Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

The Extended Jam Extravaganza Thread

Do you mean that you're missing context?  'Cause it was 1964 when that song first came out.  So asking a girl to let her hair hang down, well, that could be a double entendre.  But the real joke is what Tom says about Stan...

"This verse embarrasses Stan."

...and I'm picturing the crew just cracking up so bad they first time they heard that bit.  Especially if Stan was trying to look chagrined.

But that was a real thing.  It was okay to have songs about bad boys but songs about bad girls was still sort of frowned upon.

I remember at the time of that setlist choice it seemed like the bands which played frat parties would do a medley of "Hang On Sloopy" and "Wild Thing" and some other song so it was all kind of the same chords.    I love their cover of this because it's so fun, it has that same vibe.

Speaking of covers - and going O/T I know, sorry - but I continue to be disappointed that they swapped out "Down The Road A Piece" for "Psychotic Reaction" even though I know why they did - the latter is a more interesting song to play, but Stan sounds so good on the former.  I was glad he dusted it off again for the Road Turkey reunion.

That was pretty funny. 

The 1960s seemed like a pretty crazy time. There was an FBI investigation about the Kingsmens' version of Louie, Louie, because people thought the lyrics were obscene. They investigated it for like four months before coming to the conclusion that the lyrics were incomprehensible even when slowed down. The best part about this is that there's a clearly audible "fuck!" from the drummer when he dropped his sticks.

I tell you what, it's time to extend this topic.

Too bad they never extended the electric version of Learning To Fly the way they had with the acoustic sing-along. The first time I heard this one live I liked it quite a bit, but many audience recordings and youtube clips later it's gotten a bit boring; shame they never returned to the original.

Was Can't Stop the Sun extended in concert? Seems like it was a little bit, that was another one ripe for experimentation in the outro.

It seems to a degree, that IGTBK was the big focus of their jamming in concert, big long moody song, perhaps a favorite of theirs to play and see where it took them before the song's conclusion.

cheers

On May 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Shelter said:

Dog on The Run (several early versions, 77/78 era, as displayed below, from the 77 Record Plant sessions), 

I think I liked this song more for the jamming throughout than the song itself in the beginning. Since then it's grown on me, the sharpness of the guitars, that groove they'd come to play with over the course of their career. But the lyrics don't really connect and sometimes it sounds flat but overall I like it for the jamming and of course the Ron Blair bass solo, that part is fantastic!

On May 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Shelter said:

Tweeter & The Monkey Man (2013 only, but what a performance - 10 minutes of bliss at the Fonda!)

I go back and forth on the original song sometimes I like it other times I don't but I do enjoy this live version, what an unexpected treat for people at those shows. I think it also goes for whatever reason, a lot of their own deep catalog was left alone, sure some nice ones were pulled out during that run of shows but again, why play a cover from Tom's other band instead of their own material? However, they did play it and it's quite a nice moody piece live. The band excelled at these midtempo groove songs, particularly live.

My impression is while the band always had a long number or two in concert, the number of songs they extended and the degree to which they did went up considerably with the ITGWO tour and with Wildflowers on and were more prone to jam on their own numbers a bit more than covers.

cheers

Here's an interesting one (though I doubt it'd really be considered a 'jam'), from Detroit, June 18, 1981. A medley of "Somethin' Else" and, according to the text file included with the download, "Not Fade Away" and "Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger." I don't believe they've ever done something like this since. In most of the 1981 shows I have, they close with either Wild Thing or Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll. 

Audience recording, encoded with Nero AAC (far better format than MP3) as the original FLAC was too big to attach. Sorry, no ID3 tags.

21 Somethin' Else Medley.m4a

2 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Here's an interesting one (though I doubt it'd really be considered a 'jam'), from Detroit, June 18, 1981. A medley of "Somethin' Else" and, according to the text file included with the download, "Not Fade Away" and "Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger." I don't believe they've ever done something like this since. In most of the 1981 shows I have, they close with either Wild Thing or Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll. 

Audience recording, encoded with Nero AAC (far better format than MP3) as the original FLAC was too big to attach. Sorry, no ID3 tags.

21 Somethin' Else Medley.m4a

I agree! I don't think they ever did some kind of medley in concert and the way they split the two songs is really cool. I always wondered why the person who posted that boot put "Not Fade Away" in that medley title, since they definitely don't sing any of the lyrics. And that Bo Diddley beat is in "Not Fade Away" anyway, so I've labeled it as just a "Something Else" and "Gunslinger" medley. In any case, shows from '81 are a real treasure! Don't know of any soundboard recordings from that tour, though, unfortunately.

On June 21, 2018 at 6:41 PM, mikemono said:

I agree! I don't think they ever did some kind of medley in concert

I used to think medleys were a good idea till I heard them and realized that usually each part of the medley made me want to hear the whole song and therefore was more frustrating than enjoyable.

cheers

Here's another one from my collection - again, probably not an actual jam. During the 1987 Rock and Roll Caravan tour, "For What Its Worth" was a part of the setlist. And although my copy of the Jacksonville soundboard recording omits it, Tom gets rather political at the beginning with a speech.

Here's the one from June 23, 1987 at Cuyahoga Falls. This time it's actually tagged!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - For What It's Worth.m4a

Thanks, I've got that one somewhere. First time, it's interesting but the second time I don't need to listen to his long speech, would've preferred to just let the music "talk". But thanks for sharing.

That tour has the really good Jammin' Me with the extended intro and outro, too bad that version didn't make the Live Anthology. It's a really neat version if you can find it.

cheers

1 hour ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Download and listened to Jammin' Me. Extended intro similar to other 1987 shows. Thank you again.

Jacksonville show - think it was omitted. All other setlists I've seen have the song. 

Glad you got it; odd that they didn't include that song, especially considering what a good version of it they played on that tour. 

cheers