Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

The Extended Jam Extravaganza Thread

I think the most epic of the IGTBK jamathons down the years was Lucca Italy in 2012, doubly extended Steve drum breakdown outro which is awesome. Check it out. I would also strongly suggest that Lucca Italy 2012 is right up there as one of their very best live shows ever...a few great variations that night..You Wreck Me thrown in to great effect in song number 2 position, the best live version jamming of Something Big I've heard, IGTBK as already mentioned, Mike does a few different flourishes in Refugee and Tom asks the crowd if it's OK if they play on a bit and brings out Two Men Talkin. Definitely check out the audio boot of this show..one showe'd up on YouTube recently with good quality sound and the audience conversation filtered 

On 6/28/2018 at 4:07 AM, Shelter said:

Fun fact: Just weeks prior to this performance TPATH had a few of their rare old guitars stolen from the "Clubhouse" in Culver City. No wonder then, that among the crooks and goons Tom tells of seeing inside the Cypress Lounge, there are not only "retired shrimp boat captains", but there are also... guitar theifs! Way to improvise, Tom! 

Do you think it's true?
Do you think this guy actually bumped into Tom Petty at the Cypress Lounge sometime around 1983?

http://maybebabyoryouknowthatitwouldbeuntrue.blogspot.com/2010/10/even-losers.html

Now perhaps you're being facetious, but since the person who runs the blog states:

Maybe Baby is “partly truth, partly fiction.” It's a completely different take on rock and roll history. 

...that particular story is only kind of true, you know?  Fascinating, though, to think of what might have happened.

On June 18, 2018 at 5:03 AM, Shelter said:

^ Indeed. Of course also at Rockpalast, 77... with visuals.

I like the sound of Tom's guitar, whatever settings he had, overdrive etc. and the whole chug-chug sound of the rhythm. This has that 70s sound of high quality drum sound and nice blend of instruments without sounding too dated.

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/artists/mike-campbell-discusses-his-new-gig-with-fleetwood-mac-and-an-epic-new-tom-petty-box-set?fbclid=IwAR13RLErblt0gqA7U1Yy2_YOfisRqiozbsFUZq3EWQG-fGlUcuOV5gtewDw

“Black Magic Woman” is one where you get to dip into your blues roots with some nice soloing.

Yes. And it’s great to hear a woman’s point of view, because Stevie sings it. We turned it around a little bit, the character of it. But you know, the first part of the song is true to Peter Green’s arrangement, and at the end it goes into a shuffle where the band can actually play very spontaneously. We jam. I go over by Christine [McVie], she plays a little piano for a while and it’s unrehearsed. And then Mick and I get into a thing and it’s all very on-the-floor, loose, spontaneous playing, which I love to do. So that song represents both sides of the band — the polished side and the exciting by-the-seat-of-your-pants thing

That's my biggest curiosity about the Dirty Knobs, how are their songs on a studio album and how much will Mike let loose in concert with them. It's interesting how someone so tasteful with his leads and embellishments on TPATH albums also has this jamming side; and while it did get expressed with TPATH on stage, it'll be fun perhaps to see how much he lets loose with the Dirty Knobs in the future.

cheers

On May 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Shelter said:

I know some of us like their 20 minutes instrumentals with a fever that borders addiction, while others prefer it short, sweet and close to the studio versions, but I was thinking that this thread could be dedicated to the why and how come. 

On one level I think it's the same as personal taste, this person likes their hamburger bloody raw, these like it blackened, some decline to partake, so there really isn't an explanation. But if one were to manufacture a reason it could be:

1) as simple as wanting to hear a song one enjoys for a longer period of time than the album take

2) enjoying the live musical skill necessary to be able to jam/improvise and getting to see it happen in real time

3) the feeling of getting something different from the live experience other than "same songs played slightly faster"

The people I know in real life who don't care for live versions, who blanche at hearing the extended Mary Jane is because they so love/ike the original that any deviation is just unwelcome to them. I guess again, personal aesthetic. 

But since the question as to "why and how come" I don't think was answered (I didn't go back and re-read all this so maybe it was) that's my take on it. 

Maybe someone else has another?

cheers

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Interesting.

Did you ever see them in concert? If yes and they played something like It's Good To Be King did you go to the bathroom/buy a beer or something?

Do you skip the extended versions on live recordings? Do you listen to live albums from the band?

cheers

Yes I saw them in concert at Wembley arena in 1991. I will never forget when the lights came on and Tom said "oh baby" and went straight into ITGWO Then Kings Highway. They did some of the ITGWO album (obviously) a few of their hits and some new songs and quite a few covers. Actually I think one of the new songs was "You get me high" which I love.

I also remember he said "if you have a train to catch you may be late as we're here for well over 2 hours".

I can't remember any extended jams that night. I have a lot of live stuff and I don't bother with extended versions like IGTBK, to me that's filler but each to their own. 😁

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Actually I think one of the new songs was "You get me high" which I love.

Good! Stan's last tour too.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have a lot of live stuff and I don't bother with extended versions like IGTBK, to me that's filler but each to their own. 😁

All right, thanks for sharing your perspective. 

cheers