jtx84

TP Radio (XM) Special Announcement this week

I've heard something about a special announcement coming up next week... Monday or Tuesday at 6 PM eastern I think, but haven't caught the whole ad yet. Any ideas what this might be?

^ Is it just me, or did they even close it down? Just a front page now, isn't it? Counting down... To a new webpage? An all new set of tumblers? Something actually exciting... (I dare not even say the three words.. or how many there will be now..)? Exciting, admittedly! 😎

Attempting to access any other page on the site just redirects back to the main page.

Took a peek at the page source out of curiosity. Site's running on Drupal. Clearly the webmasters are far more brave (or perhaps just more masochistic) than I will ever be. Aside from that, don't see much else of interest aside from some interesting capitalization:

TomPetty & The HeartBreakers:Teaser Countdown:Landing"

31 minutes ago, TomFest said:

I can still get to the forum, but there isn't anything being revealed there either.  

Really?  All I get is the countdown page.  Tried following links from previous topics...still the countdown page.  No forums.  They could have at least given us some warning that forums would be down.

22 minutes ago, Liberty said:

The photo they turned into a silhouette for the countdown is from 1995, I think.  
Perhaps that's a nod to Wildflowers: All The Rest if whoever made it is that detail oriented. 
It could even be part of the artwork. 

when you google "tom petty 1995" this picture does indeed come up. And the brown/tan/black color scheme is Wildflowers-esque. Fingers crossed!

I'd be very much surprised if it isn't All The Rest. I figure they know there's a demand for it and WF is one of Tom's most popular records, so a companion record makes sense, especially since Tom was working (had completed?) it and wanted it released.

A big elaborate countdown just for a live record release or a new website design would be anti-climatic. Well, for all those who have been waiting years for this, I hope it's All The Rest.

ciao

It'd been "put on hold," though what that actually means is a little vague.

https://www.thepettyarchives.com/archives/magazines/2010s/2017-11-02-rollingstone1299

One of the projects that had been put on hold when Petty died was an expanded reissue of Wildflowers­—all of the tracks for the intended double album plus additional, unreleased songs—followed by a tour showcasing Petty's breakthrough writing on that record. "That would have been smaller-scale, away from the hits," Campbell says. But "plans for that somehow evolved into 'It's the 40th year. Let's do this tour first.'"

In a 2014 conversation with Rolling Stone, Petty recalled the unique genesis of Wildflowers, pointing to a day when his co-producer, Rick Rubin, played him the Beatles' demos for their 1968 double LP, The Beatles. "It hit me how strong the songs were," Petty said, "with just a couple of acoustic guitars. I would try to write in the same fashion. I started to hear a whole new kind of thing coming out."

Petty was flattered when Hillman asked if he could record his own version of Wildflowers' title track for Bidin' My Time. "It is a song of pure love—agape­," Hillman says, using the ancient Greek word. "Then you look at it now. It's almost prophecy: 'You belong in that home by and by.' Most of Tom's stuff—you could describe it as minimalist. But less is more."

Petty returned to the Wildflowers project before his 40th Anniversary marathon was over. "He asked me to call some people," Dimitriades says, "and see if they would come on the road and perform it with him. One—and she said yes immediately—was Norah Jones."

has the TP website ever done this before with the release of an album?  If Mike wasn't touring with FM I would suspect this was a tribute concert announcement.  I will be happy to have all the Rest and / or a professional copy of the last show on video and CD.  

7 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I'd be very much surprised if it isn't All The Rest. I figure they know there's a demand for it and WF is one of Tom's most popular records, so a companion record makes sense, especially since Tom was working (had completed?) it and wanted it released.

A big elaborate countdown just for a live record release or a new website design would be anti-climatic. Well, for all those who have been waiting years for this, I hope it's All The Rest.

ciao

I agree with this. This is a pretty dramatic promotion, it would be a letdown if it wasn't for a significant new release. I hope it's for Wildflowers ATR, and as many mentioned, the image is from that time period, so that's my bet as well. Would be cool if it was an announcement of an even bigger project, like some kind of Playback 2 of new material. But anything new will be great.

I've been listening to Tom Petty Radio for days and haven't heard anything yet, not even a clue. Maybe it's a dvd of the best of the last 3 shows at the Hollywood Bowl, who knows? Well someone does! Let's hope for the best.