jtx84

TP Radio (XM) Special Announcement this week

4 minutes ago, decacerata said:

So I guess we can assume the 15 hour countdown is for when it goes on sale? I wonder if they’ll drop a vinyl version 💸

Yes, there's a vinyl version. 

looks like 7 albums and 150 for the vinyl  and about 45 bucks for the 4 CD set and 16 for the 2 CD.  Someone got screen caps of that before it was takne down. No idea if those are USD prices or not.

I feel like tompetty.com screwed the pooch on this one as most of the info is already out from the TPR and Tom Petty Nation FB page.  I will definately be a buyer for the 4 CD set but I feel like Wildflowers All The Rest is really going to suffer and be a disappointment.  Lets face it most of that album made ito onto She's the one, now there is at least one track and some out takes on this set as well as the somewhere under heaven track released  a couple of years back now....  Just let it out there! 

not sure how easy this will be to see of if the link will persist. 

7 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Lets face it most of that album made ito onto She's the one, now there is at least one track and some out takes on this set as well as the somewhere under heaven track released  a couple of years back now....  Just let it out there! 

I don't know, perhaps I'm being foolishly optimistic but I think there's a lot of unreleased and unheard songs from Wildflowers, so even though some were used in She's The One and one is being released now, they'll still be plenty for All The Rest on its eventual release. PURE SPECULATION WITH NO EVIDENCE!

12 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

looks like 7 albums and 150 for the vinyl  and about 45 bucks for the 4 CD set and 16 for the 2 CD.  Someone got screen caps of that before it was takne down. No idea if those are USD prices or not.

I feel like tompetty.com screwed the pooch on this one as most of the info is already out from the TPR and Tom Petty Nation FB page.  I will definately be a buyer for the 4 CD set but I feel like Wildflowers All The Rest is really going to suffer and be a disappointment.  Lets face it most of that album made ito onto She's the one, now there is at least one track and some out takes on this set as well as the somewhere under heaven track released  a couple of years back now....  Just let it out there! 

not sure how easy this will be to see of if the link will persist. 

Looks like they are USD. Definitely think that information wasn’t supposed to be out yet but at least now I feel prepared for tomorrow! 😂 I would jump on the vinyl release but I really want that special edition too... might have to make some tough choices. 

Edit: and yeeeeeah there goes the FB post! 

The Super Deluxe 4CD box set is definitely too rich for my blood ($149.40) but I'm curious as to what extra goodies it contains.  I'm also curious as to the tracklisting on the two-CD set.

5 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Why are they calling Surrender unreleased?

If I take their annotation at face value, it looks like it's the first recording of that song, which would mean the one on the Damn The Torpedoes Deluxe Edition was from those particular sessions.  I'm pretty sure the guys have said they recorded "Surrender" for every album, at least up to Hard Promises.  And then of course one more time for the Anthology: Through The Years release.

Upon counting, it looks like there are 13 live tracks, 18 alternate versions (meaning a studio recording exists of it elsewhere, so "Surrender" would fall under this category), 18 album tracks, 3 announcements, 2 in common with Playback ("Damage You've Done"? and "Apartment Song" demo), 1 B Side ("Dont Treat Me Like a Stranger"), and 8 completely new songs (though  "I Don't Belong" has surfaced, a not so great quality version of "Lost In Your Eyes" has surfaced, and "Two Men Talkin" has been played live in 2003, once in 2005, and a few times in 2012).

20 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Why are they calling Surrender unreleased?  Why so many album tracks? Why not a year's maid service with purchase? WHY?!?

20/60 (one third) is album tracks. This upsets me. I feel like we're paying extra for stuff we've already bought...

EDIT: I might have counted wrong because I only counted once.  
Mikemono's figures are probably more reliable than mine. LOL 

EDIT 2: I counted 19 album tracks the second time. 

I color coded them, but that doesn't mean I added them up properly 😛

LIVE BLUE 13

NEW STUDIO RED 8

ALTERNATE VERSIONS GREEN 18

ALBUM TRACKS ORANGE 18

B SIDES YELLOW 1

FROM PLAYBACK PURPLE2

ANNOUNCEMENTS 3

CD 1 

1. Surrender(Previously unreleased track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sessions—1976)
  2. Listen To Her Heart(Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA—November 11, 1977)
  3. Anything That’s Rock ‘N’ Roll (Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA—November 11, 1977)
  4. When The Time Comes(Album track from You’re Gonna Get It!—May 2, 1978)
  5. You’re Gonna Get It(Alternate version featuring strings from You’re Gonna Get It! sessions—1978)
  6. Radio Promotion Spot (1977)
  7. Rockin’ Around (With You)(Album track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers —November 9, 1976)
  8. Fooled Again (I Don’t Like It)(Alternate version from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers—1976)
  9. Breakdown(Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA—November 11, 1977)
  10. The Wild One, Forever(Album track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers—November 9, 1976)
  11. No Second Thoughts(Album track from You’re Gonna Get It!—May 2, 1978)
  12. Here Comes My Girl(Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions—1979)
  13. What Are You Doing In My Life(Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions—1979)
  14. Louisiana Rain(Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions—1979)
  15. Lost In Your Eyes(Previously unreleased single from Mudcrutch sessions—1974)

