Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Guitar of the day

Those are cool - kind of a more blingy version of George's DuoJet.  I'm just not a Gretsch guy. I have '67 Chet, but I just find it unwieldy and I'm not a huge fan of the tone.  The Penguin would be closer to Les Paul territory - which I also have covered.  They do look nice though.

Ooh, I do like this.   New for 2019.....single P90, doublecut, Gibson Les Paul Junior.  And I like the "worn cherry" finish.  The pickguard is a lot different than the old 50's Juniors, but I like it. 

I will have one of these, but it may be a little bit. The slush fund took a beating recently when I bought a Taylor 416ce-R.  I don't even have it yet, and I'm already lusting after another guitar.  It's a curse.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-2019-electric-guitar

Paying extra for the "Buck Owens" connection.  They don't mention his name of course, but that's what it is.  I remember seeing him play various red, white, and blue guitars on "Hee Haw" back in the day.   I know about 20 years ago Fender released a Buck Owens red, white, and blue Telecaster.

The other thing I notice about that guitar - and others from that maker - is the use of something called "whitewood" for the back and sides.  "Whitewood" is a generic name for any number of different kinds of wood - not necessarily tonewoods.  Could be anything - which leads me to believe these guitars could all sound wildly different from each other depending on which "whitewood" was used.  

^   I agree completely, it's just a cheap copy and I would never buy one. I almost bought a 70's Squire Strat today, but opted out. Instead I bought a Nike Orange Cleveland Browns Game jersey with my name and number on it for $150. AND I don't even have a favorite football team!!!!! Almost bought blue and gold shirts from the RAMS and CHARGERS too, that would have been $450 for 3 shirts!! Gotta get off the sports sites and back to guitars.

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Here's a nice guitar made in Gibson's Memphis factory. Semi Hollow Les Paul. List price $3650.

ESLP16TANH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

If I didn't already have a Custom Shop Historic Les Paul, I would have gone for this.  Les Paul's can be quite heavy, and these semi-hollow Les Paul's should be considerably lighter and still sound like they should.

^  If you are going for the Epiphone G1275 double neck to replace the $7000 Gibson to play "Stairway to Heaven" or "hotel California" think twice. The Huge flaw in the Epi is that it only has 20 frets, while the expensive Gibson has 22. That's enough to ruin your day after you spend $1100 for the Epiphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 frets -vs- 22 frets wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on a double-neck guitar.  Especially on the 12 string neck.  22 frets is nice if you want to play David Gilmore stuff way up there on a 6-string neck.  I have other guitars for that, and I have guitars that don't have 22 frets and we get along fine.  The problem with a double-neck is the weight and the purchase price for a guitar that would never be my #1.

I believe Page got his mostly for "Stairway" so he could switch between 6 and 12 string guitars within the same song, but my favorite of his work is on "The Song Remains The Same" from the live album of the same name.  He plays all of those incredible solos on the 12-string neck.

Yeah speaking of 22 frets - I'm loving that thing.  It has great unrestricted access all the way up to the 22nd fret.  The body/neck join is at the 22 fret. I can make my feeble attempts at the "Money" and "Comfortably Numb" solos up there on the dusty end of the fretboard.  The P90 pickup is just fierce. The satin finish on the neck is built for speed.  When I want to play angry guitar, this is the one I grab.

The 2 pickup version would be even more versatile, but this one is great for anything loud and crunchy.  I've cycled back to the first Montrose album again, and it sounds great on those songs.  I'll usually power through some Joe Walsh tunes with this also.