jtx84

TP Radio (XM) Special Announcement this week

^  NO, you are not getting ripped off. You have to realize that to follow a band or collect their records costs money. IF you don't spend money on them, you'll never see them in concert and you'll never have their records!! It's "Not A Drop In The Bucket" for you, and it's not for most of us, but we traveled all over this country to see Tom and every penny we saved to get together was well worth it. WE have experiences that only US have. Too bad you don't see it that way!

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

^  NO, you are not getting ripped off. You have to realize that to follow a band or collect their records costs money. IF you don't spend money on them, you'll never see them in concert and you'll never have their records!! It's "Not A Drop In The Bucket" for you, and it's not for most of us, but we traveled all over this country to see Tom and every penny we saved to get together was well worth it. WE have experiences that only US have. Too bad you don't see it that way!

No no you got me all wrong! 

I was saying it seemed as though some people were suggesting the set was a rip off - while others argue that it certainly is not, I am not here to create waves where there weren't waves at all! As a matter of fact I know what it's like to spend money on Tom, and you know what, unlike all of you, I never got to see him in person, meet him, go to a concert or anything, just wasn't in my cards and I'll never forgive myself for that. 

I was told this forum never had conflict, and I don't mean to start any, I suppose I am just horrid at words : P 

So all my money won't buy me what I truly ever wanted, you may be happy that you are better than me.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Experiences don't pay the rent.

3 hours ago, nurktwin said:

but we traveled all over this country to see Tom 

Make that all over the world. But then again, that was when "free" in free world, really was "free". It may not ever happen again from what it seems, since rude and ignorance paired up in one person and took charge. But yeah.. all over the WORLD for real fans, right... just kidding. We all know who the best fan is.

3 hours ago, nurktwin said:

only US

Yeah that really is the way of the president.. But unfortunately, in 2018 that is not the way the world works. YET I know Nurk speaks of experiences WE have, here, and speaking as one miserable,  broke non-American guy myself, I must admit he has a point. Money hasn't got a thing on passion! Just too bad people ruining rock'n'roll in the name of business do not care.

I think it's worth taking into account that too much people, for whom rock'n'roll is meant and who live the real rock'n'roll life, so to speak, can't even afford rock'n'roll these days. (At best they can afford hip-hop.. for now.. ) I also think it worth recognizing how much that sucks, and how much anyone in any ignorant bubble - mine or yours - may not be the best suited person to teach anyone about how it works. I'm sad to say, at the end of the day it's not the number of guitars that decides. If you have hundreds of guitars and I have thousands of records, it doesn't qualify us. Respect, as always, is more complicated than that. Passion and edge comes in many colours.

Look - the Super Deluxe package carries a steep price - I get that.  Still - any complaint about price is not valid, in my opinion.  There is a much less expensive package that includes ALL of the same music.  That is 4 CD's for about $25.  Show me another artist that does that.

There is truly something for everyone here and my point was - it's not a fair criticism to insult the band or their fans just because someone can't or won't afford the more expensive offering.

From all accounts, Tom was a hopeless fan of the music too, so I kinda think he'd understand all the complexities involved here. Also, they've  all said at times how they've always had the best fans & support ... which they appreciate.  ❤️ 

^^ Of course. I already said how much I personally like the pricing. It's sad really, how much of my "good stuff" generally goes unnoticed. Yet, I kept pumping it out. It's the Shelter's curse. 😁 Again though, I find the price to be totally fine!

That said, speaking of insults, none were intended. AND I find passing judgement on other people's real or imagined buying power limits, to be more insulting than passing general judgement on how the "biz" (not the band) have turned for the worst in recent years, estrangeing itself from the working man's ethic of original rock. (See 16 yo Last DJ album for further, not very provoking aspects of this.) If being sad over how things develop is insulting, I guess I am one horribly rude person. But again, fans or band has less to do with it. I wasn't the one questioning fans here, remember. Nor the band really. 

Another ignorable post I'm sure.

All go in grace! 😎

We’re getting screwed on the pricing in Australia. The cheapest price I’ve seen for the standard 4CD edition is $62! We no longer have access to overseas Amazon sites, as we’ve been geo-blocked since July 1.

13 minutes ago, bonddm said:

We’re getting screwed on the pricing in Australia. The cheapest price I’ve seen for the standard 4CD edition is $62! We no longer have access to overseas Amazon sites, as we’ve been geo-blocked since July 1.

I've also heard that video games are pretty expensive for you guys. Even for digital downloads, which pretty much negates any transportation costs. Ouch.

22 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I've also heard that video games are pretty expensive for you guys. Even for digital downloads, which pretty much negates any transportation costs. Ouch.

Yeah, to download one track on iTunes is regularly  $2.19!

On July 11, 2018 at 4:04 PM, MuddyandMagnolia said:

but it's not a live gig it's the 'Keep a Little Soul' digital single outtake

I'm glad they kept this off Long After Dark. So far the song hasn't connected with me, it starts out all right but about halfway through I forget it's even on and becomes background music. Those first eight songs fit together just fine and are top-notch, and the last two are all right, not as good as the others though I like 'em.  We Stand A Chance is a moody yet optimistic song with a really good bridge and I appreciate the sentiment of the final track. I don't think Keep A Little Soul fits in with the album as it was released, its poppy and a bit uptempo which makes it seem like it should fit but it's unmemorable and has a pop sound that doesn't mesh with the other songs. 

In at least one interview Tom (paraphrased) said the record was treading water but I think it was just them expressing their more rocking side again but after having grown from Hard Promises. Much like they again express years and years later with Hypnotic Eye after growing from Mojo. 

No could confuse Damn the Torpedoes with Long After Dark, these songs are a bit more intricate (to my ears anyway) and the album is nicely balanced by a daylight side A and a moodier, nighttime Side B. 

cheers

^ Thank you! I always roam SHF myself for info on certain prints (not often Petty, though, since apart from speculation and private opinions on sound tech details, not much actual Petty insight or facts is usually found there). And, yeah.. those audiophile guys always cracks me up... amazing, passionate bunch of nerds.. like we all are in our ways.. Never noticed Ryan there before though, I think, so that was interesting read.

Come to think of it, odd as it may seem in the eye of Petty fandom, perhaps SHF is where they take requests for the future 😁 Just kidding. Don't go bug Ryan now, you guys...!!

I think Ryan was a somewhat regular poster back in the day, but he's been gone for a while.  It was really cool of him to come back to post.

You know what, though?  There's A LOT of industry eyes on that forum for sure.