Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

The Extended Jam Extravaganza Thread

3 hours ago, mikemono said:

Forgot that they also did a medley of "Money (That's What I Want)" with "King Bee" on 7-20-02. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wv7NQYIsTEGsmbm_EN3jxGv13wYWZM7e

Thanks, it's nice to hear these more obscure covers. If you don't have it, check out the Red Rocks show from that tour, great version of Too Much Ain't Enough, and a quite long version of Hi Heel Sneakers and I think Down Home Girl if you like the covers. August 19th.

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

If you don't have it, check out the Red Rocks show from that tour, great version of Too Much Ain't Enough, and a quite long version of Hi Heel Sneakers and I think Down Home Girl if you like the covers. August 19th.

That's also a great show from that tour! Great sounding recording too.

If they ever decided to release complete shows from tours this would be a good one. A lot of jamming, a sense the band wants to be there for a while, and like I said, just one of the best versions of Too Much Ain't Enough. The only thing I don't care for is Gloria but for a lot of people it's s positive..!

cheers

2 hours ago, mikemono said:

That's also a great show from that tour! Great sounding recording too.

For fans of the Last Dj it has Lost Children, Can't Stop the Sun and Have Love Will Travel nicely spaced out through the set. I just listened to Too Much again, the neat riff starts around 6:34 as the whole band sounds wonderfully unhinged!

cheers

Reminds me of what is sometimes said of Led Zeppelin in live jam mode... That sometimes they got so deep far into the zone, that Robert didn't even know how to get back into the song for his vocals. Sometimes he just left the stage and let them sort it out. Other times he just took his chances and wailed right back in. At least we know Tom would've never allowed that to happen. :)

13 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I don't know if you can call the "noodling under the intro" a jam but I love the extended versions of Spike where Tom is a story teller.  

Yeah.. to me that Spike story routine in general is rather tired, but I must say that May 1, 2012 one, is among the best ever! Really great way to introduce the song and to keep the story going at the end like that. Good version of the story too. After all, this is a song that, in a way, begs to be tangled up in some kinda storytelling. 

Fun fact: Just weeks prior to this performance TPATH had a few of their rare old guitars stolen from the "Clubhouse" in Culver City. No wonder then, that among the crooks and goons Tom tells of seeing inside the Cypress Lounge, there are not only "retired shrimp boat captains", but there are also... guitar theifs! Way to improvise, Tom! 

(Oh, and in case you wondered: the stolen guitars had been found and recovered by the time Tom performed this Spike version.) 

I had heard about the theft and recovery of the guitars but I didnt put together the "guitar thief" comment from that video, cool!!  Thanks for sharing Shelter.  

My nickname in my teens was spike (not because of a dog collar) due to semi spiky, short hair from the mid 80s LOL  far from punk rock. :P :lol:

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

My nickname in my teens was spike (not because of a dog collar) due to semi spiky, short hair from the mid 80s LOL  far from punk rock. :P :lol:

In The Sims 2, I actually had a Sim with both a dog collar and spiky hair. Her name was Pastel Grunge.

j4UcxqD.png

I've since lost that save to game corruption. I miss Pastel.