CD 2 

1. Keep A Little Soul(Previously unreleased track from Long After Dark sessions—1982)
  2. Even The Losers(Live at Rochester Community War Memorial, Rochester, NY—1989)
  3. Keeping Me Alive(Previously unreleased track from Long After Dark sessions—1982)
  4. Don’t Treat Me Like A Stranger(B-side to UK single of “I Won’t Back Down”—April, 1989)
  5. The Apartment Song(Demo recording (with Stevie Nicks)—1984)
  6. Concert Intro (Live introduction by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)
  7. King’s Road(Live at The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)
  8. Clear The Aisles (Live concert announcement by Tom Petty, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)
  9. A Woman In Love(It’s Not Me) (Live at The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)
  10. Straight Into Darkness(Alternate version from The Record Plant, Hollywood, CA—May 5, 1982)
  11. You Can Still Change Your Mind(Album track from Hard Promises—May 5, 1981)
  12. Rebels(Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions—1985)
  13. Deliver Me(Alternate version from Long After Dark sessions—1982)
  14. Alright For Now(Album track from Full Moon Fever—April 24, 1989)
  15. The Damage You’ve Done(Alternate version from Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) sessions—1987)
  16. The Best Of Everything(Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions—March 26, 1985)
  17. Walkin’ From The Fire(Previously unreleased track from Southern Accents sessions—March 1, 1984)
  18. King Of The Hill(Early take (with Roger McGuinn)—November 23, 1987)

CD 3 

1. I Won’t Back Down(Live at The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA—February 4, 1997)
  2. Gainesville(Previously unreleased track from Echo sessions—February 12, 1998)
  3. You And I Will Meet Again(Album track from Into The Great Wide Open—July 2, 1991)
  4. Into The Great Wide Open(Live at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena—November 24, 1991)
  5. Two Gunslingers(Live at The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY—May 25, 2013)
  6. Lonesome Dave(Previously unreleased track from Wildflowers sessions—July 23, 1993)
  7. To Find A Friend(Album track from Wildflowers—November 1, 1994)
  8. Crawling Back To You(Album track from Wildflowers—November 1, 1994)
  9. Wake Up Time(Previously unreleased track from early Wildflowers sessions—August 12, 1992)
  10. Grew Up Fast(Album track from Songs and Music from “She’s the One”—August 6, 1996)
  11. I Don’t Belong(Previously unreleased track from Echo sessions—December 3, 1998)
  12. Accused Of Love(Album track from Echo—April 13, 1999)
  13. Lonesome Sundown(Album track from Echo—April 13, 1999)
  14. Don’t Fade On Me(Previously unreleased track from Wildflowers—sessions—April 20, 1994) 

CD 4 

1. You And Me(Clubhouse version—November 9, 2007)
  2. Have Love Will Travel(Album track from The Last DJ—October 8, 2002)
  3. Money Becomes King(Album track from The Last DJ—October 8, 2002)
  4. Bus To Tampa Bay(Previously unreleased track from Hypnotic Eye sessions—August 11, 2011)
  5. Saving Grace(Live at Malibu Performing Arts Center, Malibu, CA—June 16, 2006)
  6. Down South(Album track from Highway Companion—July 25, 2006)
  7. Southern Accents(Live at Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Gainesville, FL—September 21, 2006)
  8. Insider Live(with Stevie Nicks at O’Connell Center, Gainesville, FL—September 21, 2006)
  9. Two Men Talking(Previously unreleased track from Hypnotic Eye sessions—November 16, 2012)
  10. Fault Lines(Album track from Hypnotic Eye—July 29, 2014)
  11. Sins Of My Youth(Early take from Hypnotic Eye sessions—November 12, 2012)
  12. Good Enough(Alternate version from Mojo sessions—2012)
  13. Something Good Coming(Album track from Mojo—July 15, 2010)
  14. Save Your Water(Album track from Mudcrutch 2—May 20, 2016)
  15. Like A Diamond(Alternate version from The Last DJ sessions—2002)
  16. Hungry No More(Live at House of Blues, Boston, MA—June 15, 2016)

And I guess it doesn't help that I can't tell orange and red apart. LOL 
I did count 18 the third time. Either way, close to a third and way too many album tracks, IMO. 

