MaryJanes2ndLastDance

TPATH'S Final Show

Having only watched certain songs I decided to watch the whole thing, which has me asking:

Did anyone here go to that concert? I know some saw the previous night but anywhere here for the end of the tour?

What did you think of the show?

There's some interesting guitar playing by Mike on Breakdown, I think You Wreck Me is one of the most inspired and was a standout on this tour. The Hattie Sisters did a good job. 

I'm also glad some people taped it and some edited it together.

So what did you think, if you can, apart from this being the final TPATH show but what did you think of it as a concert that night or if you weren't there, what do you make of it now?

Think they'll do a live album of it some day?

cheers

1 hour ago, Marion said:

This show never ended up on Dime.  I wonder why or if there will be an official release.

I'd prefer an official unaltered release of the show with a  bonus e.p. with deep cuts from other nights. At the same time, it may just be too painful for the band, knowing that was the final night. Or...they could view it as a worthwhile document because it was the final night. I reckon they played with some extra fire since it was the last night of the tour. I'll wait to offer my opinion on this show till I've watched and listened to the rest of it.

Any other thoughts on the second-to-last night Marion?

cheers

I Should Have Known It sounds like it was coming from a terrible pain, which beyond the song's inherent emotion, could most likely have been from the physical pain poor Tom was going through. There's that slightly long pause around 1:33:10; whereas before the song sounded like a supercharged heavy blues, now it feels a bit stripped back and heavier than ever, the double time slower. Like a wound. 

Or I could be reading into things based on what we all know now.

I am just so happy I went to that show, not only because it was the last one I would see ever see but because the whole experience was fun and special at the Hollywood Bowl. The band was having a good time and the fan response felt amazing.  Tom left us too soon but he went out at the top and he was totally loved and he felt it.  

Good mornin',

In answer to your question, no I wasn't at the final show but was very fortunate to be at the second to last show on the 22nd. My favorite number from that magical evening was "Into The Great Wide Open". It's one of my very favorite songs of Tom's and a very special treat to hear at the Hollywood Bowl, as you can imagine.

But, on to the reason why I'm commenting anyway. I wanted to correct the name of the fantastic "Hattie" Sisters.

They are actually named the WEBB Sisters - Charley and Hattie Webb, and they traveled all the way from their home in England to join the boys on this memorable tour.

Their two beautiful voices somehow meld into one exquisite instrument that, to me, was as integral to the overall musical presentation as any other instrument or performer on stage during this tour. In fact, it appeared to me that at this September 22 Hollywood concert, the audio level of the Webb Sister's had been increased since when I first saw/heard the show three weeks earlier in Sacramento, so evidently someone else must've agreed, too!

My hope is that a live album (hopefully a double!) is in the works as we speak and the world will get to hear what these wonderful songs sounded like with the inclusion of the incredible Webb Sisters!

3 hours ago, barry said:

Good mornin',

In answer to your question, no I wasn't at the final show but was very fortunate to be at the second to last show on the 22nd. My favorite number from that magical evening was "Into The Great Wide Open". It's one of my very favorite songs of Tom's and a very special treat to hear at the Hollywood Bowl, as you can imagine.

Glad you got to hear it.

3 hours ago, barry said:

They are actually named the WEBB Sisters - Charley and Hattie Webb, and they traveled all the way from their home in England to join the boys on this memorable tour.

Webb! Noted, thanks.

3 hours ago, barry said:

My hope is that a live album (hopefully a double!) is in the works as we speak and the world will get to hear what these wonderful songs sounded like with the inclusion of the incredible Webb Sisters!

A double live album with a nice booklet and maybe if they were up to it a few words from the band too. Regardless, hopefully a high quality yet affordable package.

cheers

You Wreck Me is a definite highlight of the show.

Not to make this a Stan/Steve thing but American Girl almost sounds like he's playing more like Stan, a bit behind the beat when it started.

Interesting how much Tom loved the city and it was the place of their final performance.

Tom's last autographs there were classy. I got a bit of emotion at their last bow. Set list complaints aside, while tempos may have shifted slowed a bit towards the end of their career, the band was never embarrassing or less than professional on stage from what I've seen. Even things like the horns in Plantation were a mistaken experiment in a long  career. 

Rest in peace Tom.

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Nice! Anything in particular stood out for you that night? Had you seen TPATH before?

cheers and welcome to the 'Farm.

Thank you!  Been lurking for a while, but was thinking about Tom quite a bit today when I came across this thread.  I have been lucky enough to see the band a few times over the years and the atmosphere thar night was electric and so was the show.  Met some real nice people in line for merch who attended the show even though there was a wildfire going that threatened their home and neighborhood.  The entire band (Tom especially) looked more at ease than I think I've ever seen them and quite happy to be home playing for family and friends.  I remember how enthusiastic the crowd was, one of the best.  The gratitude Tom showed the audience was given back just as much.  Lots of fans shouting "We love you!" and "Thank you!" right back at Tom.

Some funny moments like when Mike's Gretsch White Falcon went horribly out of tune during Wildflowers, he gave up and sat on the drum riser and tossed picks in to the crowd for the rest of the song.  While introducing Free Fallin', Tom had asked the crowd "Do you want to do a big sing-a-long?  I love those!" and turned to face a laughing Mike.

One moment that truly stuck out in my mind, but only came back to me after Tom's passing was after Refugee when Steve was counting in Runnin' Down A Dream.  Seated next to me was a young couple, probably not even out of their teens yet.  As Steve clicked his drum sticks together, the young man turned to his girlfriend and was so excited.  He knew what was coming next.  He said "Here we go, here we go!" and cheered loudly.  After Tom passed, that memory came back to me and it gave me hope for the future of rock and roll.  There are still kids out there who appreciate the finer things in life, like going to a Heartbreakers show.  As long as there are younger people out there discovering his music, he will never die.  That has brought me a bit of peace these past few months.  

On June 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM, downsouth26 said:

Some funny moments like when Mike's Gretsch White Falcon went horribly out of tune during Wildflowers, he gave up and sat on the drum riser and tossed picks in to the crowd for the rest of the song.  

Nice.

On June 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM, downsouth26 said:

when Steve was counting in Runnin' Down A Dream.  Seated next to me was a young couple, probably not even out of their teens yet.  As Steve clicked his drum sticks together, the young man turned to his girlfriend and was so excited.  He knew what was coming next.  He said "Here we go, here we go!" and cheered loudly.  After Tom passed, that memory came back to me and it gave me hope for the future of rock and roll.  

Thanks for sharing all of this, glad you got to be there!

15 minutes ago, Liberty said:

FWIW, this is Charley Webb's video that she posted to her FB page Saturday in case anyone wanted to know where it came from, credit where credit's due. :)

Right on, thanks. I didn't know where it came from.  I somewhat remember coming across it a whole ago, just not sure where. Figured one of the sisters filmed it.