Tom Petty, many of my own favorite songs are included here too. So, even if I find the ratio of released songs being way too high, at least it's not the same old songs this time. It reads like an awesome listen, even if my mind has a built in sensivity for mixing live and studio stuff... so we'll see how that will hold up.

I tend to think Marion is on to something when she says that this may be worth listening to the way it was intended to be listened to, since it really seems to be colelcted and arranged as a work of love. The released songs, the choices of live songs and unreleased tracks probably all have been done for a reason. I have very much trust in Ben and Mike as far as that goes. This sure seem to be a box of love from the near and dear ones. As such it will be great, I'm sure.

Which leads me into thinking it's time to wrap this up. We will see how it lands. For me as a fan of music, records and with a deep interest in this band history (and in structure and sessions, logs and calendars and all that crap).  this seem more a personal clip book with gold nuggest sprinkled throughout, than the more structurally neat and detailed substatntial release of pure gold, that I'm always hoping for. Something where the chronology or theme is kept to a reasonable level, where the studio and demo material is released separately from the live material and where repacking of old material is kept to a minimum, for the sake of decency, if nothing else. Again, presented like this - like a The Family Playlist of sorts - it may work alright. We will have to see. But generally speaking this is way to scattered, unfocused and sample menu styled for my taste. I would obviously, really only need one disc of music out of these four. Perhaps two. (I wonder if I dare hope the 2CD edition will be all the unreleased stuff? Haha!! Right.)

And..... guys....

I can't believe NO ONE EVEN NOTICED when I put that Keep A Little Soul video up (in the Random Click Thread) already on June 15! 😲 

(Think only Jay saw it. Good for you Jay, thank you for paying attention, man!)

2 hours ago, crackfox said:

Is anyone else’s OCD going crazy because they didn’t call it Playback 2?  American Recordings sounds slightly cheesy for a name. I would be interested to know if this was planned prior to Toms death as it looks to be very rushed. Why album tracks? If you’re buying this you’ll already be a big fan and have  them all on CD already. 

Also, no sign of the Wild Thing recording on the tracklist which is dissapointing as I love their version of that :( 

I believe the set is called American Treasure because Tom Petty is an American treasure.  😊 ❤️

I think because TOM PETTY runs vertically down the left of the artwork, it's more like: 
"Tom Petty: An American Treasure" Which I LOVE. ❤️    So great. They've always been so underrated and it's so understated how Tom Petty is so quintessentially American with his lyrics, his stance in the music industry, and his constant fight for justice. 

So much for the countdown! Site went live at least 15 minutes before the countdown was over!

Already got the Super Deluxe version preordered! Passing on the vinyl version at least for now... I'd love to grab it too, but $300 for both is just a lot. I'd much rather have the extra stuff that comes with the CD version. The vinyl version's release date is later in the year (November instead of September) too.