^ there are only so many colors that I could make work LOL my apologies. In any case, "Damage You've Done" may not be the country version from Playback and so the numbers may shift around a bit. And "Wake Up Time" and "Don't Fade on Me" are listed as previously unreleased, for some odd reason, but I counted them as alternate. We'll see in September!

12 minutes ago, mikemono said:

Thank you for this it was super helpful!

Things like this are just totally my jam, I'm a sucker for bootlegs (I REALLY need to get that site up and running for real 😅) so having multiple versions of the same song is something that I am okay with.  But I can see how it wouldn't be up everyone's alley.  I'm guessing the reason for adding some released songs on there is to make it like a Playback Pt 2 for stuff released since then, OR it's some sort of record company requirement, which I could see being the case too (although this does have tracks from MCA albums and stuff that was on Playback but weirdly sporadic so who knows--maybe they're just songs Dana and Adria really like...?)

Edited by decacerata
I can't type or think

Yeah they did have to license stuff from UMG - I wonder if it was collated by committee or if Mike, Benmont and Ryan were the primary curators, with Dana and Adria giving their blessing (like, "The Wild One, Forever" is one of Dana's favorites, so Tom said).

I liked the hoopla and it was fun to listen to the radio to get the news!  They played The Waiting before the announcement.  I'm excited about the box set!   This collection was put together with love from Tom's family. Dana, Adria, Mike, Benmont and Ryan.  I'm not going to sit here and pick it all apart when they put it together from the heart.   It will be wonderful.   ❤️❤️❤️  

16 minutes ago, Marion said:

I liked the hoopla and it was fun to listen to the radio to get the news!  They played The Waiting before the announcement.  I'm excited about the box set!   This collection was put together with love from Tom's family. Dana, Adria, Annakim and Mike.  I'm not going to sit here and pick it all apart when they put it together from the heart.   It will be wonderful.   ❤️❤️❤️  

I get that sentiment, too. While I'm not super happy that this included a bunch of album tracks, I can tell looking at the track list that it was arranged with care. I think I remember that Annakim was always a huge fan of "Alright for Now" and so I think many of the songs included are there for a reason, as a tribute.

It's more than just a vessel to get out unreleased tracks. I think it's a sentimental look back at the past 40+ years. It's not trying to be one thing, but just an encapsulation of what TPATH was all about, from the albums, to the unreleased, to the live experience... 

These are the main ones that I'm particularly excited about. 

CD 2 

Straight Into Darkness(Alternate version from The Record Plant, Hollywood, CA—May 5, 1982)
Rebels(Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions—1985)
Deliver Me(Alternate version from Long After Dark sessions—1982)
The Best Of Everything(Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions—March 26, 1985)

CD 4 
Sins Of My Youth(Early take from Hypnotic Eye sessions—November 12, 2012)
Good Enough(Alternate version from Mojo sessions—2012)

But the studio version from the album? I just don't like it at all. On the album, it sounds like they've only ever played it once and are trying to get a feel for how to make it work. But the live performance is sublime.  

1 hour ago, mikemono said:

Nice. I was thinking about this while working out and while not wanting to rain on the parade, it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do when it came to archival releases. I think there has to be really something noteworthy for an alternate take, and who knows, maybe there is. But album tracks? I realize this may be an attempt to target the casual fan but why would they have an interest in this? It's a bit of an investment of money and time.

It's moot but I think it would've been better for them to go over the unreleased studio tracks and shape them into an album or albums of their own, by chronological order or what flows the best. Eight new studio tracks...that's a damn fine e.p. A few more and an album of its own. But this box set as listed seems like a lot of filler. And the strangeness of things from Playback being on here in addition to a song that could still be on All The Rest.

Heck! I'm repeating myself more than on set list topics. The point is, I don't like the approach though I realize many others might. 

cheers

9 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Another thing: I'm quite surprised to see "No Second Thoughts" (album version) on here. 
As much as I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, this is one version of a song that I think sounds like a terrible take.

Interestingly, it was addressed in one of the articles posted up today: https://www.thepettyarchives.com/archives/magazines/1970s/1978-05-27-sounds

'No Second Thoughts' they thought I was mad for awhile, because I wrote the song on an acoustic 12-string and wanted the band with acoustic instruments. Once they got over that, we put a big plastic shield around some conga drums and Ben (Tench, keyboards) put his organ right in the middle. All the mikes were open so everything bled together. There's crazy overtones from doing that. I swear I hear a flute going on, but there is no flute—it's just harmonics from the bleed.

31 minutes ago, Mudcrutch said:

Thanks for sharing this. Usually I avoid hearing tracks (including singles) before a new record so I can take it all in fresh but figured I'd make an exception on this one. Kind of you to record and share this!

cheers