Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Forks Over Knives: A good documentary on the food/health connection and reversing illness

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/#gs.pd50QKA

The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods. Check out SynopsisCast & Crew, and Celebrity Talk to learn more about the film.

"Their research led them to a startling conclusion: degenerative diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even several forms of cancer, could almost always be prevented—and in many cases reversed—by adopting a whole-food, plant-based diet."

Oh jesus, not this bullshit. Diet won't cure cancer. It can help with its prognosis but it can't cure it. Eating less meat/processed foods and more plants is a good thing but humans are omnivores. 

I found Forks over Knives to be just alright. 
My favorite food documentaries are Cooked by Michael Pollan (Netflix, also a book) and Fed Up (probably still on Netflix).  
Gary Taubes has some good content too, particularly The Case Against Sugar (book).

I do think certain diets can help illnesses. Sugar helps cancer spread, it helps bacteria spread, and avoiding sugar all together has helped many people prolong their lives with terminal cancer diagnoses, and has helped people with Lyme disease go into remission. 
With that being said, I think the worst thing about meat and some products is more where they're coming from and what they're consuming. 
Grass fed beef from a small farm is a lot better for you and the environment than industrial beef, same with eating any animal.

The biggest misconception I see is that people think organic produce is so much better for you than non-organic; going so far as to think it has "no pesticides" but that isn't the case for the most part. Organic simply means the chemicals and pesticides they use are NOT synthetic (aka man-made). There are a lot of dangerous natural/organic chemicals used in the production of produce also. Just buy the produce you want, organic or not, and wash it really well. Better yet, grow some of it at home. 

I definitely am not a fan of people who propose, "eat what you want in moderation." So, I am not a calorie counter. 100 calories worth of Oreos is not the equivalent of 100 calories worth of banana. I lean more towards believing a normal human diet should be rooted in real food, not food-like-products. I do think meat can be a healthy part of a diet. But should it be the centerpiece of every meal? No. Diets vary widely, not just because of regional cuisine, but because we all need our own diet to do something specific for our body. We are all different. Some people diet to lose weight, some to gain wait, some to maintain, and some need a diet that is rich in potassium, sodium, sulfates, or whatever. Some people need to avoid nightshades, gluten, soy, etc. Some people need to have a diet rich in probiotics to combat digestion issues, mental health issues, etc.  

I think the take-away here is that we are all unique and face unique challenges in the diets that best suit us. There shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all approach. We should be sensitive to what our bodies tell us and respond adequately with dietary revisions.  With that being said, teaching about different ways of eating should be taught in schools along with home economics, financial management, and other basic education topics. We need to have enough education in health, biology, and nutrition to make educated decisions about our diets.

Edited to add this:
After all, how can you trust the public school system/government to properly educate on nutrition when they think Frosted Flakes are better for you than an avocado? The FDA is bought and sold by big sugar; coca-cola funds many of the studies they cite in their nutrition reports. The food pyramid with processed grains as a base needs to die. Good fats are not bad for us. Sugar is not healthy. The rise in obesity is directly related to the government's public stance on saturated fats. Companies replaced fat with sugar in products. It's killing us. 

My mood is generally better when I refrain from all processed sugar, energy levels are higher the healthier I eat in combination with working out. When I indulge in sugar I think, why did I do that to myself? When I exercise I feel good.

2 minutes ago, Liberty said:

100 calories worth of Oreos is not the equivalent of 100 calories worth of banana.

I've heard of people who have lost weight eating very small calories of junkfood but I agree, forks over knives...bananas over oreos!

cheers

5 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

My mood is generally better when I refrain from all processed sugar, energy levels are higher the healthier I eat in combination with working out. When I indulge in sugar I think, why did I do that to myself? When I exercise I feel good.

I've heard of people who have lost weight eating very small calories of junkfood but I agree, forks over knives...bananas over oreos!

cheers

Yeah, maybe they did lose weight (I know what you're referring to. A guy did lose weight eating like Hostess stuff and Oreos)... but what would a diet like that do to the heart and arteries? The good gut bacteria? The insulin sensitivity levels? Wreck them all.  

Cutting calories CAN help you lose weight, but if those calories consist of processed carbs, they're going to come back and bite you in the ass in the years to come. Just like smoking does. It seems enjoyable in the moment, but years later when you have heart failure or lung cancer, we realize maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all. 

I'd have to read up a bit more about it, but from my understanding, the "low-fat" trend of food manufacturers backfired a bit. They removed the fat, but then increased the amount of sugar in the food, which really isn't much healthier. 

I get a kick out of the whole "organic," "non-GMO," "all-natural" trends. Just because it's natural doesn't necessarily make it any healthier. Cyanide can be found in nature. (Anti-GMO shouldn't be conflated with anti-Monsanto, though. Monsanto is a whole other bag of worms.)

12 hours ago, Liberty said:

I do think certain diets can help illnesses. Sugar helps cancer spread, it helps bacteria spread, and avoiding sugar all together has helped many people prolong their lives with terminal cancer diagnoses, and has helped people with Lyme disease go into remission. 

For what it matters, a ketogenic diet (high-fat, low-carb) diet can and has be used to treat refactory epilepsy in children. I might be misunderstanding this, but ketone bodies (which are produced in elevated levels) are possible anticonvulsant,