Jon Scott

My New Book-Tom Petty And me

I got a few chuckles from some comments I saw back in December from a couple of folks who wondered who this Jon Scott fella is?

As well someone made the comment about my book saying he's just probably "cashing in"

Well yes I have a new book coming and it was going to be about me entire music biz life, but when Tom died, I couldn't write about other bands I worked with like The Who,

Skynyrd, Elton, etc......Tom and I were friends for 40 years and when I saw him in Memphis I told him I was writing a book and he said just tell it like it is..some may call it pooh pooh but shortly after his death he visited me in a dream (happens quite a bit) and he said call it Tom Petty And Me. I am a legit friend of his and if anybody has read Warren Zanes Biography, you will find out my connection with the band. At Tom's last show at the Hollywood Bowl, he even dedicated a song to me

so for those  few who think I'm cashing in, you're wrong. I'm just telling my life story with Tom. The book was delayed because of my daughter's illness (family first) but it's still coming and can be pre-ordered at www.TomPettyAndMe.com    I just wanted to set the record straight. Thanks everybody

Thanks for popping on, Jon. 
I pre-ordered your book a while back. I hope your daughter finds some relief. 
Aimee and I (we run the Petty Archives) both have several chronic illnesses, so I know how frustrating it can be on every level, from lack of energy to lack of funds. You're right -- family comes first and so does health. 
But that doesn't mean I'm not getting impatient! :P lol kidding. 

I interviewed Zanes for his Petty book and wrote a review for our site. Link. 
If you're interested, I'd love to do something similar once your book is released! :) 

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Jon Scott said:

who wondered who this Jon Scott fella is?

I had no clue who you were but congratulations on the book; when I've chance I plan on checking it out, another perspective on Petty sounds good to me.

shortly after his death he visited me in a dream (happens quite a bit) and he said call it Tom Petty And Me.

Thanks for sharing, that's powerful. There's more to this life than the material, I know people who have dreamed of those who recently passed away or were contacted by them in a dream.

At Tom's last show at the Hollywood Bowl, he even dedicated a song to me

so for those  few who think I'm cashing in, you're wrong. I'm just telling my life story with Tom. The book was delayed because of my daughter's illness (family first) but it's still coming

I'll keep an eye out for that dedication next time I check out the show online, pretty cool. Hope your daughter is better. 

Thanks for sharing all this.

cheers

5 hours ago, Liberty said:

Aimee and I (we run the Petty Archives) both have several chronic illnesses, so I know how frustrating it can be on every level, from lack of energy to lack of funds.

Hi. Whenever you get things sorted out and want to do the interview, pop over to the Contact page. Use either the form or Liberty's email; she does all the featured articles and neat stuff like that. i just handle the technical details.

Is there planned to be an eBook version? I've love to get it at some point but I'm Canadian and tend to get burned pretty badly on shipping costs. 

Hi Jon - I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, and yes, family always comes first!  I have preordered the book already and am so excited to read it, but I'm being patient.  I love the story you told in one recent interview about what Stan said to you when you first met the band, so I know there's even better stories to come!  Thanks for coming on here to interact with us.

22 hours ago, Jon Scott said:

definitely interested!

Jon

Thanks. I'll reach out once I read the book. :)
We're facebook friends so you can disregard Aimee's comment about using the contact form. 
I'll get in touch after I get my copy! Looking forward to it! :D

Liberty

Sounds cool !

Ignore the sanctimonious trolls that do not know you but judge your motives.  

Personally I don't think there's anything remotely odd about dreaming of someone you were friends with that has died.  It might be odd if you never dreamed of them.

PS,  I hope your daughter is OK now. 

I've got the book now, and I'm almost half-way through.  So far, a lot of it has been about the author, but I guess you have to lay a foundation. It is coming from a different place than the other books about Tom Petty, and gives a look at him from another angle.  I guess the message is that we shouldn't underestimate the importance of the promo guys in helping to jump-start a young artist's career in music.  At least in 1977 anyway. I suppose it's nothing like that anymore. 

Well yes it does lay a foundation because it's my story of how I met Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers. Yes, Promo Men and Women were the driving force back in the days and that doesn't happen anymore. To quote Stan Lynch "

If you’re really lucky, your band will find it’s champion. The key man who opens the doors. For The Heartbreakers, it was Jon. He climbed in the van with us and did the repetitive, heavy lifting that got our music on the Radio. I cannot thank him enough for being there when we needed him. There’s no Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers without Jon Scott"

Stan Lynch  Original Drummer – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 

3 hours ago, TomFest said:

I guess the message is that we shouldn't underestimate the importance of the promo guys in helping to jump-start a young artist's career in music.  At least in 1977 anyway. I suppose it's nothing like that anymore. 

Exactly.  Jon comes from a completely different era of the music industry in general, and I'm really enjoying the sort of nuts-and-bolts aspect he gives us in his book because it was a lot of work!

I read this book and enjoyed it, BTW. 
I keep meaning to put a review up on the Archives but I haven't done it yet. I'm behind on absolutely everything right now, so I'm not sure when I will get around to it. 

Jon - If you're still around, I wanted to circle back and thank you for the book.  I loved evesdropping on all of the history between you and Tom.  And thanks for all you did for the band in the earliest days.  I have a feeling their progression may have gone differently without your intervention way back when.  Well done.

On November 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM, Liberty said:

I read this book and enjoyed it, BTW. 
I keep meaning to put a review up on the Archives but I haven't done it yet. I'm behind on absolutely everything right now, so I'm not sure when I will get around to it. 

I read your review on the archives, nicely expressed.